The Man Who Sued God - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Sued God Reviews

½ August 13, 2011
I expected something a bit funnier from Billy Connolly but it wasn't a bad movie. I managed to watch it right until the rather predictable end too.
½ July 18, 2011
An intriguing concept, thrown away with the kind of slipshod Australian writing that is too impressed with its own cleverness to be really funny. Billy Connolly overcomes an early lapse into slapstick to become a solid lead. We see too little of Emily Browning in this one of her earliest roles.
½ July 14, 2011
Very Nice movie and intellectually interesting
½ June 21, 2011
Frightfully intelligent and witty.
May 3, 2011
A brilliant comedy that is so absurd that it could be true:) A lawyer, who decides that there are more important things in life than mad rush to earn money, quits his job and leads a happy life of a fisherman. Happy until his boat is destroyed by a lightning and the insurance company refuses to pay a compensation as this was "the Act of God". So he becomes a lawyer again and takes his case against the Lord to the court. He chooses the Church as His representatives and puts the Church in a very awkward situation - if they win they will prove that God doesn't exist... Brilliant concept, great acting, funny and thought-provoking. Especially if you hate insurance companies and the small print that protects them and makes you vulnerable, and it doesn't protect you against the very things that you actually need to be protected against.
March 23, 2011
How refreshing. Funny. Cheesy in a good way. Uplifting. And, Connolly was impressive.
½ November 29, 2010
A fun movie about an ex-lawyer suing God to get at the insurance companies that cite acts of God whenever they do not want to pay. The movie is funny; the only problem I had was with the unbalanced sound track, making the movie too loud in terms of music, difficult for me to hear the dialogue. Connolly is great, and especially the group of religious leaders is delightful.
½ September 3, 2010
Not as bad as I thought it would be, not really trying to sue God but fed up of insurance companies.
September 3, 2010
Not a bad film. Particularly on a film that deals with a saying concerning insurance that in the end can not be provided. Billy Conolly is funny in this one though, there are some far out hilarious. The rest of the film is alright for a simple ordinary film there is nothing else plainly great about it
½ July 4, 2010
Brilliant and funny and quite possibly a goer
July 4, 2010
A comedy starring Bill Conolly. The idea behind this is brilliant !!!! I loved it. Unfortunately it doesn't come that good on screen. Its not a bad movie, but it could have been much better.I liked Bill Connoly though. I am sure not everyone is going to like this movie, but i think it is a must see, just for the idea behind this movie.
½ June 23, 2010
A nice enjoyable comedy, with a bit of heart chucked in, the early parts of the film are really funny, then the film takes a more serious turn.

Billy Connolly delivers m real good peformance as the x-lawyer, he truly holds it together. It delves into some pretty heavy theories and subjects related to the acts of god clause, it makes you think.

Quite a solid, entertainning Aussie Comedy....
June 22, 2010
Disappointing, if compared to Connolly's stand up.
June 18, 2010
Although the ending was pretty cheesy I thought this was a decent film!
½ June 9, 2010
An incredible idea for a movie ruined by a shitty cast and their shitty acting, horrible video quality (think the shit you would watch on Public Access TV, except that you expect PATV to look like shit). Still, I'd love to see this idea explored further, because it could have, and SHOULD HAVE, been an interesting concept for a film.
May 25, 2010
yeah its an old film ... but I watched it again the other day... and loved it... again... the concept of this flick is superb ... if you ain't seen this yet please watch it ...
April 21, 2010
Love Billy. Nit the best movie I have ever seen, but enjoyed most of this one
April 19, 2010
Plot: V.Good (4/5)
S-Fx: No
Emotional pull: No
½ April 16, 2010
I liked the movie until the dove flew through the window. the dove was a little too much - so unreal.
½ April 9, 2010
The story was great and could have been a fascinating film. But somehow some things turned it down. Sad case!