The Man Who Would Be King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Would Be King Reviews

April 17, 2016
I had planned on reading the popular book from Kipling but then I stumbled onto the movie. There are many classic adventure books that, after soaring to literary heights, plummeted when daft hands got hold of them and turned them into muddled unimpressive films. But when John Huston gets his hands on something, it will be impressive. However, I won't fawn over this film like the critics have. This epic is more haunting (at its best) and near ridiculous, in most respects, than memorable and moving. It is wrapped nicely though with grand sets, hundreds if not thousands of extras, and everything needed for an adventure; war, treasure, an ancient city, and two bumbling comics with a talent for disruption on a national scale. While I don't consider this a masterpiece, I wanted to watch it because where else do you get to see Michael Caine and Sean Connery fumbling around with swords, costumes, and conquest. I think Huston saw the potential for the grandeur of Kipling's tale but for me, 40 years after its release, there's not much in it that leaves an impression. It isn't a film for modern audiences but a more patient one. It has humor but it also suffers from implausibility and at the end of the day, who cares what happens in this superstitious remote part of the world. Hate to say it, but indifference is what happened. Reflecting, I do see pride becomes the villain and reconciliation is only possible after the truth is set free. While a solid adaptation, it isn't up there with my favorite epics but actually closer to the bottom half of large scale extravaganza that doesn't really leave you with anything.
February 9, 2016
Great acting, moving and cool characters.
½ December 12, 2015
My dad suggested we watch this together. It was a very interesting movie. It didn't conform to the predictable story line, and left me feeling a bit morose, but the cultural exploration and the spirit of the adventurer were depicted well.
½ November 21, 2015
Classic story of adventure that still holds up today, with great acting.
November 7, 2015
Good movie, kinda funny. Oh! Michael Caine. This fantastic movie has a young Michael Caine. He's an awesome actor, but also hot. Very hot.
September 26, 2015
Looking at some of the bad reviews of this film, I would say that this is one film that rewards repeated viewings.
September 18, 2015
Witting dialogue and fine direction with some great battle scenes. It serves to be both a great comedy and adventure film.
½ September 2, 2015
Classic action, Kipling story, Connery and Caine. Superb
July 3, 2015
Two rogues at they're very best. Outstanding.
May 29, 2015
one of my top 22 films
February 18, 2015
Good. Not great, merely good.
½ January 20, 2015
La pelicula de aventuras por excelencia.
½ October 10, 2014
Though huge in scope and scenery was vast, it dragged too much and is dated. Charmimg and lucky con-men weren't charming or lucky enough.
May 4, 2014
Sunday afternoon. :-)
April 20, 2014
A cinematic masterpiece
April 16, 2014
Stick with it - it's great.
½ March 21, 2014
First watched this movie at the age of twelve and ran that VHS tape ragged. A wonderful and exciting adventure!
March 6, 2014
Two classic actors, and a classic director (Maltese Falcon, Sierra Madre) turn Kipling's 19th century legend into a strange colonial comedy. Dated, and too long.
March 5, 2014
The first half of this movie is more of a road trip film but the last half is where it gets really good. I love the premis and its great seeing Connery and Caine together. Really interesting commentary on power and hero worship.
½ February 9, 2014
A fascinating drama following the two Adventurers set in the exotic locations of Kafiristan is a very much watchable film. Saeed Jaffrey as a young Gurkha soldier looks quite charming.