The Man Who Would Be King Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best, GREATEST epic movie ever made!

The best, GREATEST epic movie ever made!

• Jan 28, 2019

If you have'nt seen this watch it now.

If you have'nt seen this watch it now.

• Jan 09, 2019

The acting is what elevates The Man Who Would Be King into something greater than it would be otherwise. Michael Caine and Sean Connery are charming guys, and their portrayal of these two con artists is endearing despite their conniving personalities. It gets you rooting for them despite the fact that they are constantly taking advantage of the people around them. However, because of their personalities and their track record, I clung onto a false assumption that at some point it would be revealed that the entire story was just deception for Kipling and they were tricking him again. It colored my view of the film a little, but didn’t change how effective it was at showing the adventure of these two men. Also, since I mentioned him, it’s worth pointing out that the amazing Christopher Plummer is also in this film in a minor role as Rudyard Kipling. Of course, he elevates this from being a minor part with his few scenes, and makes me wish he was in the film more. I don’t know if this movie would be as successful without the awesome cast, because they bring a lot to the story. At times I struggled with the motivations in The Man Who Would Be King. It seemed to be such a simple plan, but misguided choices plagued the entire thing. Sean Connery’s character in particular takes an abrupt turn that didn’t fit with the personality they established. If it had been a gradual shift for him then I would understand, but the opportunity to take a massive reward and leave came a bit too early so the decision to stay felt out of place. That doesn’t change how well this film presents the drama, because I was engaged in the story. It didn’t quite hit me on an emotional level, possibly because I was still riding on false assumptions, but I thought it was a good film. It did feel similar to some other films I’ve seen in the past. I assume those would all be copycats, though, since Kipling wrote the story in the late 1800s. The Man Who Would Be King is a solid adventure film, and one that I’d gladly watch again, but with some elements of the ending it was a bit less satisfying than I would like, so I don’t know if I’ll seek it out.

• Dec 01, 2018

A fantastic adventure film that tingles your inner Anglophile and sense of 19th century adventuring! Led by two of the best old school british actors in Sean Connery and Michael Caine and led by the steady direction of John Huston, this is an all time classic!

• Nov 18, 2018

Enjoyable romp with humour, action and adventure. Caine and Connery make a charismatic pair.

• Oct 02, 2018

Nice examination of the way of men in history, with elements of satire and action. Two great actors unfold before us delightful characters entangled in the familiar story of civilized men taking advantage of savages. John Houston is a bit nostalgic, at least that's how I felt, about the more adventurous and courage past, the days of the British empire, not without mocking it, but he does it in an intelligent way, showing the follies of all sides.

• Apr 02, 2018

Hands down without fail my favourite film of all time

Hands down without fail my favourite film of all time

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Mar 21, 2018

Two scrappy if amoral Brit Adventurers decide to carve out a bit of the third world for themselves (just as they've seen nations, particularly their own, do). They don't make 'em like this anymore, and hence the love this work generates, while it's stars, connery and caine, both sort of embody the last of the era they portray. The story, if slight, is played with heart. And Pith helmets.

• Jan 14, 2018

As one who is familiar with India its history and military traditions, this is a great portrayal of past life and times.!

• Jan 05, 2018

Really amazing to see just how alive and busy that part of India is. So much going on, really bustling city. I didn't even recognize Plummer when I first saw him. He's young in this movie. Already, I'm wondering what the hell happened to Caine's character for him to get all fucked up like that. Masonic symbols, interesting. I find parts of the Indian culture fascinating. Like how raw and chaotic they live in some places. How they can fit an extra hundred group of passengers on the roof of the train when that's so dangerous. Michael Caine's accent is so fucking heavy. God damn. Really charming to see Michael Caine and Sean Connery together acting like there jokesters. I do have to say, this movie has some jaw dropping locations in India and along the Middle East. Quite a treacherous journey those two went through, but they were prepared. When the preachers passed by right before they were about to fight, that was funny. Pretty crazy how lucky they've gotten with all the predicaments they got themselves into. Wow, he really let the whole being a god/kin thing get to his head. He's ignoring all these signs that are going on around him. Bad things are going to start to happen. It's so chaotic. All the women crying and moaning making weird animalistic noises. In the end they both resorted to committing two sins. One was obsessed with power and the other with greed. In the end, none of them got what they were seeking. That must be so hard to watch your friend dying before your eyes and you can't do anything but just watch. Pretty dark towards the end. Being crucified and all and walking around the desert and mountains with your best friends head in a bag. Christopher Plummer's expression at the end says it all. This turned out to be a pretty funny movie. There's a lot of moments in this movie that can be used for sampling in songs, kind of like what Bonobo did. Really great movie with wonderful landscapes and beautiful views of a country I've never heard of. I'd watch again.