Man with the Screaming Brain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man with the Screaming Brain Reviews

December 1, 2010
Everyone knows how much I love Bruce Campbell, but Screaming Brain is a pretty weak Man With Two Brains. There are some quite funny moments, but they're few and far between.
½ October 18, 2010
Hugely over the top and surreal in ways I can't begin to describe in a short review....in short it features some fine Bruce Campbell show piece of beating himself up, some brilliant slapstick, an awesome plastic robot, cheesy dialogue aplenty and a woman who answers any form of rejection with a stabbing.
July 23, 2010
This should have been a lot better than it was.
½ July 22, 2010
Well the story of this movie is the exact title of it. It happens sometimes. Bruce Campbell is in it...so see it? Ehh...
July 20, 2010
It's Bruce Campbell being classic, that right there deserves just the three star rating, as for everything else, it's all "meh". The story seems bland for a B-Movie, I can't explain it, maybe its the lack of any production value that is done in Bulgaria. There are some great cheesy fight scenes though, that's all I can really say, the seen between the Gypsy & Campbell's (movie) wife was priceless.
July 19, 2010
bruce campbell fans may get something out of this crap, but i my self like the guy, and think his evil dead films are great fun, and hes great in them, but here hes a shadow of his former self, he sometimes gets the campbell spark, but few and far between the budget seems to have been left behind in the u.s before departing for bulgeria, and the story here is really bad, bad situations bad acting and stupid unfunny moments, a big miss for campbell
½ July 9, 2010
weird movie that all can said
½ June 24, 2010
Bruce Campbell gets to do, what the man does.
May 16, 2010
Gleefully stupid, and not much else I can say about it.

If it weren't for Bruce Campbell, this movie would have blown.
½ May 6, 2010
Love Bruce Campbell.
½ May 6, 2010
the movie that ruined bruce campbell for me.
April 29, 2010
Better than most Sci-Fi Original productions. Cheesy fun.
½ April 26, 2010
More original than Scary Movie 4.
Tougher than My Night With Maud.
Sexier than Lawrence of Arabia.
Funnier than 120 Days In Sodom.
Better acting than Big Daddy.
What's not to like?
½ March 30, 2010
Another fine, demented Bruce Campbell flick. It's no Bubba Hotep, but plenty of cheesy b-flick schlock to satisfy. Fun stuff.
½ February 23, 2010
Bruce Campbell's baby is great at showing off... Bruce Campbell! As writer/director/star/producer, and the fact that he tried for 15 years to get this made, this is his vision entirely. A last minute rewrite, due to budget restrictions, placed the movie in Bulgaria, instead of LA. This actually helps the story, in my opinion. By setting it in an eastern European nation, it adds a flavor of the original "Frankenstein" story and makes Dr. Ivan Ivanov, a wonderfully off-kilter Stacy Keach, a much more believable figure.

Keach, and his dim-witted assistant, Pavel, played with great glee and uncapped energy by Ted Rami (who else?!), are deliriously off beat. The characters and the performances are so far out of the ball park, it is insane.

As for the chin himself, he is excellent. He gets the excesses and bastard attitude of pharmaceutical magnate William Cole rather well, with his typical blunt irony, shining through in thoroughly deadpan fashion. Once his brain, and the brain of former KGB, current cabbie Yegor get jammed together, he really owns the movie. Watching Bruce beat himself up, not be able to control his hand, or just hysterically running around will always amuse me, and here, that's what he does.

The movie tries so hard to attain B-movie status, with it's madcap insanity, and then spoof the movies it loves. To do so, this plays out, just like a 1950s sci-fi flick, thus, many of the jokes are in the unfolding, watching as the typical 50s tropes are brought to a head, and then magnified. From the constant brain swappings, to the massive forehead scar, to the whys behind Ivanov's work in secret, it's all there, it's all dead on, and it's all funny.

As a director, Campbell allows these things to play out nicely, knowing when to end a joke, and how far to take the shady dealings. He gets the tone right, using lots of exaggerated colors, and zany sound effects, as if vaudeville ran smack dab into a cheesy sci-fi, flick. While not as sure-handed as his sophomore effort, this debut is definitely strong and showcases his humor and sensibilities impeccably.
February 17, 2010
Another Bruce Campbell classic!
½ February 8, 2010
Is there much charm is making a B-movie look as cheap as possible? Kind of, but not really. This was kind of funny, thanks to Ted Raimi... but this is just a bunch of buddies going to the cheapest place in Europe, with a B-movie script and making a weekend (I'd have to guess) out of it. Okay, it probably took a few days to shoot this movie, but really... there isn't anything to it. If you can tolerate the frugalness of the show, you'll be alright.
January 31, 2010
Bruce has done some weird crap before, but this was out there. Worst than Bubba Hotep
December 28, 2009
This is actually pretty fun to watch, it was the 4th dvd in a Campbell boxset i own and i was dreading watching it but its quite "good". Daft beyond belief but still entertaining.
½ December 27, 2009
This was a very entertaining movie. When I saw the title of the movie I couldn't help but check it out, seeing as it also starred Bruce Campbell. And what we're in is a nice fun ride between slapstick comedy yet it is not too stupid or lame, it is actually rather funny and it's good to see that this movie takes itself half seriously. Not only are Campbell and Raimi very good actors, but they play they are very well fit for their roles, and keep the movie alive. I was glad to see this movie wasn't a bad one-liner movie, the dialog and directing were really good for a B movie, and this is something I'd definitely recommend watching! Another B movie par excellence!