Manda Bala (Send a Bullet) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Manda Bala (Send a Bullet) Reviews

½ November 3, 2012
Could've been 4 stars were it not for the distracting use of the interpreters. Just use subtitles, please! Also, reviewer J.R. Jones said it best:
"To address the economic inequality of teeming Sao Paulo, Brazil, documentary maker Jason Kohn has joined several loosely related topics into a sort of rhetorical doughnut, leaving a hole in the center where his thesis should be."

Like, tell me more about the frogs. What?!
April 30, 2012
Can't wait to get this DVD in the mail.
January 28, 2012
When the poor have no option they kidnap the rich. Investigating these kinds of kidnappings which are rampant in San Paolo, Brasil, Manda Bala traces these crimes to their root -- the cause of such contrasting poverty, corruption. Showing the effects of such traumatizing crime, interviewing plastic surgeons (need to reconstruct ears that are use to coerce families to pay ransoms), to politicians, to kidnapping squads, to even a kidnapper himself, Manda Bala is an in-depth, well made portrait of a problem in one of the biggest cities in the world today. Despite the film opening very confusingly (starting at a frog farm, then talking about political corruption, and then talking about kidnapping), things eventually connect together in the end, showing details of how crimes are not isolated, but connect to greater issues. This is a film you should see.
November 13, 2011
The best film i saw at The Sundance Film Festival. I loved it, a really great documentary.
½ July 19, 2011
Great documentary and good reason not to go to Brazil.
½ April 8, 2011
This was just as great as I had heard it was. It's a perfect example of what a documentary should do--open your eyes to an unknown subject or world. Loved the music; it was perfectly structured and unfolded beautifully. The interview with the kidnapper was incredible. Highly, highly recommended.
March 26, 2011
Fascinating documentary about crime and corruption!
½ March 6, 2011
interssant, mais ca part un peu trop dans tous les sens.
March 1, 2011
Acorda Brasil!!! Quero ver um presidente da republica arrumar esse pais. Quero ver se existira um dia... um presidente da republica com muita dignidade e "aquilo roxo" para colocar prisao perpetua para politico e policial corruptos, acabar com a mordomia que os "homens de Brasilia" tem.
Wake up Brazil! I want to see a president of the republic fix this country. Want to see a day ... when a president with great dignity and "that purple" to put life in prison for politicians and corrupt police, ending the stewardship that the "men of Brasilia" have.
½ January 13, 2011
GTA is a joke, brazil is the real deal.... dang.
October 17, 2010
Further proof that the human race is evil.
September 29, 2010
awesome documentary about Sao Paulo, Brazil... kidnappings, corruption, frog farms, bulletproof cars, helicopter taxis... you know.. a REAL rat race!
½ August 16, 2010
Scratching Brazil off my vacation list. Crime is bananas there.
½ July 10, 2010
Every government in the world are corrupted. This isnt a secert, but now we know what can we do? Like the sayin in the movie the government rob with a pen and a gangsta rob with a gun.
June 9, 2010
I rented this because I liked the picture on the cover...didn't know mr. frog was going to be processed all the way into the deep fryer! This movie probably deserves more than the 1 star I'm giving it but it just wasn't for me.
May 17, 2010
extremely thought provoking - a look inside at the practice of kidnapping in brazil. the government of brazil banned this documentary. very worth watching. lots or corruption in their political system and struggles from the poor who see this as a way of making a living.
½ May 1, 2010
Amazing thought provoking documentary on the endless cycle of political corruption, extreme poverty, and kidnapping in Brazil.
½ April 1, 2010
One of the greatest documentaries I've seen.
½ March 26, 2010
Brazil: the land of impunity. This great documentary shows how corruption and organized crime can be a part of everyone living in the big cities of Brazil. I liked how the director made the conexion of Brazilians and frogs in the way how they live. Great stories, like the frog farm where is also a money laundry, the lady who was a victim of a kidnapp, the criminals, the corrupt politician Jader Barbalho, and others. A documentary which only shows the bad side of Brazil. I don't wonder why the government banned this documentary there.