Mandrake Reviews

Great performance by Saw star Betsy Russell

Great performance by Saw star Betsy Russell

• Panta O Super Reviewer
    Oct 30, 2013

I got this movie thinking that is about one of my favourite comic characters - Mandrake the Magician... but it wasn't. It was about a plant Mandrake! Well, everything will be OK if writers knew one fact about setting this story in a fictitious Latin American country: Mandrake is native to Eurasia and did not grow in the Americas until transplanted well after the era of the Conquistadors! And the plot of the story is involving a conquistador and this plant! We have a soldier of fortune Sgt. McCall leading an expedition sponsored by the powerful Harry Vargas and formed by the anthropologist Dr. Felicia and archaeologist Lin, the local Santiago Zavala and a baggage carrier through the jungle. In the base, Carla Manning gives support to McCall's team and is the liaison with Harry, who is obsessed with the dagger. They find the secret place of the dagger but soon they discover that nature and the Yamballi tribe are not happy with that! [img]http://www.coverdude.com/covers/mandrake-2010-ws-r2-front-cover-79947.jpg[/img] This movie should be rated as a B grade but the acting by Max Martini, Betsy Russell, Benito Martinez, Jon Mack and Nick Gomez wasn't as bad as I expected. The story by David Ray could be classified as ridiculous but everything else was just below average. Very predictable with no suspense - too simple to enjoy watching it. I stayed the full 89 minutes, expecting that the director Tripp Reed would surprise me, but nothing happened. Avoid, if possible!