The Mangler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mangler Reviews

½ April 7, 2017
It's literally a movie about evil factory equipment that kills. That's all you need to know for both what it's about and it's quality as a film.
June 12, 2016
I Loved Robert Englund The Evil Old Man And His Demonic Machine Feeds On Human Blood And Flesh
May 1, 2016
A microcosm of everything that could possibly be wrong with a Stephen King movie.
½ October 31, 2015
This is an interesting film. Kind of horror but more mystery. Doesn't seem to take itself too seriously so it makes it fun to watch.
½ October 31, 2014
Batsh*t crazy would be a rather kind description of Tobe Hooper's The Mangler. Inspired by a Stephen King short story, a hard-nosed cop investigates a series of industrial "accidents" at a laundry company and comes to believe that the laundry press is possessed and is out for blood. Robert Englund and Ted Levine lead the cast, and are both incredibly awful; especially Levine, who angry acts through every scene. But the acting is only the beginning of the film's problems, as the script is atrocious and the special effects are terrible. On the plus side, so much is wrong with The Mangler that it turns out to be kind of laughably bad.
September 24, 2014
Most of the reviews seem to say something along the lines of "How did horro legend Tobe Hooper make this?" Well those people seem to be forgeting that Hooper made one good movie (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and then proceeded to flood the horror genre with genric goofy schlock. The premise (a killer landuray press) is not something that you can turn from a short story to a feature length film and expect it to be taken seriusly. It gets one star because its goofy as hell and Robert Englund really hams it up, but really, its terrible. Skip it
May 2, 2014
Terrible and cheesy I first watched this bout 10yrs ago, killed a couple of hours though I'll watch anythin...so shit that I enjoyed it, suprised at Tobe Hooper was at the helm for this one....but as a huge Stephen King and Hooper fan I had to give it a go.
March 12, 2014
Robert Englund puts his name to another low-budget horror that this time includes possessed machinery. It can be fun if you're in the mood but it's not a cult film and is mediocre at best.
January 16, 2014
A small budget horror film with an interesting , if not silly concept. If you are a fan of Hooper give it a go otherwise pass your way.
November 7, 2013
Dreadful film with almost no redeeming features. Like so many other ill-conceived King adaptations, this suffers from a very poor rework of the source material.. Not even Robert Englund can save this Mangled turkey.
October 28, 2013
you have to admit that this is rather silly even by horror movie standards and by Stephen King standards
at least it knows it's bizarre nature considering it's directed by Tobe Hooper
at first it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the beginning but if you stick to the rest of the film then it's explained
the explanation is a tad hokey for what it's worth
good thing the kills are gory and it's entertaining from start-to-finish
for the sake of demon possession can it get any sillier than this?
October 28, 2013
The early CGI in this is beyond horrible. Everything else is just alright. For a mid 90's horror movie based on a Stephen King story,starring Robert Englund and directed by Tobe Hopper....It should have been alot better than alright. Sadly this is pretty much something to have in your collection but not a must have.
½ October 23, 2013
Definitely one of the silliest set-ups for a horror movie featuring a dream team of horror icons including Buffalo Bill, Freddy Kruger, and the director of the original Texas Chainsaw about a demonic laundry press machine pocessed by a virgin eating carnivorous demon. The plot was based on a short story by Stephen King that translates just as silly when I read it. That being said I believe the Manger is one of those cases of a movie so miss paced and ridiculous that it actually entertains on some level unintentionally. The fact that this thing spawned not one, but two sequels is even more flabbergasting considering the original bombed so badly. Can't help but feel that Robert England's character and his foreman was a play on Mr. Burns and Smithers.
September 11, 2013
The Mangler Takes Three Horror Icons, And Produces The Fairly Average Horror Flick. Directed By Tobe Hooper, Based On A Short Story By Stephen King & Starring Robert Englund, The Mangler Shows Some Promise From The Outset And Disappointingly Goes Nowhere. Boring In Some Places & Entertaining In Others. I Would Leave This Film To A Completest, (I Personally Think I'm Turning Into One Regarding Adaptations Of King's Work)
August 15, 2013
A series of gruesome accidents leads a police officer to believe that something demonic is taking place at a laundry factory.

Here we have a movie with a lot of genre greats attached to it that should be an absolute masterpiece, but unfortunately isn't. The plot is closely adapted from a short story by Stephen King, and though it has very good ideas at the beginning, it just starts to get more outlandish as it progresses, and the climatic battle is very silly indeed. The directing by Tobe Hooper is solid enough, and in places has an almost otherworldly feel about it, as even though it is set in modern day, the sequences within the laundry factory have a look and feel that they are taking place in the past. The acting is mixed bag and has everything from completely wooden to quite believable, and special mention must go to the great Robert Englund who is totally over the top and steals every scene he is in. The gore is not particularly widespread, but the few deaths that happen are incredibly well handled and the corpses look suitably mangled. All in all, this isn't a bad film and it does have some quite good parts, but with the likes of King, Hooper and Englund attached to it, one feels that it should have been a lot better.
August 9, 2013
Holy smokes, what the hell happened here? On paper, I'm sure this could have sounded like a fine idea: a collaboration between three horror genre heavyweights (based on a story by Stephen King, directed by Tobe Hooper, starring Robert Englund), but good grief does this thing stink. Hooper's direction is uninspired, Englund hams it up (and not in a good or fun way, either), and the screenplay bears little resemblance to the King short story that inspired it (which, admittedly, isn't a terrific piece of source material, either). Overall, the movie just feels off from frame one, and it's also kind of needlessly mean-spirited and nasty, even for a horror flick. Blech.
½ April 5, 2013
Movie about an evil industrial laundry folding machine. Obviously dumb but fun early 90's horror.
½ March 19, 2013
A laundry press machine kills...and that's really it. Some decent well crafted cinematography Hooperness is marred by a few examples of horrible acting on a few really bad actors but Robert Englund is gold in this. The Mangler suffers from stupidity with it's premise but that was pretty much evident from the get go. Why have an actor in makeup playing an old photographer? I'd cut about 15 to 20 minutes from this and it would be more of a guilty pleasure, which it is for me to a large degree. Ted Levine is a great puzzling actor with his distinctive voice. I don't have the line exactly accurate but one thing that Levine says which makes this more of a charmer than a piece of crap. "Yeah I'll just go over and knock on here door. Hello, there is a demonic spirit possessing a laundry press are you a virgin?" or something like that.
January 26, 2013
I got 10 minutes into it and couldn't take it seriously.
October 14, 2012
'You think you've seen everything then life bites you in the ass'

That line pretty much sums up this film, haha. Terrible, but hilariously awesome.