Mansome - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mansome Reviews

½ August 31, 2015
Morgan Spurlock, el director del divertido documental "Super Size Me", nos entrega una divertida aproximación a lo que significa ser hombre en el nuevo milenio. "Mansome" habla sobre bigotes, pelos y acicalamiento sin mucha profundidad, pero con mucho humor y se vale del carisma de actores como Paul Rudd, Jason Bateman, Will Arnett y Zack Galifianakis para vehiculizar sus temas.
½ April 18, 2015
Although the male grooming topic is potentially intriguing (including mustache obsessions, metrosexuals, and competitive beard growing), there is no real focus through the divergent subtopics. Told with humor and a bit of satirized machismo, the documentary is lighthearted and does not offer any significant insight into deeper issues such as male insecurities with body image or cultural pressures on the modern American man. It's pure fluff: light, pleasant and unmemorable. As a "documentary", it's flimsy and undeserving.
November 6, 2014
meh, pretty blasee, not Spurlock's best effort
½ August 11, 2014
Pretty pointless with no lasting insight, but at the same time watchable enough whilst its on
½ April 13, 2014
Very truthful and sometimes funny, but frustrating in that it really only asks questions and doesn't give answers.
April 12, 2014
A light-hearted documentary from Morgan Spurlock about the modern (essentially straight) man's grooming habits. It is split up into chapters (moustache, beard, body, head etc) which are punctuated by skits between Jason Bateman and Ben Silverman (also producers of the film).
It kind of skims over the potentially interesting subject of the analysis of metrosexuality. The skits are uber unfunny and only some of the talking heads are interesting.
Don't waste your time.
½ March 21, 2014
Entertaining and a pretty decent documentary.
½ March 21, 2014
With little insight into the perplexingly successful Hollywood career of Jason Bateman, "Mansome" is a superficial documentary about how shallow society has become while giving little thought to the cost, except in pricing haircuts. But according to Morgan Spurlock, that's a very good thing, as how else are you supposed to find a mate if you are not looking your very best, according to men's magazines.(Note: I read the New Yorker.) But if all you are going by is looks, then what kind of person will you end up with? Maybe somebody who will shave your back but not somebody who will have it.

This is also in a country where we are constantly informed that we are either too skinny or too fat. That's not to mention its long vicious history of racism that continues to inform all sorts of beauty standards even today. And then the movie celebrates the Sikh subject's turning his back on his tradition without worrying about any kind of downside.
½ March 8, 2014
it was not about men
February 13, 2014
Never answers any movie's most essential question: Why should we care?
February 6, 2014
This sometimes weird but always funny documentary debates about what makes a man, a man. The evolution of masculinity, what's hot, what's gross, what makes a difference and what not. In the end, it seems that us men are more vain than women. I would say that it's more about insecurities than vanity. Nevertheless, in the end, it shouldn't about what others expect from us, is what makes us happy and confident about ourselves. Easier said than done.
½ November 14, 2013
Passably forgettable documentary that ultimately never surprises or says anything.
September 25, 2013
Mansome is a strange mix of pointless interviews and a slightly annoying sub dialogue of Jason Bateman and Will Arnett as they get a spa treatment. The three stars are for the section that follows the Beardman and his unique ginger beard in his quest to dominate all beard competitions.
September 16, 2013
An interesting look at some of the obsessions men have about their identity and looks from hair, to mustaches to grooming in general. It doesn't focus on one solid idea, but shows how diverse men are with their attempts at looking the way they do, and how diverse women are in what they want. In then end, It just solidifies that there is something for everyone.
½ August 29, 2013
A very interesting doco on how men look at themselves, how the world look at them and how everyone has their own idea of what is manly. Includes actors, musicians, wrestlers, etc.
August 16, 2013
This is a very vacuous documentary looking at men's grooming habits, but parts of it are fairly amusing. The Jason Bateman and Will Arnett bits are funny, and they have some other funny guests such as Paul Rudd, Judd Apatow and Zach Galifiniakis. If you like any of the talent involved, then check it out, otherwise skip it!
½ July 24, 2013
Although this documentary is not as intriguing as it should be, I still found myself enjoying Mansome. Listening to comedians talk about what defines a man today did leave me laughing, and I was interested during it's run time. If you really want a deep documentary, then maybe is not for you (the title is about as deep as it gets). However for a casual watcher, you'll find yourself entertained.
July 23, 2013
A documentary about the men and their beards and moustaches and other things are now been targeted by companies like women have already been. A bit of a messy as a whole with Arnett and Bateman taking you right off from the more interesting bits with their really not funny insights (from the bath f.e.). Not one of Spurlocks finests.
May 14, 2013
Morgan Spurlock, Will Arnett, and Jason Bateman explore men's grooming and its relationship to masculinity.
What Mansome could be is an examination of masculinity in modern day pop culture, post-feminist movement. In fact, it could be the documentary version of all the strengths of Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. But instead its reliance on extreme reactions to male hair and its profile of a modern-day fop do little to deliver any salient cultural criticism. What emerges are the outliers of our society -- a man with a massive beard and a man who spends more time preening than most birds -- and I finished the film learning nothing new about the macrocosm and learning only dismissible factoids about the microcosm.
Overall, Mansome, considering its wealth of talent, doesn't live up to its potential.
½ April 27, 2013
It was amusing, but not as hilarious as I thought the trailer made it out to be.