Manufactured Landscapes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Manufactured Landscapes Reviews

½ February 7, 2012
completely overrated
January 16, 2012
A worthy effort and the creation of artificial ugly landscapes is something worth viewing if not quite enjoyable. Baichwal however has a history of taking an interesting topic and adding a layer of dullness in ultimate presentation.
October 16, 2011
Beautiful cinematography, & doesn't put a foot wrong - the failings were more of omission. Ultimately very well worth watching, but slightly disappointing - probably partly because I was already familiar with many of the images & didn't learn much more, perhaps because it was trying to be so neutral about the issues documented. Also, the glimpses of Burtynsky's method of working left me wanting to see more - both of his thought processes & the logistics.
August 24, 2011
Decent photography and occasionally cool Koyanisqaatsi-like visuals; the opening shot has got to be one of the most jaw dropping long takes I've ever witnessed (Welles be damned).
May 14, 2011
Another film that should be shown in all high schools to get young people thinking about how badly we need a lifestyle change as a society. The terrifying images shown here are not just the product of our western society's effects on the world, but the future of our own society if we don't change the way we live.
April 8, 2011
This movie looks phenomenal; case closed. It just looks great! Case closed. That's it's best moment.

It makes you feel bad about consumerism, but not dirty. You see that the system works but need to change. It isn't a preachy movie.

It had my Mom's old iron!
March 19, 2011
Curious film about Man Made structures and the effect they have on landscapes, communities, and enviroment we live in.

Something you expect be shown to kids in science class its relatively interesting if not especially entertaining
½ January 18, 2011
great doc amazing pics
November 10, 2010
Thought-provoking, beautiful and terrifying all at once. This shows how our consumerism is significantly changing our world in meaningful ways - where we live, how we live, and ramifications of our choices.
October 10, 2010
Not quite Baraka, but close.
August 16, 2010
Wow, definitely didn't appreciate the 5 minutes or so of silence at the beginning of the film.

Generally, I think it'd have been far more helpful for the narrator to have taken a stand (whether for or against).

Lots of guideless silence. Even without pushing an agenda it would've benefited from presenting some additional facts.
Seemed to be more of a photo essay than a documentary.

The human assembly line at about 30 min blew me away (in a bad way). I could hardly believe people STILL had to do such mind-numbing work. The guy that's melding steel with no protective goggles! - equally appalling conditions.
August 14, 2010
Interesting look at the army of workers which make and un-make products, mostly in China. My only complaint would be that it's more about the photographer's body of work than the work itself. Still compelling.
July 22, 2010
Taattu pahan mielen dokumentti.
July 14, 2010
To my mind, the best part of this movie is seeing China change as its economy and its influence expand. Truly, that country is entering in a new phase in its development and this thoroughly affects the environnement and the citizenry, both for good and/or ill.
June 27, 2010
Gorgeous, impressive, though ultimately distant.
May 18, 2010
"Manufactured Landscapes" is a moderately interesting documentary about Edward Burtynsky who specializes in taking photographs of industry and manufacturing in an attempt to warn against the environmental depletion of the planet. The film itself is mainly focused on China which is in the process of transforming itself from an agrarian society to an industrial power. There are consequences to this course of action, especially in the displacement of the population and increased pollution.

As urgent as "Manufactured Landscapes" might try to be, there is little here that we have not seen before.(The exception being the shipwreck beach in Bangladesh which itself could have been the setting for an entire documentary.) Yes, that's a truly awesome trackintg shot that opens the movie but it does little to capture the scale of a factory(and I've been in buildings that large, anyway) and actually becomes a game of seeing which workers notice the camera. Likewise, there have been other films that have covered the Three Gorges Dam in greater detail.
May 11, 2010
Must see for Burtynsky fans. Very informative regarding what's going on in China.
April 13, 2010
The photography is poignant. The message is stark and humbling. This is a tremendous documentary - I highly recommend it and double dog dare you not to feel a little overwhelmed by the reality of what you see.
½ April 5, 2010
This was like a slow-mo trance version of Koyaanisqatsi. Incredible still photography and cinematography. I think I will always remember the opening tracking shot from the factory in China. Important film!