Manufactured Landscapes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Manufactured Landscapes Reviews

February 19, 2010
Awe-inspiring documentary on the industrial machine. It's incredible what human labour goes into construction work and metal recycling.
This documentary portrays China's industry in a fairly objective manner. Very interesting.
February 7, 2010
this guy has a great eye. I love the way he put the video and photography together. imcidentally, this is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.
½ January 28, 2010
This documentary is a riveting study of how our environment is being transformed (in a negative way) by our industrial society. In China, the largest building I've ever seen in my life and all the clogs in the wheel manufacturing items that are going to end up in the recycling piles that appear later in the movie. I was disturbed by the scenes of young boys wading through pools of oil in Bangladesh. Edward Burtynsky takes these scenes and makes them artistic in his own way, but they are still disturbing.
½ January 20, 2010
Film approaches more of a photo-essay, rather than a documentary. Nicely shot, though.
½ January 8, 2010
Saw this movie a while ago already (bought the DVD) but it left a lasting impression on me, as I'm sure it will on you. The photography is haunting and the images are lasting. If you ever wondered about where all those end-of-life products end up, this movie will 'enlighten' you. Warning, it's not a 'Lassie' movie... it's more of a real life Wall-e
January 3, 2010
EVIL ASSEMBLY LINES DOCUMENTARY DOUBLE-FEATURE!!!

Interesting documentary that portrays the increasing industrialization of China through the photography of Edward Burtynsky, who finds beauty and terror in the massive machinery and technology. It will make you think twice about buying and discarding that cheap merchandise from the big box stores!
January 3, 2010
Bouleversant de voir ce vers quoi notre monde se dirige.
½ December 22, 2009
Mesmerizing photos and panoramas of what mankind has done to shape his world. Well done! And Canadian, too!
November 22, 2009
This was a very interesting documentary about photographer Edward Burtynsky, who photographs the hidden products of the industrial revolution and how it's changing the earth and the people in it. His statement in the movie that "it's not a simple matter of right and wrong but it requires a whole new way of thinking" was very apropos.
neverteaseaweasel
November 16, 2009
One of the better documentaries I have seen. It manages to be both socially relevant and provogative, and also very artistic. That seems like quite an accomblishment to me. It did drag on a bit though.
October 14, 2009
A good insight at how heavy industrialisation and sweat shops including the Three Gorges Dam has changed China's landscape.
½ October 14, 2009
A picture can says more than a thousand words. This movie was packed with stunning pictures that showed industrialism at massive scale and how it changed the landscape.
September 14, 2009
I'm not at all sure that I was meant to find these landscapes so beautiful and impressive. Sure, it is terribly sad what we have done to the planet - but wow! Humanity seems so much more significant after watching this.
½ September 7, 2009
The National Film Board of Canada had something to do with this - unbelievable. This should not be a movie. While it may be the case that this guy can take a photograph, he should not be speaking in public; you run the risk of becoming stupider for having heard him.
August 28, 2009
The unbroken tracking shot that opens "Manufactured Landscapes" demonstrates audacious technical prowess and serves as a metaphor for the overwhelming power of industrial production. Unfortunately, similarly mesmerizing moments only occur sporadically throughout the film. The majority of the runtime is devoted to a scattered structure that attempts to combine too many points of view.
July 14, 2009
I am absolutely fascinated by this movie. Edward Burtynsky's images are haunting and unforgettable; and Jennifer Baichawal's investigation into the stories behind these photos is incredible and moving. I highly recommend this movie... it made me see consumerism and its environmental impact with a keener, more sensitive eye and mind...
July 12, 2009
An amazingly artful look at a problem most of us don't even know exists. E-waste is a huge and emerging problem in the developing world, from China and India, to Ghana, it's something we can't afford to be ignorant about.
July 9, 2009
Excellent doc about the artist Edward Burtynsky. The film follows him as he takes stunning photographs of the effects our industrialized march toward progress is having on our environment. Simultaneously beautiful and eye opening. He does a great job of seducing the viewer into wanting to look at the things most of us would most like to avoid.
½ May 31, 2009
Haunting imagery, an interesting meditation on the impact of industry on China and the world at large.