Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky and the Media - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky and the Media Reviews

October 23, 2015
An astonishingly well-crafted survey of Chomsky's political thought and career that is truly epic in scale. Although it is primarily focused on his work in media theory, it dedicates a large portion of time to two of his most exciting and scandalous forays: His alleged support for the Khmer Rouge and his alleged Holocaust denial. This film, much like "Is The Man Who Is Tall Happy?" serves not only as an introduction to Chomsky's body of work but to critical thinking in general. It is a rare piece of work that both enlightens and inspires, yet this documentary does both with relative ease. It is a large time-investment (running at almost 3 hours), but every minute is undoubtedly well spent.
July 22, 2014
This 3-hour long documentary (split into 2 parts) is not entertainment, nor does it try to be. But the information is fascinating & the analysis is powerfully insightful. It's also an excellent introduction to Noam Chomsky for those who haven't come across any of his work.

Manufacturing Consent is not for those who care more about style than substance, like Chomsky himself, there is no intellectual snobbery or pseudo-intellectual flourishing. Anyone can understand the points within, although some are so illuminating they're worth revisiting.

This documentary was extremely influential for me, it completely altered my perception of the world & triggered an interest in politics, which I hitherto thought myself totally apathetic towards (I am still apathetic towards the mainstream conception of politics, but justifiably so).

I would say Manufacturing Consent is the single most important thing I've ever experienced & recommend it to anyone with a conscience.
January 16, 2012
Chomsky's landmark exposition of the media and how they choose to depict stories is still relevant today. However, he misses the mark on a key element: how the media can be driven to cover stories based on profit rather than some grand conspiracy. A visual masterpiece nonetheless.
½ January 13, 2012
Great documentary. Not overly intellectualised. Very accessible to the viewpoints put forth by this great thinker & honest man. Lots of good archival footage. A movie of hope.
December 18, 2011
A masterful eyeopener about corporate media bias with big media's playing up of Cambodia's Khmer Rouge horror and simultaneous subtle coverup of the bloody US supported Indonesian occupation of East Timor being an effective and chilling example of it in action.
½ November 19, 2011
½ July 23, 2011
I think the substance of this documentary was excellent - very important views are presented about how people and information are controlled. Was it exciting? No. Was it informative and interesting? Yes.
May 25, 2011
Required viewing for the human race.
March 25, 2011
This documentary is about use of propaganda in a democratic society.
January 13, 2011
Utterly astounding in its simplicity and bevity yet it is completely true. Critical thinking can save us from propoganda and other forms of misinformation in any context.
January 10, 2011
Deciphering the lies and deceit of the rich, is not an easy task. it takes intellectuals like Chomsky to put it plain words. Repeat viewing is recommend.
½ January 8, 2011
It's weird that the running time wears on you but that still wasn't enough time to throughly explain all of the ideas that are introduced. It's a little sporadic because of this, but intriguing none the less.
December 20, 2010
A great introduction to not only Chomsky but critical thinking. It's not as important to agree with Chomsky as to start thinking for yourself. A film everyone should see.
½ November 28, 2010
Extremely in depth look at Noam Chomsky, what brilliant mind, and gentle soul.
½ October 24, 2010
You know you're watching a well-produced documentary when it is essentially a 3 hour film of a person sharing their views on the media - and you're actually intrigued. The minus points for this film are not about my disagreements with Chomsky, some of which are definitely there, but about the running time which begins to wear on you in the latter stretch of the film. Overall, an electrifying documentary.
½ September 15, 2010
A slowly forming collage of Chomsky & his message. Compelling, revealing, & more.
½ July 5, 2010
Fascinating documentary, a little long but worth it in the long run.
½ May 8, 2010
A fast-paced and overwhelming display of Chomsky's intellectualism, focused on media deception.
March 26, 2010
This is just the point of the iceberg. Consent will lead to a better new world domination by the ones that owe each and every single puppet-president in the world.
March 8, 2010
Brilliant, boundless minds are facsinating to listen to. I wonder if he's right?