Map of the Human Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Map of the Human Heart Reviews

July 28, 2016
What a wonderful find. The best scenes are with the kid versions of the protagonist and his love interest. The ending is something of a left-field choice, but I understand why the director went in that direction. Overall, a really satisfying and unconventional romantic drama.
July 4, 2015
One of the best romantic films of the year.
March 2, 2015
half-breed inuit boy meets halfling injun girl in Canada's Royal Mount. A romance across bleeding noses, black eyes and icy plains over decades. It's a pity that they don't manage to surmount their comfort zones and dreams, despite their undeniable balloony love.
½ March 2, 2015
Strangely, i wasn't affected by the story nor performance of the lead actors nor the music of the movie! I'm not quite sure about this tragic tale of half-breeds being always below the white man.
½ January 11, 2015
Life is a map of death
½ June 11, 2014
Don't watch if you're a John Cusack fan because he's barely in the flick. But it has the best portrayal of the bombing of Dresden in World War II I've ever seen. Other than that it is a tragic love story of sorts. The movie stars Jason Scott Lee who was also working Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story at the same time.
December 13, 2013
"Map of the Human Heart" es un estupendo romance situado durante la segunda guerra mundial y contado desde el punto de vista de un eskimal. La cinta inicia con el encuentro con un explorador inglés durante su infancia, quién lo llevará a conocer al amor de su vida en un hospital (ella y él son pacientes). El reparto da muy buenas actuaciones y su director Vincent Ward crea estupendas composiciones (sin duda merece de una edición especial en bluray). Esta es una joya, no muy conocida, de los noventas.
½ October 2, 2013
A film of incantatory intensity and moment by a prodigiously gifted young filmmaker.
May 19, 2013
Fantastic and touching film
May 10, 2012
The film follows the life of an Eskimo boy into the world of the "White Man". Meeting his white father figure and his sou mate there his life is changed. The story is so incredible, yet it never goes over the melodramatic side. If I took any thing from this movie is that every life is an adventure no matter how boring we find it. The best movie I ever experienced.
April 24, 2012
Nice. Moving. Touching...even though the style of this movie definitely shows its age. Much has happened in the last 20 yrs to improve productions. To see this movie made again, with todays expertise, would be really fantastic. FYI: John Cusack is in this for less than 5 min...
October 3, 2011
It touches me so much. Just love it.
August 22, 2011
woulda been perfect if adult Albertine was a believable halfie like her young counterpart.. it's intolerable to watch her as she's clearly 100% french (maybe canadian)!!! this ruins an otherwise great film.
Blaster1618
½ September 11, 2010
The movie starts off very well with interesting relationships between Inuit, European and other Meso-American peoples and then switches gears into a sweeping romance. Jason Scott Lee really steps up to and fills his role as an Inuit who is drawn into a world he is unfamiliar with. By the time the film gets to WWII it might as well be Pearl Harbor w/ burning models instead of god CGI. As a note Cusack has a 5 Minute role sitting at a table looking at a map listening to Lee retell his story
August 27, 2010
Romantic and melodramatic. Although I am sure I could find plenty of things wrong with it if I tried to analyze everything it moved me a great deal and for that alone I give it five stars.
½ June 8, 2010
Very charming and romantic, although the latter half of the movie felt like it had been a three-hour film cut down to just under two. The beginning flowed with ease, but the later story felt choppy and a little contrived. Jason Scott Lee (and his younger counterpart, as well) was absolutely luminous and a wonderful choice for the romantic lead.
½ May 25, 2010
It was a good movie til the end. The ending really hurt it for me. I thought it was dumb and unrealistic. Really hurt what was becoming a great movie.