A Map of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Map of the World Reviews

½ July 9, 2015
Emotional, brilliantly acted, and realistic. Sigourney and Julianne give their all, and surly convey a lot of emotions with their convincing acting. Anyone who has experience loss, guilt, or crisis can EASILY connect with this film- even some who haven't probably could. The only reason I don't give it more stars is because the movie was too long. The plot stayed interesting, but I feel like 15-20 minutes could have been cut off of the end. The suspense and emotion that was in the beginning lessons a little bit towards the end, but once again, this movie was very good, and worth a watch,
½ March 15, 2015
Partly bad casting.... :( Film not working. Such a shame- from an excellent script and actors to result with such a final version..
½ December 3, 2014
Potentially great story, terrible, tone-deaf execution. How could any movie so consistently fail to hit the right note? I kept wanting to rewrite the dialogue as I watched.
September 16, 2013
I had read that this contained "Oscar level performances", but it actually has very much a 'made-for-tv' feel to it and I didn't find any of it believable or even particularly interesting.
April 26, 2013
good movie! just through really bad times and huge problems in life you can see who are your real friends and who will stand by you no matter what
½ September 22, 2012
Great character drama with one of Sigourney Weaver's best performances. Love the Pat Metheny score.
½ April 14, 2012
I loved this movie. The acting was amazing from both Julianne Moore and Sigourney Weaver. It's good for a one time watch if you're in the mood for a made for t.v movie.
½ September 16, 2011
½ August 7, 2011
Very sad and dark, but still great. It's a very interesting story about a mother who gets in prison even though she's almost innocent. A very strong movie, about how life can turn from good one day to really weired and bad another. Sigourney Weaver was great;)
August 1, 2011
Shockingly underrated domestic horrors film in the vein of the great, unsung Dolores Claiborne. With the exception of some brief, unnecessary flashbacks and two unfortunate voiceovers bookending the film, this is a superbly written, harrowing portrait of vicious small-town narrow mindedness and personal tragedy. The characterization is incredible--leagues better than most of the stolid, stately crap that passes for Oscar-baiting drama. What's more, for a premise that is perched dangerously on the perilous cliff of Lifetime Movie of the Week melodrama, A Map of the World feels unsettlingly surreal in its gradual spiral, in the way that real-life tragedies can and do, and the reactions of the characters all make sense accordingly. Sigourney Weaver goes for broke, and instead of overacting like mad she instead turns in a strikingly singular and nuanced performance, one of the best of her career, essaying a character who is completely unlike any other "wronged woman against the system" role you've ever seen; very few actresses would dare to tackle a parent's ambiguous feelings toward their children and their life in quite the same desperate, empathetic way as she does here.
July 28, 2011
I received this DVD as a free give away and was skeptical to watch as the subject matter is traditionally to my taste. I finally watched it one day due to my appreciation of Sigourney Weaver and was very glad I did. The movie is about what happens to a woman's life after a child dies of an accident on her property and how the town turns against her. It's about strength.
July 8, 2010
good movie!
May 7, 2010
good actresses
hope it's a good movie
March 26, 2010
Cast somewhat against type, Sigourney Weaver is terrific even if the film is a bit staid.
½ August 1, 2009
Kept me interested, but nothing special.
½ March 13, 2009
" Merci de ne pas ceder a la cruaute": cette phrase resume ce film reellement profond.
"Please do not succumb to the cruelty": This sentence summarizes the film really deep.
½ February 28, 2009
Wow. This movie is crazy dark.
½ February 6, 2009
Truly dramatic, I didn't like Sigourney's character, she was WEIRD.
September 17, 2008
A TV movie of the week, just with better actors. Nothing to see here.