The Marc Pease Experience - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Marc Pease Experience Reviews

½ December 15, 2015
Un film qui parle de groupe a capella et de The Wiz avec Anna Kendrick et Ben Stiller? J'en suis. Malheureusement, The Marc Pease Experience est une comédie douce-amère plus fade qu'autre chose avec un abominablement geignard Jason Schwartzmann en tête d'affiche et un scénario aux abonnés absents tant le manque d'enjeux dramatiques se fait sentir au bout de quelques minutes. Le supporting cast est aussi exécrable que les protagonistes principaux et le film manque cruellement de rythme et de punch, ce qui est malheureux vu qu'il ne dure que 85 minutes. Rien ne vaut le coup dans cet océan de médiocrité qui ne fait rien de mal, mais rien de bien. The Marc Pease Experience est passé inaperçu à sa sortie aux US et ne mérite que cela.
June 4, 2015
It starts off on a slow note and though a few moments seem to pick up, the film just isn't enjoyable. The jokes are humorless and it was overall pointless. Had the actors been given proper insight into the characters and then been allowed to continue development from how they see the character, as successful films accomplish, it would have turned out better. However, the directing was still bad and the concept even worse. I had high hopes for the movie, and it completely failed.
½ September 1, 2014
An odd unfunny comedy that isn't unentertaining while at the same time not really entertaining either. The Marc Pease Experience is just one of those films that will be watched and than quickly forgotten and in a way being so plain isn't necessarily a good thing while not really being a bad thing. Stiller is not anywhere near his comical best which is a shame considering this film could have used a Stiller over the top performance if for nothing else than to make it stand apart.
June 22, 2014
half for kendrick the rest of the movie is painful
July 23, 2013
The writers and directors should be fired for making such a convoluted film - the ending was terrible!
½ June 3, 2013
Looking back at The Marc Pease Experience, I had to wonder if any of the three main characters interacted with each other. I came to the conclusion that they each spent at least one, sometimes two scenes with at least one of the other protagonists, but that's it. It's weird to see a film almost completely devoid of interaction between key players, and it's one of the main reasons that this film doesn't end up working to any recognizable degree.

Ostensibly, the lead is Marc Pease (Jason Schwartzman), as we follow him for the majority of the film. He's a former high school a cappella star, whose band now only consists of four out of the original eight members. This is a delusional man. He thinks he's still in high school. He's dating one of our other main characters, Meg (Anna Kendrick), although we only seem them together a couple of times -- once at the beginning and once at the end; maybe there's a time in the middle, but I don't remember it. He is eight years removed from going to this school. I can't be the only one finding this just a little bit creepy.

Our third character is another person who doesn't understand what leaving high school is, the school's drama teacher, Mr. Gribble (Ben Stiller). Gribble once told Marc that if Marc's band ever wanted to record a demo, he'd help produce it. As a result, Marc continues to try to contact his "mentor," despite Gribble not actually wanting to have anything to do with him. Gribble is currently in the process of directing the school's play, a very impressive production of The Wiz -- a musical version of The Wizard of Oz, for those unaware..

Now, Gribble seems like he's just a grownup version of Marc Pease. Many of the personality traits found in one is also found in the other. Both are living in the past, and both are unable to give up the spotlight. The film does nothing with this concept, by the way; you're left to make any possible connection by yourself. Initially I thought that director/writer Todd Louiso was attempting subtlety, but without any mention whatsoever, I can only assume he could only write one type of male character.

Of course, the only important female isn't written any better. She wants to quit singing, or maybe she doesn't -- it doesn't matter and it's unclear; she changes her mind on a whim. By the end of the film she'll have made a decision, but how she arrived at the conclusion makes absolutely no sense to us, because we haven't been given even a semblance of genuine character throughout The Marc Pease Experience.

Very little of the film makes sense, really, because we have no idea why these characters act the way they do. We can almost understand why Marc is still holding on to his childhood spotlight -- he choked on-stage during a prior performance of The Whiz and might be trying to make amends for that -- but because the film gives us no insight into his head, or, indeed, the minds of any of the characters presented to us, there's no way to determine this. You can only guess, and when you have so little to go on, guessing accomplishes very little.

I mentioned earlier that the characters have very few interactons with other ones who are given names. This is true. Most of the time, they talk to extras about nothing in particular, or they sit alone in periods of self-reflection. Reflecting on what, exactly, is and will remain a mystery to us. I mean, is it too much to ask to at least understand where these characters are coming from? Even when all of the revelations occur -- none of which change anything, by the way -- you won't be enlightened on the events that transpired earlier.

For what's supposed to be a compelling drama/comedy, there aren't exactly many instances of this. Since characters rarely interact with each other, there's no possibility of good drama. There are a couple of funny parts -- the opening scene is kind of enjoyable, and many of Ben Stiller's scenes are at least tolerable because he's moderately funny -- but not enough to hold your attention. There also isn't a large number of musical scenes, although that might be appreciated by many potential audience members.

The actors often look lost, and they're forced to utter dialogue that both sounds stupid and doesn't have purpose. Since they rarely get to act across from any other "big name," you can kind of understand why they don't turn in great performances. Ben Stiller, Jason Schwartzman and Anna Kendrick are all strong talents, but, particularly in regards to the last two, none of that talent is utilized here. Stiller gets the only laughs, and they're few and far between.

The Marc Pease Experience isn't even an enjoyable one. It's dreary, filled with characters who are both unlikable and have nonexistent personalities, all of whom do things for no discernible reason. They don't get to interact with each other, they don't get lines that make any sense, and any depth they have has to be guessed or assumed by the audience. It's not funny, and it makes good actors look awful in the process. Forget that The Marc Pease Experience exists.
½ February 5, 2013
I didn't dislike this as much as most folks apparently did, but it wasn't great either. Anna Kendrick's singing was amazing, although sparse. Jason is also very musically talented in real life and it showed, and Ben's number from Pippin, which he played and sang himself, was excellent. Despite all the good music, the movie was just meh, maybe meh+. Still, it was entertaining enough that we weren't sorry to have sat through it, and that makes it a win.
January 20, 2013
Stupid and normal movie, not very funny, there's only one joke or two and the movie is a bit boring, the actors are good but the movie sucks a little bit, only see it if you realy want to.
½ October 16, 2012
Hold your applause.
Marc est un loser. Il ne parvient pas à maintenir l'unité dans son groupe de chant à capella et est resté bloqué sur sa vie d'il y a 10 ans, quand il était membre de la chorale de son collège. En effet, il a une petite copine de 18 ans et continue à harceler son ancien mentor musical, le prof de chant Gribble, malgré son échec à jouer son rôle sur scène lors du spectacle de dernière année. Ceci est son expérience.
Et quelle expérience ennuyante au possible ! L'histoire de ce Marc Pease est inintéressante, on n'éprouve aucune sympathie à son égard, on voudrait seulement qu'il se reprenne en main, cesse de geindre et grandisse enfin. Jason Schwartzman ne suffit pas pour illuminer ce personnage à la coupe de cheveux horrible. Ben Stiller joue un prof imbus de lui-même, paumé mais persuadé d'être tellement talentueux. Le budget casting s'arrête là. Est-ce que celui du scénario a été sacrifié pour avoir ces deux acteurs ? Certaines répliques apportent heureusement un rythme comique au récit. Mais l'ensemble est plat, terriblement plat, voire en pente douce. Pas la peine
½ September 12, 2012
A not very funny comedy
June 1, 2012
Wtf! Caught this halfway through on a movie channel. What the hell! Great cast just plain odd.
½ May 30, 2012
Which is a bummer, because it has some of my favorite actors in it.
½ May 30, 2012
absolute waste of time why ben stiller put he's name to this is beyond me.
½ February 3, 2012
The only good thing is the opportunity of hearing an essambled chorus, no more
January 3, 2012
This one is watchable, but also slightly hard to take, as the lead character of Marc is so ridiculously clueless about his music career, to the point that he's still living in the past and hanging out around the high school as if this isn't completely creepy and something you;d get arrested for.

Ben Stiller plays a giant asshole yet again, making it harder and harder for me to see him in any other capacity, and it's always nice to see Anna Kendrick being cute, but there's not a lot going on beyond that.

November 19, 2011
November 15, 2011
I don't know guys...I kind of enjoyed it...a legit pant load actually, and I don't feel the need to apologize for liking it either. What can I say? I was entertained, and the whole time I was watching the thing it didn't register to me as a guilty pleasure. Anyway, even if i could find a way to comprehend some people not liking it, I will never be able to figure out how so many hated it. I mean I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but come on. When clocking in at a mere 84 minutes, how much could there possibly have been to disapprove of here? With all do respect, I found it to such an easy watch. granted the material isn't exactly oscar worthy but as simple, breezy fluff, well, all I can say is it worked for me.
½ July 3, 2011
unsatisfying piece of nothing.
½ June 13, 2011
Its wasnt great, it wasnt even that good... Had its funny moments. Ben Stiller was hilarious.. But other wise the movie was slow and boring...