Babes In Toyland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babes In Toyland Reviews

December 26, 2016
A fun children's Christmas film. I don't know if I'd want my kids to see it though.
July 26, 2014
A holiday must....for kids or the kid in ya.
April 18, 2014
Excellent kids movie and yes adults too! Funny as can be and the magic of these two is why they are the kings of comedy!!!
November 17, 2013
One of my all time favorite holiday movies while at Nana and Pop Pops house for the holidays. Good times and memories.
August 30, 2013
Laurel and Hardy are always funny.
February 1, 2013
"Let's drop a rock on him and make him dead when he's alive."
January 22, 2013
Good Lord, I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Great film!
December 24, 2012
The film is an authentic children's entertainment and quite the merriest of its kind that Hollywood has turned loose on the nation's screens in a long time.
½ December 23, 2012
A delight from beginning to end.
December 15, 2012
Under rated why is it never on TV?
½ December 8, 2012
"I don't love him!" Haha.
September 3, 2012
Not as good as other Laurel and Hardy stuff
July 20, 2012
A childhood holiday favorite. Every thanksgiving, this movie was on. Has great comedy moments by Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. This film is not a well known film for most people, but it should be discovered more.
½ May 12, 2012
I'd like to put on this shoe and kick him right in the pants

Bo-Peep lives with Mother Goose in a modest house. The landlord of the house adores Bo-Peep and wants to marry her; however, Bo-Peep is not interested in him. When Mother Goose falls behind on her rent, the landlord offers to drop the debts if Bo-Peep marries him. Bo-Peep and Mother Goose refuse the offer. They will rely on two buffoons, Ollie Dee and Stanley Dum, to secure the funds to pay the rent.

"Three little pigs - Elmer, Wiggle, and Jiggs...

Gus Meins (The Little Rascals) and Charley Rogers (The Flying Deuces) collaborate to deliver March of the Wooden Soldiers. The storyline for this picture is magical and reminded me a lot of The Wizard of Oz. The characters are excellent and brilliantly presented with great costumes and settings. The acting is excellent and the cast includes Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Virginia Karns, and Charlotte Henry.

"You children will be the death of me."
"Oh mother. Do you really mean that?"

This was a movie my wife decided to watch since it is the holiday season and I had never seen it before. I was pleasantly surprised at how great this picture was and the fact it did not air regularly like the previously referenced Wizard of Oz. The detailed characters and backdrops were marvelous and the comedic content was classic. This is definitely a must see picture.

Grade: A
May 12, 2012
This was really good. Look for the monkey dressed up as a 1930's era Mickey Mouse.
½ May 12, 2012
I'm 54, but I still like them.
May 12, 2012
One of the funniest laural and Hardy films. Great sets!
May 12, 2012
Consider this a perfect test whether someone has a funny-bone. The holidays are simply incomplete without this wonderful movie shown at least once!
½ May 12, 2012
Day 22 of The 25 days of Christmas Movies Marathon Countdown..... And next up is a classic in the Truest sense of the word.

To me growing up in NYC nothing screams Holiday movie like "March of the Wooden Soldiers" starring Laurel & Hardy. Originally Released in 1934 as "Babes in Toyland" it was re-released several times with a different title to make it seem to audiences that they were going to see a different film. Then it surfaced as a holiday movie on TV with the name "March of the Wooden Soldiers" it became A holiday staple on many television stations throughout the US. In New York, it ran on WPIX channel 11, as March of the Wooden Soldiers, and still runs on WPIX in daytime on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Matter a fact, March of the Wooden Soldiers has run more times than the nationwide network runs of The Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Set in the mythical land of Toyland, Widow Peep (Florence Roberts) is an old woman about to be evicted from her home by the evil Silas Barnaby (Henry Brandon) unless her mortgage is paid. Barnaby is willing to overlook the matter and offer her the deed in favor of being honored for having her daughter, Bo-Peep (Charlotte Henry) as his bride. Bo-Peep loves Tom Tom Piper (Felix Knight, dressed like Peter Pan), and will have nothing to do with him. Stanley Dum (Stan Laurel) and Oliver Dee (Oliver Hardy), a couple of toy-makers who take up room and board in Widow Peep's home, attempt to help by asking their employer, the toy master (William Burress) for an advance in salary, but because Stanley confused Santa Claus's (Ferdinand Munier) order 600 toy soldiers at one foot high, thus giving him 100 toy soldiers at six foot high instead of 600 soldiers at 1 foot high, they both get fired, and must come up with another solution in rescuing Bo-Peep from the clutches of Barnaby.

Directed Gus Meins and Charles Rogers, is a musical fairy tale based on a 1903 operetta. The story was perfect for the comedy team of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy in what's considered to be their very best and highly acclaimed adaptation taken from an operatic work, thanks to its fine script, comedy material and notable storybook characters brought to life on the screen. In spite of Stan and Ollie having to take time away from the screen in favor of plot development, musical interludes and romantic subplot, even appearing nearly ten minutes from the start of the story, the movie, overall, succeeds. Henry Kleinbach's portrayal of the Evil Barnaby is perfect on so many levels.

"March of the Wooden Soldiers will always have a special place in my heart and in the memories of my childhood. I remember it was always shown on Thanksgiving Day after the Macy's parade and I would watch it with my Father, Uncle and Grandmother. It's a timeless classic that passes my Test of Time Test: I mean, I have shown this film to every younger family member of mines and they were hypnotized throughout, all enjoying and laughing at Laurel and Hardy's comedy, and were appropriately scared by the sight of the bogey-men. This movie is perfect for anyone young or old.
I love this movie...
Clasic lines.. Its neither pig not pork, its Beef !!
Too bod they dont play it too often, like once or twice a year, on Thanksgiving during the Macy's Parade... Bummer !!