Margaret - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Margaret Reviews

May 2, 2015
Lengthy indeed, and not short with emotion by any means, "Margaret" presents a tragic story surrounding a heartbreaking event that intercepts young 17-year-old Margaret's life and shakes her to the core. Anna Paquin shines with her painful delivery that feels all too real, and Kenneth Lonergan directs with ease. A difficult film, but a necessary one.
½ April 29, 2015
Actually was surprised at how much I liked it. The acting is convincing and keeps you hooked for the duration even though a little long at just under two and a half hours
April 21, 2015
It felt like a collection of randomly shot scenes, meant for a variety of different films, that went on too long. The characters are over exaggerated, and sometimes plain unbelievable (mother's boyfriend). If the aim was to portray a modern hyper intelligent teenager, who has no idea what to do with it -- then the film could be considered a success.
½ March 17, 2015
We also feels certain she played a determinant role in a deadly accident. She also was brave enough to hold the victim on her lap during her last 5 minutes of life. That is the kind of event causing the famous PTSD. She seems to take it excessively well but it obsess her. She seems to try several approaches to resolve her emotions. With top guilt already, she can try other guilt-trips with others that seems not to feel any of it. It is a way to measure her own against others. Even though she feels upset and frustrated, there is no doubt that her efforts are fruitful. I watched it on dvd over three days because it was long (3 hours). Being an american film, I was expecting the worse in the end. I liked the ending with a definite french flavor. I would even call this a franco-american film. Good acting, we feel the moments as if true. Many awkwards moments made me remember my adolescence.
March 5, 2015
This is a movie I wanted to see for ages. I even tried to track a dvd copy down, but I could never find it at a reasonable price.
My thoughts after finally getting to see it on TV? Thank goodness I never actually purchased it!
Don't get me wrong, acting is good. Story is interesting, but it's sooo long, and Anna's character is a brat I couldn't stand.
Spoiler.......
When she starts rallying to get the bus driver sacked over the accident she caused, I knew I just couldn't with her character. She's always yelling too, just wanted to slap the little madam. Lol.
So, yes, ambitious and well made little movie, but definitely not one to rewatch.(For me, anyhow).
½ February 28, 2015
A potentially interesting character study and complex plot is damaged by a film that is 50% too long and 50% too melodramatic. With more restraint, this could have been a very good film--in this case it's frustrating and average.
February 24, 2015
I found Anna Paquin to be obnoxious.
½ January 24, 2015
can i give it ZERO stars?
what a pretentious, pointless waste of time. i want that 3 hours of my life back!
January 15, 2015
Margaret is an excellent film. The director has tackled a gritty and challenging subject with an exquisite eye to detail. The performances by Anna Paquin and J. Smith-Cameron are superb. There are some flaws such as minor story lines that seem to have no purpose or simply vanish, but those flaws are not enough to detract from the impact of the drama. For those who are not willing to wallow in the drama and who don't relish fine performances, Margaret will undoubtedly seem slow and uninteresting. However, for those who are willing and do so relish (I watched the extended edition at more than 3 hrs.), this is an excellent film despite its minor flaws.
December 6, 2014
Worst movie I have ever seen.
November 18, 2014
A great movie. Grand, operatic, almost shakespearean, as well as incredibly intimate and brutally honest.
PantaOz
½ November 13, 2014
Director/writer Kenneth Lonergan (You Can Count On Me) filmed Margaret in 2005, and it needed six years to have it in the cinemas... I can see why! Whatever way you try to put it together, and, believe me, numerous editors have been recruited to try their luck in shaping it up, this ends up as a pretentious drama which is almost pointless! I cannot believe that a film with Matt Damon, Mark Ruffalo, Jean Reno, Kieran Culkin, Matthew Broderick and Allison Janney could be without a role to be remembered. This must be one of the rare movies which can bring so many stars together and all of them were underutilized!

Having Anna Paquin in my face for two-and-half-hours trying to act in this tragic growing-up melodrama surrounding made my life miserable for the moment... the story of Lisa Cohen started really well, but very soon this privileged teen living in New York City who experiences a loss of innocence, both literally and figuratively, after witnessing a bus running over a woman, became a real mess.

If you are interested in seeing some bad and loud acting from Paquin without real expression of emotions, a story which is mostly obnoxious and solutions flighty, and talented but underutilized supporting cast, go and waste 2.5 hours on it.
½ October 3, 2014
I liked many things about this movie. Its a movie about relationship among other things. The movie has many things.... Great job again by Lonergan. Made in 2005 by released in 2011. a saga just to get it made.... Glad I finally remembered to see it.
September 29, 2014
If you have a cowboy hat my guess is you will leave it at home for a few days.
September 24, 2014
I can't remember seeing a film so wildly unfocused and just all over the map. It starts out with an interesting premise and an interesting main character played quite excellently by Anna Paquin. Unfortunately though, the film deviates from its main plot and goes on many wildly different tangents exploring many different ideas that truly have nothing to do with the central premise but seem to just be thrown in for possibly more flavor but they end up overwhelming the film and deviating it from the main focus. As a result the film feels overstuffed,over packed and goes on way too long. There are times I got bored with it and would hop onto my iPod and look up movie reviews or check Facebook, conscious of what was going on screen but just kind of tuning out. Many of the many performances are actually quite good with Anna Paquin giving a very good central performance and the supporting characters played by Matt Damon and Mark Ruffalo are also well done. But as I said the characters and their personal problems get drowned out in a film that just doesn't seem to know what it's focus should be and seems to wander into too many plot lines and as a result the central ideas are watered-down. This is a film that easily could've been trimmed by about 90 minutes depending on whether or not you're watching the extended cut or the theatrical version. The screenplay also needed some very harsh trimming before the film ever went into production. On top of that the direction of the film is pretentious and many times just plain bad. Their are times when too much is going on and you can't hear what the main characters are saying. The director also has this unnecessary tendency to make these large panning shots that have nothing to do with the film and it feels like the director is trying to draw more attention to himself and how he is directing a film in the story itself. Margaret could've been an and emotionally heart wrenching and I'm tearjerking experience of a film which I think is what the director wanted. But due to his own poor direction and overstuffed screenplay that goes off in way too many different directions Margaret does not have the emotional impact that it could, or should have had and instead has this just mindnumbing feeling of excess.
September 21, 2014
Its like an exceptionally good screenplay that was written by a 15 year old. All forced hysteria and only HOT and COLD instead of the whole spectrum.
September 13, 2014
Self indulgent and wasteful of numerous great actors who all seem to have been booked for cameo roles. Overall all the charactors are horrible! even the dieing woman is horrible. Anna Paquin does well buy yhte plot is baffling and it is hard to watch a film in which you dont care about anyone in it or give a monkies about the outcome...Fizzer.
½ August 28, 2014
Though plodding, overstuffed and ultimately quite messy, this slice-of-life drama covers an often underdeveloped premise in cinema without compromise. Held together finitely by Anna Paquin, Margaret is at once riveting and absorbing, yet uncomplicated and monotone.
August 11, 2014
Not bad. A bit of a grandstanding performance from Anna Paquin, a bit illogical in parts - but powerful stuff. Overlong at two and a half hours, and the plot waves around too many subplots. Interesting to see Matt Damon, Mark Ruffalo and Jean Reno play smallish supporting roles. It's worth looking up the poem Margaret by Gerard Manley Hopkins, which features briefly in the film but contains the kernel of its message. J. Smith-Cameron as Lisa's mother actually has a major role which she performs beautifully, but she doesn't get much mention in the credits. I wonder why? Lots of interesting observation here about modern America and its attitudes to the Middle East, Israel, Syria, the Jews and all that jazz.
August 1, 2014
This film surely rewards repeat viewings, for it is one of the most raw, textured works of precise character study and operatic drama I've ever seen, a jagged yet profound construction whose messiness adds thematic and exhilarating momentum to what is a searching and uncommonly honest exploration and depiction of the complexities and difficulties of communication and shared experience. Lonargan's writing and amazing performances by his cast combine for the creation of some of the most fully realized and realistic characters in all of cinema, who guide the viewer through expertly distilled and internalized ideas of guilt, grief, adolescence, and the minutiae of human behavior. It may also be the most potent post 9/11 film yet made, dealing both pointedly and atmospherically with the uncertainty, anger, and trauma that event provoked