Margaret - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Margaret Reviews

½ April 9, 2014
the trailer only begins to give a glimpse of what lies in store.
positives: well acted, no cookie cutter characters, makes you think...
negatives: one major editing hiccup....
overall impression: surprisingly good and highly recommended......
½ April 3, 2014
WTF was the point of this? 2 and a half hours of examples of emotional nut cases?
March 27, 2014
Started out with good potential with a decent cast and plot line, but fell apart and left the audience thinking "what was the point?"
March 19, 2014
I was really surprised to see the critics praise this movie. I thought it was a disappointment. The plot kept bending and twisting, and it eventually just started to make me laugh at what directions the movie was taking. Great cast, but it fell flat for me.
February 17, 2014
Watched the theatrical version. There's some really good stuff in this movie, but then it contains a few subplots that should have been removed. The conversions feel real due to their awkwardness. The reviews I've seen all mention how unsympathetic Lisa is. I actually did feel for her, seeing how of course she's incredibly selfish and narcissistic - she's a teenager. She seems to mean well, but doesn't know how to cope with her guilt, bringing her to a pathologically hysterical state. I think Lonergan's whole script is essentially cynical and showing pretty much everyone in the movie as being petty, selfish, and self absorbed, not just Lisa. The movie should have been no more than perhaps two hours, though (unless the 3 hour cut improves greatly on the neglected subplots).
February 1, 2014
These critics are crazy - this movie is overlong, poorly edited, and horribly acted. Given the choice, I would rather watch the QVC network for two and half hours rather than sit through this disaster again.
½ February 1, 2014
This is not a great movie, but it is somehow... essential.
January 30, 2014
A very dramatic soap opera with good actors.
January 19, 2014
The best film so far of the 2010-2019 decade. Let's see how this holds up for the next six years.
January 11, 2014
Beautiful dialogue scenes and fascinating characters. Loved the photography of New York City as well. I cannot believe they pulled off the final scene with Renée Fleming on the Met stage (although I think a more traditional Italian opera, preferably something involving consumption :), would have fit the story better)!!
January 3, 2014
The most frustrating and annoying film you will ever see.
January 2, 2014
Powerful and entertaining.
December 3, 2013
This movie showcases a musical and cinematographic love letter to NYC. In contrast to the intensity of the actual story line, these audiovisual intermezzi permit the viewer to take a deep breath and relax a bit before the next scene. I particularly enjoyed scene of my childhood homeland, the Upper West Side.
November 23, 2013
well i just watched the movie but i think this movie is really revolving on one person but in my point of view they both are guilt ( lisa and the bus driver) because she really do an inappropriate acting of bending intentions of the driver so the driver disturbed from their job which is driving and driver fault is to freakin waving at the time of signal.... which is at the end lisa also agreed to her fault.. but driver did'nt suffer for his fault.. overall movie is normal and for 2 hrs. totally suck..

½ November 20, 2013
An awkward, hard-to-watch, and dreadful experience.
November 7, 2013
Some scenes seem to be pointless. for example, why does Margaret have sex with her math teacher? This scene should have been cut. Also panning around some unworthy New York buildings made me think that the director was trying to be Woody Allen, without Woody's smarts.
November 7, 2013
I watched the three hour edit of this film and even that edit didn't make sense. It is like someone took My So-Called Life, removed all the joy from it, then edited the remaining angst into a 3 hour film with no thought given to a through plotline or tangibility.
This is a horrific mess of a film wasting a fine cast. I think most of Matthew Broderick is on the cutting room floor as his non-role as an English teacher only seems to serve to explain the film's title.
Jeannie Berlin's character of Amy does confront Lisa ( acompletely unsympathetic cunt of a lead character if ever there was one) saying, " this isn't an opera and they aren't all supporting characters to the drama of your amazing life!" There was a hint of idea there, but sadly, this is exactly what everyone is.
There is great acting abound, but the through line is none existant and they all just feel like acting class lessons. If someone had said, "..and scene," after one dramatic outburst, I wouldn't have been shocked.
Terrible film.
November 5, 2013
One of those love or loathe it movies. The many layers of the movie battle eachother which is quite confusing for the restless impatient viewer. Is this a story about New York, about modern teenagers or about trauma, grief and guilt? Most likely about all of these themes at the same time, which make em all drown in a big swamp of storylines, subplots, moods and contradictions. Some very good acting (bar Matt Damon, who seems a bit unsure of what he's doing here) still make for good viewing for large sections. All characters are heavily flawed and the main ones are downright unsympathatic, which is always a difficult issue to overcome for any movie and a lot of its audience will be turned off because of this. There is a certain pretentiousness here as well, an example of which is that the title seems to refer to one abstract Manley-Hopkins poem that only gets read out once by Paquin's English teacher. The meaning of this poem and its relationship to the movie is hard to comprehend, which is symptomatic for the rest of this effort.
October 13, 2013
A little long for sure but great performances throughout. Here's hoping Kenneth Lonergan can return to the consistency of 'You Can Count On Me' with his next effort.