Margaret's Museum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Margaret's Museum Reviews

½ May 13, 2014
A sad but beautiful story.
April 15, 2014
I'm probably over-rating this because it's among the better Canadian movies I've seen... I wouldn't think it stacks up with other movies I've given four stars to, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. Compelling love story and a wonderful performance by Helena Bonham Carter.
½ June 21, 2012
the ending is fucked up
November 28, 2011
this movie should be in my english class. We should read the book for this, it has a lot of realistic themes and human suffering.
February 19, 2011
Read the book, which I didn't like that much, but anything with Helena Bonham Carter must be good. :)
February 1, 2009
It tackles some very important subjects and themes, Russell & Bonham Carter do a great job together and the filml even carries a very witty (and sometimes dark) sense of humour. The problem is that despite opening on the ending the story lacks any sort of direction.
January 23, 2009
I cannot believe I have not seen this yet! Well...there are so many great films out there and o so little time to watch them all!
½ November 2, 2008
The first movie to make me laugh and cry at the exact same time, and for completely different reasons - for that alone I would give it four stars. But, the brilliant acting of Helena Bonham Carter and Clive Russell as well as the tale's quirky charm and devastating sadness make it a wonderful film worth watching.
August 25, 2008
A great, little-known movie about Cape Breton.
August 9, 2008
Helena Bonham Carter is unbelievable. She is so underrated. Very, very sad.
July 14, 2008
Ali's comments definitely make me want to see this one.
½ July 2, 2008
I can't believe I haven't reviewed this film already. I have watched it multiple times and think it is extremely well done.

I am from a long line of Cape Breton coal miners and Maragaret's mother reminds me so much of my grandmother that it creeps me out. So, perhaps my opinion is quite tainted but here's what I thought.

1. The acting was fantastic. The actors captured the Glace Bay and Highland accents with ease but, beyond that, they captured those archetypes well.

2. The scenery was breathtaking. Margaret's house was built down the road from where I grew up. I remember watching the film crews come and go. Maybe it takes the big screen to wake one up to the beauty that surrounds them their whole life long.

3. The story feels real and sincere. It's based on a short story by Sheldon Currie which I have read and is adaptly gracefully to the screen. The story is funny, tragic, and always passionate.

And a few words about the ending. I don't see why people say it's "weird" as if that's a bad thing. Not only do I think that it fits well with Margaret's quirky and strong character but I thought it was absolutely perfect, unexpected (except you'll expect something now that I said that), dramatic, and, most importantly, interesting - the exact aspects that are missing in so many films.

All in all, I can say that I am extremely grateful that so many people get to see the struggle and the story of one sliver of Cape Breton in this artistically pleasing way.
June 19, 2008
Helena Bonham Carter is just an amazing actress. Very touching film.
½ May 9, 2008
Glace Bay eh?
Both leading actors do a great job of adopting the accent, although i felt it to be draggy in parts. tragic and weird in the end. I love creepy weird shit like that, but... i felt it unfitting.
April 18, 2008
This show stayed with me right up until today...I remember finally understanding what my Mother's relatives went through. And then I had the pleasure of working with Mort Ransen the director here in Whse.
March 5, 2008
Super good, eye opening and brilliant.
February 11, 2008
Helena Bonham Carter is great, but only if she has crazy hair. If she has regular hair, the movie prolly sucks.
½ January 22, 2008
Hellacious Helena burrowed into my Wabana.
½ January 20, 2008
very depressing but wonderfully acted movie...loved it in a twisted way
January 15, 2008
Helena Bonham Carter before she started shaving her unibrow and got knocked up by Tim Burton.