Margot at the Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Margot at the Wedding Reviews

August 8, 2013
Characters like this don't get screen time so often and i love it!, One of the most real family based movies I've seen, as your family are the only people you can be rude to without consequences, unconditional love.
I feel the characters also have been excellently cast and the dark dry humor is just my cup of tea.
July 29, 2013
hi all the actors are great except Jack black If Ciaran hadn't been in this it would have died a slow death Mr hinds my hat goes off to you your a brave man
½ July 9, 2013
Margot at the Wedding is not for everybody's taste. It Baumbach achieves something that directors rarely even attempt - for the audience to be simply disgusted and annoyed by the main characters to an extent that they dislike them quite intensely. The screenplay is rather strange and fragmented, which makes the film kind of hard to comprehend, which is my biggest issue with the film. As interesting and complimentary Baumbach's approach is, especially with the 'hating on the characters', it does not help the audience to like the film. On the brighter side, the performances here are top-notch: Nicole Kidman is her usual excellence in this film, as the bitter sister Margot. Her sister is played by the Jennifer Jason-Leigh, who is at least as good as Kidman in his film, if not a tiny bit better. They work great together as sisters. Also, Jack Black is surprisingly real in one of his rare serious roles on-screen. Overall, a difficult but interesting film, with some really good acting.
July 7, 2013
Baumbach takes on another dysfunctional family and provides another compelling flick.

As with Wes Anderson, Baumbach has developed a look and feel to his films which focus on affluent creative types who have made questionable choices throughout their lives. This film is no exception and its the characters that hold the attention as opposed to the story which is minimal. That being said, the characters populating this film are pretty great.

Kidman is excellent portraying Margot as an ice queen who alienates everyone around her. I love watching her in films like this as she excels in parts like this. Jack Black and Jennifer Jason-Leigh are also pretty great as the sister and brother in law who bear the brunt of Margot's actions.

If you are a fan of Baumbach's other works, it is likely that you will find lots of interest here, if not this is unlikely to convert you. Personally I like his take on the world and enjoyed this a lot....
½ May 14, 2013
It was Ok filled with good performances, lagged in interest sometimes but overall was a decent watch
April 24, 2013
A hugely uninteresting 'interesting movie' felt like I was watching a horrible, painful, undergraduate film. This movie talks down to the viewer in that way that hyperintellectual Indie flicks love to do. So many times I found myself asking 'why the fuck is this happening now?' And then by the end I realised I just didn't care.
½ April 24, 2013
very weird movie about disfunctional family!
½ April 12, 2013
Horrendously hilarious. Like a brilliant short story come to life.
½ April 9, 2013
Looks as if the first film was a fluke.
March 8, 2013
Words can't capture how let down I was by this. So, so disappointing.
January 22, 2013
I suppose this movie was supposed to be a realistic approach to the ways in which siblings relate to one another when they exist in complete separate realms. What I saw was a film that attempted to capture people as they are in reality: petty, bitter, and lost.

Someone once told me there are 2 types of movies, art and entertainment, and once you've watched something you should be able to categorize that film into one or both categories. Good movies are easy to fit, great movies straddle that fine line that divides the two categories.
This, however...
Entertaining it was not. I purposefully took my watch off five minutes into the film so I could convince myself to finish watching it. It wasn't art since the overarching theme of "humans are petty, bitter, and lost," was itself lost through veiled attempts at comedy. I think that this film wanted to show audiences what people are truly like. However, there was no insight, no personal introspectives that the audience was privy. All you get is the shallow facades you are treated to in the real world. So I thought it was little more than an extravagant home movie.
December 21, 2012
Amazing. Great writing, superb acting, unique characters that you won't find in other films...Totally worthwhile.
December 9, 2012
There is so much bad language in this film that it actually loses the impact it is suposed to have.........and it is sickening. Nicole Kidman does a pretty good job, but no one else. There are many scenes shot in semi-darkness, which lends a gloomy atmosphere to the entire movie. The animosity between the sisters is well portrayed, though. I really do not recommend this movie to anyone.
December 5, 2012
No it is not a 52%! I love the strange, cerebral, sad, yet hilarious sister relationship in this film. Complicated family dynamics are often hard to sort out and this film makes a fervent attempt at doing just that. But no action or special affects, it's all character study and some very silly stuff from Jack Black.
November 18, 2012
awkward family moments.
½ November 10, 2012
Vulgar and whining; if Noah Baumbach wants his characters to be quirky, he sure has succeeded considerably to make them obnoxious people we do not care about. An utter disappointment .
½ October 21, 2012
"margot at the wedding" is noah baumbach doing what he does best. rather than following a complete story, we're following characters for a brief period of time. it's entirely well written, uncomfortably awkward, yet hilarious. plus there are amazing performances from nicole kidman, jennifer jason leigh and jack black.
September 25, 2012
Genial y entretenida
½ September 23, 2012
I loved the overall tone & material of the film, and by the end I really felt like it had struck a chord. What is family? What is it to be vulnerable? Who are the ones we are the most vulnerable and yet vicious to?

Great acting, and a thorough script. My only complaint is that the film didn't really move me through any highs... It was so focused on this deluge of lows, subdued and muted... but I can appreciate that.
½ September 18, 2012
Is when the dysfunctional family motif hovers always close to the risible. One of the darkest, most complex films I've seen in a while. Little bit weird, i can say... but no in a bad way.