Maria By Callas Reviews

• 1d ago

interesting documentary with great music.

interesting documentary with great music.

• Apr 07, 2019

Fascinado de conocer a Callas y perdidamente enamorado de María...

Fascinado de conocer a Callas y perdidamente enamorado de María...

• Mar 17, 2019

As the DVD cover says,"A dazzling documentary. This is what a star is made of." Callas' life is told in her own words: interviews, letters & diaries. You don't have to be an opera lover not to enjoy this unique documentary.

• Mar 01, 2019

I think this movie is mostly for the fanatics; I would have appreciated a little more background in order to enjoy the information, images, and beautiful music that was presented.

• Jan 09, 2019

I'm a professional musician and an opera lover, and I learned a lot. Highly recommended. It's not a movie. It's a documentary. The editing could have been a bit cleaner, but the clips are very old. I have a different perception of her now. She's not the difficult diva that many think she was.

• Dec 25, 2018

I felt that I knew the person a little better. Wonderfully made film, great music! Good story.

• Dec 24, 2018

Very interesting documentary about La Divina Maria Callas, with unseen videos, letters, and excerpts from her personal diary. A must see for all the Opera lovers. The young director Tom Volf really did a great job.

• Dec 14, 2018

A superb Oscar worthy documentary about the fascinating life and glorious art of one of the world's greatest opera stars. Do not miss this masterpiece, whether or not you follow opera.

• Dec 04, 2018

Inline image As a kid the only thing I knew about opera was what I learned in music appreciation in high school and that was "Carmen" and "Madame Butterfly". I, also, went on a school trip to the 'Old Met' plus let's not forget Mario Lanza as Caruso or Jeanette McDonald and Nelson Eddy. In the 1950s I was very much into theatre, both musicals and plays, plus concerts, pop and Bernstein, movies, television was becoming very popular and the name Maria Callas started to appear in papers, magazines, interview shows on television but mainly became known as a prima donna first in a good way than as a sneer. She was a married woman having an affair with a Greek millionaire who would eventually leave her for Jackie Kennedy after the United States President died. In "Maria by Callas" Maria Callas tells her story in her words, pictures, events and we hear her voice at its best, though recordings 50-60 years ago weren't as clear as they are today. We see her being mobbed by fans, the press, notable people like Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Mother, Elizabeth Taylor, Bridgette Bardot, interviewed by Edward R. Murrow, David Frost and Barbara Walters. She talks about how and why performances were missed and how, as a woman, she had to choose between her career and having a family, her feuds with her mother and the Met Opera director Rudolph Bing. Whether playing the Diva or the rejected lover the main things that stand out about Maria Callas are her wide, open black eyes, thin body and, yes, that glorious voice. I won't pretend I know bel canto technique from a soaring soprano or other voices but I can be moved and I was by many of the arias she sings in this documentary. "Maria by Callas" presents a woman, a singer, many of us may have only known by the headlines or a gay icon but who deservedly was called 'the' female opera singer of the twentieth century. It also makes me realize what I missed not seeing her perform on stage.

• Dec 03, 2018

Disclaimer: I really dislike opera. I was hoping for less singing and more story but even the story mostly put me to sleep and the singing was painful to my ears.