Marjoe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marjoe Reviews

June 28, 2016
A fantastic portrayal & expose of Marjoe Gortimer, a household name in North American South as a Child Preacher & was ordained as a minister at 4 years old & married a couple at 4 and half.

This film follows Marjoe's return to the preaching circuit & his phenomenal success with the Christian Tent Revivals.

Although clearly corrupted by money he had an electrifying charisma & ability to communicate & hook the masses. He seemed to have some dignity at the end but fooled many, an interesting documentary on a clever conman.
½ January 10, 2015
the movie was funny and an honest embarrassment for all of the people who believed in Marjoe, but I didn't feel like I learned much from the film. however, I now trust megapreachers as and preachers of even decent size churches less (not that I trusted them that much anyway), knowing how easily devotion can be faked.
hunterjt13
October 11, 2014
A grown up child faith-healer reveals the schemes and deceptions of his trade.
Inside the brain of a con artist, this documentary is everything that's good about Elmer Gentry with the added benefit of being all true. Marjoe is an unappealing person, but the film is starkly honest and unflinching in its condemnation. The thesis isn't as intelligent about faith as it might be (because after all faith is far more complex than can be shown in a film or garnered in a tent rally), but this is still a valuable and compelling film.
Overall, Marjoe is a fascinating look at the business of conversion.
½ February 25, 2014
Brilliant - funny at times, disturbing at others, and fronted by a man with such charisma that it's impossible not to like him... even if he's a professional conman.
November 16, 2013
The Bible Belt's Mick Jagger
June 17, 2013
I think it's absurd to review this film based upon your religious convictions. I think it's more appropriate to review it based upon it's content and how the film is crafted. And it get's an A in those areas. This sheds light on how easily manipulated children can be and how even more easily adults can fall for anything if they want it to be real. Marjoe had an unfortunate upbringing and the realizations that he makes in this film are gratifying for the viewers. This is an important documentary for believers and non-believers alike. Don't watch it with defiance like others clearly have.
½ April 25, 2013
Pra quem gosta de ver um golpista (e ex-celebridade) expondo os segredos do seu ofício "Marjoe" é um filme imperdível. Vencedor do Oscar de melhor documentário em 72, foi assistido por poucas pessoas devido à censura branca das distribuidoras e donos de cinema na época. Dez anos atrás foi descoberto num depósito e restaurado.
October 11, 2012
I can understand the impact this film made at the time and why it deserves its Oscar. This film literally change the face of Christian America. However it loses a couple of points because I can only enjoy so many hours so constant, crazy preaching, speaking "in tongues" and flailing on the floor.
½ October 1, 2012
Terrifying, but Religulous is better.
March 23, 2012
Frightening, infuriating and so sad.
February 7, 2012
Selv etter å ha sett denne så fins det evangelister merkelig nok.
August 31, 2011
It really opens your eyes to a whole new world. Honestly, it's tragic. A must see.
½ August 11, 2011
A wolf in Sheep's clothing. A well-established evangelist goes on his farewell tour just to do business for business sake. But, it also shows the double-life between his real self and his business operations. Well-done documentary classic.
June 26, 2011
Oscar-winning doc is a little long-winded.
January 10, 2011
An amazing look inside the Pentacostal church by a trusted and famous pastor, who admits that it's all a scam. Marjoe Gortner was a child prodogy. The son of pentacostal parents who was trained to recite versus, how to give a great performance and when to solicit money from believers. He was ordained at the age of four and continued to preach into his teens. He gave up preaching and joined the hippy movement until in his twenties, needing money, went back to the only thing he knew how to do well. Preach and get people to empty their wallets for God.
½ June 24, 2010
An exposee of the BUSINESS of the evangelical churches. Probably a much bigger impact in 1972, when it won the Oscar for Best Documentary. It definitely has less of a punch with all the well-documented scandals over the years, but very interesting nonetheless.
½ March 17, 2010
really interesting, food for thought
October 16, 2009
Watching this makes me want to start a church of my own =)