Marjorie Morningstar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marjorie Morningstar Reviews

½ July 17, 2012
Enjoyable movie that was one of Natalie Wood's first "grown up" roles. She's not bad but a little on the "wooden" side at times. Gene Kelly is woefully miscast and chews the scenery like crazy! The one fabulous performance is by Carolyn Jones as "Marsha Zelenko" ("twenty seven bucks. shot!"), Marjorie's best friend. Good supporting cast that includes Ed Wynn, Claire Trevor, Martin Milner and Martin Balsam. Gorgeous soundtrack that includes the lushly romantic "A Very Special Love".
November 12, 2011
The camp scenes were actually filmed in New York State's Adirondack Mountains at Camp Cayuga, and at the resort next door, Scharoon Manor - both on Schroon Lake. I know because I went to that camp and I am in about 5 scenes. What a thrill!
½ September 16, 2010
Natalie Wood is seen in just about every scene of this charming movie. Sure its a bit slow, but the era of 1957 was pretty slow anyway. A tortured love affair between Kelly and Wood drills down to the real truth of their relationship. Give it credit for that. The ending is what that relationship? was all about.

What helps the film for me in the beginning was the location. Shot initially at a lake resort (and ending there too), with water all around in some of the scenes, it reminds me of better days away from this desert town (Casablanca) I know too well. Later as the film progresses it's in the city, the lights, Broadway, the pressure to be somebody.

Gene Kelly fans, his best dramatic (I think) performance, will love this spring-summer romance, with Kelly the big Broadway hot shot and little Natalie Wood the naive want-to-be star of the stage. While her parents appear early in the film watching over her every move when she dates, the showdown comes when they meet Kelly, a free spirit. They follow Wood all through the film like it should be, even in the worst times.

Kelly early in the film knows better than to keep meeting Wood, he even tells her he should avoid her, but the impulse of infatuation (or continuing the movie) overwhelms him as he crumbles at her presence. But something goes bad between the two and the free spirit Kelly finds his way back to Southwind resort where it all began.

Veteran vaudvillian Ed Wynn (father to Keenan Wynn, if that helps who was in Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World) makes more than a few appearances as the uncle of young 18 year old Natalie Wood. There are lots of extras that we have all seen before in this film. Too numerous to mention.

Overall, there is so much 1957 era costuming, manners, furniture, drinking, smoking and the rest of that time to make this worth watching. It is a time capsule to say the least.

While too long for many at 2 hours 5 minutes, this color film of a Kelly in his decline and Wood in her ascendance should make one hell of a relationship. Kelly does some tremendous acting toward the last third of the film as a comeback showman who can't stand being a suit (a worker).

This film was rather radical in its day for bringing to the silver screen Jewish traditions and parenting. Much like Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, this was supposedly taboo at the times.

Recommended for romanticists everywhere that enjoy a walk through late 50s filmographies.

A great soundtrack is so haunting and compelling.

A bittersweet romance that we hope no one, especially ourselves, ever goes through.
½ August 21, 2010
A fabulous "May to December" kind of film though admittedly Kelly's character isn't that much older. Natalie Woods shines in this film and is breathtaking and I got the sense of how much a loss her untimely death was to moviegoers of her era. Kelly plays the cad who falls for her but ultimately is unworthy of her and she finally realizes it. What a matchup!
August 23, 2009
Well produced melodrama. Natalie Wood is a little stiff in her acting, but Gene Kelly does well enough. Good story, but a little overly dramatic. Some of the music is outstanding.
½ January 18, 2009
the book is much better
August 17, 2008
The script is terrible, it's too long but Wood and Kelly try their best to give it their all.
½ August 16, 2008
Meh!! although i love Gene Kelly, seriously he could be in the crappest film ever and i would defend it. Anywho this film isn't a classic and where was my happy ending, i'm all about the happy endings, that just makes me sad.
½ August 15, 2008
A classic up and down love story in true studio style, drags a bit towards the end though.
June 20, 2008
This movie with Gene Kelly is going be awesome when I see it!!
April 6, 2008
A film which amplifies all of the pitfalls of the 1950s melodrama..The cast is solid especially Kelly and Wood, shot in gorgeous Technicolor but the films repeatedly asks the big questions that the film does not have the guts to answer. Sadly, Gene Kelly only dances for about 30 seconds in this.
December 28, 2007
It's kind of depressing.
November 16, 2007
Love this film, though the book is better!!!
August 31, 2007
The top of my mother's mortarboard is briefly visible in the graduation scene, which was filmed at Hunter College (which was then in the Bronx). Otherwise unwatchable.
½ August 26, 2007
A disappointing film.
½ August 23, 2007
The story is lovely.The characters reminiscent of a youth long ago.
July 31, 2007
As a Martin Milner fan, I love love love this movie. He gets to show off his acting chops in a romantic and non law enforcement role in a role that his much larger than "Sweet Smell of Success." The cast of this film is so strong, with everyone putting in great work. An enjoyable movie.
July 12, 2007
A pleasant movie just because Natalie Wood and Gene Kelly are in it. It's filled with drama and the ending is remarkably sad.
CloudIsAMonkey
June 21, 2007
Romance romance romance. Oh how it sickens me. >_>"
June 17, 2007