Mark of the Vampire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mark of the Vampire Reviews

½ April 30, 2016
Horror classic vampire movie except there's no "real" vampire. A wealthy man is killed, blood drained with bite marks. The locals deem it the work of vampire of a dead count Bela Lugosi and daughter. Lionel Atwill the police investigate and don't buy it. Lionel Barrymore is the professor expert. The daughter of the man Elizabeth Allan is also attack with bite marks and live under guardian Jean Hersholt. Soon they go to the castle to investigate and find the coffin of the man empty. Turns out Jean is hypnotize by Lionel to re-enact the day where he poison the man's drink and make people believe it is done by vampire. After he did the same thing, Lionel catch him in the act and wake him up. The reason for killing him is because Jean want to marry Elizabeth to get the wealth because she is going to marry her love fiance and the father agree to the marriage. Also at the end Bela and the daughter vampire are just actors hire for the whole investigation.
January 27, 2016
Classic Lugosi flick with a twist.
½ October 12, 2015
Absurd plot, dumb twist, and kinda hard to follow because 20 minutes was cut from the movie or whatever. But, there are some gorgeous set pieces and some great shots and stuff. Worth slogging through (it's only 60 min.) for the good stuff. Look out for the dope possum shot!
July 31, 2015
Very short (as a result of studio cuts and interference) vampire story from Tod Browning (Dracula, Freaks) that succeeds on many levels, particularly in creating a spooky Eastern European atmosphere. In fact, in some ways this film seems less static than the classic Lugosi Dracula. However, the vampires do take second billing and Lugosi himself has not much to do. Carol Borland is a bit more spooky as his daughter, also a vampire, and a shot in which she descends with wings is creepily successful. For what it is worth, there is a twist at the end of the film, focused on the first vampire-attributed murder in the film; I may have been distracted at times but this twist confused the hell out of me and I needed to go back and figure out what I had missed. Lionel Barrymore (soon to star in Browning's very weird The Devil-Doll) turns out to have saved the day.
November 5, 2014
Mark of the Vampire is a remake of a silent film that arrived 10 years prior that is considered a lost film during an MGM fire in 1965. Since we have a remake, we can now understand the storyline better but only under a few circumstances. The characters have been changed along with the setting and modifications to the plot. Now explained, it's not so much a vampire flick as it is just a crime drama. This is one of Hollywood's early looks at what vampires are like. Back then, they turned into bats went to sleep in some crypt and coffin at night and barely ever drank blood, spoke English but almost never even spoke in general, were really silent and hypnotized people by stating at them. Mostly male vampires like Dracula himself and beautiful white women. The plot is easier to follow in general but has a little more umph to it. It's only about ten minutes longer.
October 30, 2014
1 of my favourite horror classics
½ October 28, 2013
Tod Browning directed this eerie vampire film that comes with quite an unexpected twist at the end that will either delight or annoy. I think I was more or on the annoyed end, but it was still a solid bit of classic horror. Bela Lugosi dons the cap once more as a vampire moving into a new home and Lionel Barrymore is the Van Helsing-like character trying to stop him. Browings beautifully shot and wonderfully spooky atmosphere, along with Lugosi in top form, make this film well worth watching despite and ending I did not care for.
½ July 25, 2013
Bit creaky and hammy but is still an enjoyable horror from the period--Trippy vampire tale with a twist!!
½ June 5, 2013
A fairly good Vampire film.
May 28, 2013
A professor of the occult blames the murder of a nobleman on vampires. A chilling atmosphere and a script that never denies its audience of a few giggles, which tended to lack in horror films of the time, Mark of the Vampire is chilling and some of the effects work surprisingly well, yet what really distinguishes this among other vampire films is Browning's audaciousness in using a typical formula and daring to shape shift the film's nature with its surprisingly witty ending. As a result, this may be one of those films whose simple creativity is sorely underrated.
½ April 17, 2013
Tod Browning directing Lugosi & L.Barrymore!! While it's a shame Lugosi was typecast, this film had excellent supporting cast, cinematography, editing, and of course a script adapted from the lost classic "London After Midnight".
December 13, 2012
It's not Browning's best (Lugosi needed to talk more) but it's an atmospheric romp full of classic mystery, murder, and ghouls.
½ October 31, 2012
Amazingly innovative and surprising for a movie from the 1930's. Not really scary, but surprisingly thrilling and funny. Loved the overall atmosphere of the overtone, and hard to forget visually. But at the end of the day the flow of the film is weird and clunky. The twist also feels forced and unnatural.
rubystevens
October 9, 2012
wonderful gothic atmosphere but there's an odd tone to the film and you'll soon discover why. i still can't decide if the ending is clever or just ridiculous. not browning's finest hour but worth seeing
October 6, 2012
Heading into this film, I figured it was going to be an awesome Vampire movie. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film, but it could of been a lot better. Bela Lugosi's role as Count Mora was very limited, with not much dialogue at all until the end of the film, same goes for his Daughter Luna, played by Carroll Borland.

The film isn't exactly what it seems to be, and you'll learn that at the end of the film.
October 3, 2012
really good. i liked it and the twist ending.
½ September 1, 2012
A moody supernatural detective story, there's atmosphere to spare, and Lugosi and Borland make a suitably eerie pair. The plot involves a "twist" that many probably will find hard to buy, but I actually found it pretty inventive and unexpected, at least based on my expectations going in. The film's not as iconic as much of Universal's output from this era (this was an MGM production), but it's solid genre entertainment.
June 9, 2012
The authenticity is great, and it can be creepy at times. However, it does get slightly repetitious and can be slow at times. But overall, it's an intriguing mystery
October 9, 2011
MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935)
July 11, 2011
Not bad remake of the lost classic London After Midnight which is apparently better.