Marked for Death Reviews

• Apr 29, 2019

This is favourite Seagal film, an atmospheric, eerie, action film set in Jamaica and Chicago, featuring a Seagal in his prime, as he takes on a Jamaican gang.

• Nov 19, 2018

A decently made Seagal film

A decently made Seagal film

• Feb 09, 2018

A typical forgettable Seagal movie, but at least it was made in a not yet so severe PC era and this fact somewhat elevates this picture now.

• Jan 02, 2018

2 stars for nostalgia. I really liked this as a kid but it has aged badly. Again, another film that has a sequel feel about it...Seagal plays the same character out of Above the Law and Hard to kill but gives him a different name.

• Nov 27, 2017

After the successes of Nico, Above the Law and Hard to Kill, before Out for Justice, Marked for Death hit the big screen. It was in fact the only Steven Seagal film to be distributed by 20th Century Fox, not Warner Bros. I didn't like the film really much because I find it to be dull and boring. Yeah, the fight scenes are enjoyable including the jewellery scene Steven and the Jamaicans and the best thing the end fight scene between Steven Seagal and Screwface. It's disturbing as hell especially when Steven gouges Screwface's eyes and breaks his back. Ouch! Like I was thinking, nothing about Marked for Death is exciting until the end like I don't mind the bone breaking. I expect more from this movie.

• May 16, 2017

One of Steven`s only good films.

One of Steven`s only good films.

• Feb 20, 2017

Seagal in his prime as a recently retired drug enforcement agent who takes down a Jamaican drug lord. Lots of violence and dead bodies in this one. I never bought into the voodoo subplot but watching Seagal break numerous bones in hand-to-hand combat makes this one a film to watch.

• Mar 02, 2016

Chicago DEA agent John Hatcher (Steven Seagal) returns from Colombia, where drug dealers killed his partner Chico. As a result of Chico's death and years of dead end work, John retires and heads to his family's home in suburban Chicago. As John and his army buddy Max (Keith David) celebrate their reunion, a gunfight breaks out between local drug dealers and a Jamaican gang at the bar where they celebrate. The gang, known as the Jamaican Posse, is led by a notorious drug kingpin named Screwface (Basil Wallace). John arrests one of Screwface's henchmen as the gunfight ends. News that Posse crimes occurring in Chicago and across the United States spread as the Posse increases their crime and members. The next day, Screwface and his henchmen do a drive-by shooting on the house where John, his sister Melissa, and Melissa's 12-year-old daughter Tracey live. Tracey is hospitalized in critical condition. John comes out of retirement to join Max in hunting Screwface down, only to discover that Screwface has gone back to Jamaica. John and Max goes together to Jamaica with the Jamaican Chicago police officer Charles (Tom Wright) who has been trailing Screwface for five years, for an all out war against Screwface and his drug empire... What can you say? This is another classic standard Steven Seagal vehicle, but amongst his better ones in my eyes, despite all sorts of flaws. Let´s face it, he is not an A-grade actor, nor does he end up in cohesive and structured action flicks. This is old-school early 90's gritty violence and action with a thin plot line and not that much to show for. Yes, the main message can´t be mistaken, violence needs to be fought with even more violence, and that is questionable. However, the bad guys who are in the crosshair of Hatcher´s violence are not of the nicer kind. Some might see it as a moral dilemma, others not. Technically this is ok, and there´s some nice locations in Chicago & Jamaica. But, the entertaining value comes from Basil Wallace as Screwface who puts on a great over-the-top performance. "Marked for Death" was Seagal's third film coming after "Above the Law" (1988) & "Hard to Kill" (1990).

• Super Reviewer
    Dec 28, 2015

Ok it's Seagal, so I shouldn't need to say much here, except that somehow this one isn't as bad as it should be. It's strangely watchable. Probably the best Seagal I've seen. It's got all the usual Seagal elements; big bad guy, crime, Segal's unflappable bone breaking ways, someone who needs to be saved/protected, car chases, fist/gun fights, naked chicks, and explosions. This time though it somehow kinda works. It just rolls along and keeps delivering "the goods" as it were, in an economical, sure-footed straight-to -the-point sort of way. Or maybe the Voodoo's gotten to me?

• Oct 04, 2015

just watched this for the 100th time, this movie made me want dreadlocks so i waited 20 year later lol