Marley & Me: The Puppy Years - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marley & Me: The Puppy Years Reviews

½ March 26, 2015
Absolutely nonsense... I'm happy I rented it instead of purchasing. So disappointing. The original Marley was excellent!
½ November 18, 2014
What the heck happened? Marley can talk now? This movie is more for kids then the first one.
August 31, 2014
The only thing I like about it is the animals.
½ June 28, 2014
The tagline for this film is "The world's worst dog is back". Which, unless you focus on the phrase "worst dog" , is a complete lie.

Attempting to plunder a segment of the "Air Buddies" market, this film takes a recognised dog name and deflowers the concept. There is no connection to the original "Marley & Me" film beyond the name; and we are asked to ignore the fact that the puppy years were already dealt with in that film. Now Marley can talk, he has a different owner, and is entered in the kill-or-be-killed world of a local puppy training competition. Will and avoid this naughty dog stay focussed
and avoid trouble? No.

It is interesting to note a number of review sites that list some gentle name-calling and fart jokes as things to be aware of if you plan on showing this film to kids. What they don't seem to mention is the casual racism (Germans as the bad-guys, african-americans as inept jive talking service workers, the worst Australian accent ever spoken), or the cruelty to animals (shocked collars used to discipline etc). But post-colonial criticisms and PETA aside, we should not forget this film is for kids.

And you get what you expect. Nothing more. An adult audience will be able to predict the lines of dialogue before they are spoken for the entirety of the excruciating 90 minutes. The characters are two dimensional, the plot contains a number of non-sequiturs, as does the script. There is even a pie in the face gag, during the puppy show. Now I ask you, who is carrying around a cream pie in a dog show?

I was hoping for a dark turn at some point; where Marley would be forced to compete in an underground dog-fight to the death, but it never happened. I would have been happy with a leg-humping gag.

The half a star is for the Marley and Me rap song that plays in the credits, and for the thought that perhaps out there is someone who knows all the words.
May 12, 2014
at least u know he's not gonna die at the end of this movie
½ April 29, 2014
this movie is such bs, and extremely cheesy. It's a complete upset compared to Marley & me. Michael Damian, this movie sucked. I MEAN SUCKED.
September 8, 2013
what an adorable puppy!
August 13, 2013
Ahhh..Shoot, this movie is only for kids.
½ December 30, 2012
On the strength of the original, I watched this and was extremely disappointed
½ July 18, 2012
Sure, this is not a patch on the first movie.

The story was lacking, acting poor from most of the cast, however the movie wasn't as bad as I expected.

½ June 4, 2012
Entretenida, pero ┬┐Marley habla? Que fraude...
May 13, 2012
Another of My Favorite Films by Michael Damian! :) You Have to See this movie. :) It'll have you Laughing & Crying. :) It's Also a Wonderful Family Film. I Love this movie because its a Great film that Everyone could watch and not have to worry about anything that would be bad for kids to see. no Nudity, no Swearing, none of that Hollywood stuff that's in most films today. :)
½ April 27, 2012
Marley can talk now? Not what I expected at all. This movie lost my attention after 13 minutes.
April 26, 2012
This movie is in no way a sequel to Marley & Me it just basically steals the title & i hate when movies do that to try to market them better,But overall this film is just lousy the dog's talk which i didn't like & if your an adult you'll hate it but the little one's wont know better,I say SKIP IT!!!
March 28, 2012
While the puppies are always cute, and my kids liked it, terrible sequel/prequel.
½ February 4, 2012
funny and entertaining family movie. I like it.
½ January 27, 2012
Even as a kids movie this is bad as it gets.
½ January 26, 2012
I admit, I watched the entire movie but my fifteen month old girl watched the dogs run around for about five minutes and gave up.
½ January 8, 2012
This movie has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the original film... It's pretty corny!
½ January 5, 2012
this was horrible they ruined the image of the first one