Marooned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marooned Reviews

½ May 18, 2016
Filmed with the hype of the moon landing, Marooned is an average science fiction melodrama with very little science involved. Other than some nice cast, the film was fairly forgettable
February 16, 2016
Long and tedious, but it still manages to capture how one might feel marooned in space.
½ November 15, 2015
Marooned has a notable cast who don't play their best characters. Otherwise, there isn't much else here. The space story is well done, but it's hard to get around that space is slow and rather dull at times. The suspense works at first, but the movie becomes too depended on it. It's simply a uninteresting, well film.
½ September 13, 2015
The most boring film ever made! Dear God, it's unwatchable.
April 17, 2015
Great movie, one of my all time favorites. Of course I want to be an Outer Space Submariner when I was kid (talk about conundrum).
May 26, 2014
Suspenseful space-rescue film that could be considered a companion piece to "Gravity!" While that film was more action oriented, "Marooned" is about the characters and what they go through.

The performances are excellent throughout. And, the film builds the tension carefully and wisely as the stakes get higher as the film moves towards its conclusion.

The visual effects won an Oscar in 1969. They are no where near the level of 1968's "2001: A Space Odyssey," but that isn't a surprise, as effects never got back to that level until 1977 with "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."
½ March 29, 2014
A well made exciting movie. Great to watch even in 2014 inspite of the newer space movies like Gravity. Well edited and directed with a definite retro feel though.
½ January 26, 2014
Intense rescue scene.
January 4, 2014
My 2nd Xwife had more air than these guys.
½ January 2, 2014
foreshadows the "apollo 13" and is tense and suspensful sci-fi thriller
May 5, 2013
Who knew a movie about peril in space could be so boring! How does this have 100% on Rotten Tomatoes again? For some reason this film won an Oscar for special effects, even though they aren't even close to being as good as those in 2001: A Space Odessey, which came out over a year previous!
March 27, 2013
This film may have seemed more exciting when it first came out, but this story of astronauts stranded in space pales in comparison to the similar true-life story filmed in "Apollo 13". This film just felt stagey and dull. It almost, though not quite, comes off as a Towering Inferno-type of star-studded (Gregory Peck, Richard Crenna, David Janssen, James Franciscus, Gene Hackman, Lee Grant and Mariette Hartley) disaster film. Definitely a low point for director John Sturges.
March 23, 2013
Many of the reviews of this movie differ from mine (ie are WRONG). This movie is suspenseful and thoroughly entertaining. The movie centers on the people below (not above) and their furious efforts to save the astronauts above them. The fast action on the ground is contrasted with inaction of the helpless heroes stranded above. The conflict and material differences between the people below about how to proceed are the most interesting part of this film. I enjoyed and recommend this film.
½ March 21, 2013
I didn't like the way the end of the movie dragged on. But from a 2013 perspective I liked watching Peck, Jannsen, Fransiscus, Crenna and Hackman, and the way the Soviets got involved. I noticed on the capsule of the Soviet ship the letters CCP. I remember those days and the letters CCCP represent USSR. They left out a C on the capsule.
January 15, 2013
a fine example of how far we have come, how much we have lost in our evolution in technology and good old movie quality!!!
November 9, 2012
Marooned (AKA Space Travellers) is a space race film released in 1969 by John Sturges, who also directed film classics like The Great Escape, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and The Magnificent Seven. The film stars Gene Hackman, Richard Crenna and James Franciscus as three astronauts who are stuck in space when their engine breaks down and they're awaiting a rescue by NASA, which is headed up by Gregory Peck. Is the film good? Well, I'd say that it's just ok. It actually has some pretty good performances and gets emotional at some points, but there's almost no score and there are long patches of boringness. It's also a strange foreboding to what happened in reality with Apollo 13. The film they made about that particular incident was superior in every way, but this film is merely a snapshot of what could happen. It's science fiction-ish, I suppose, but overall, it's a less than mediocre film that really wants to be more than what it is. Surprisingly it was featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000, which is probably one of the better films ever shown on that show. They couldn't do much with it, but they did try their best, I guess.
June 21, 2012
"Marooned" is not a film for everyone; it is space science fiction filmed in 1969, which already says a lot. I had seen this film on television many years before and enough details from the adventure stayed in my memory to enable me to re-discover it. Due to today's highly advanced film production techniques, the attempts to re-create a believable and convincing space setting here have clumsy, at times laughable, results. Still, the actors involved do not acknowledge the film's silly technical limitations and play their roles convincingly, which helps to look past any visual flaws. The storyline is interesting, as three astronauts are, well, marooned in orbit, the mundane NASA makes plans to attempt a proper, yet risky, rescue mission. The protagonists' role in the film is mostly based on their patience and long hours of waiting, which is why the film is not action-packed and progresses rather slowly, which at times, I admit, was tedious. Tension builds as time starts to run out and the NASA director informs the men that they're carrying enough oxygen to ensure the survival of two of the astronauts, but not three. It is up to them to decide who will live. Though the film is carried through realistically (in terms of story), the entertainment is often lacking. Better directing might have reduced this two-hours-and-nine-minutes film into a more watchable one-hour-and-forty-minutes.
½ June 19, 2012
Tuesday, June 19, 2012

(1969) Marooned
SCIENCE-FICTION/ DRAMA

That's basically all it is, is astronauts being marooned up at space which is so uneffective and dull in comparison to "Apollo 13" and "The Right Stuff"- this film can put anyone to sleep with all the pointless blah, blah, blahing. Won an Oscar for special effects competing with!!!!!!!!

1 out of 4
January 25, 2012
When I first saw 'Marooned' I sat down frozen while not knowing this was actually a dramatic thriller - in space. Like '2001' the story was too slow for me, though there is no moving orchestral music to listen to here. Nevertheless, the story of a rescue mission in space is an appealing one, a disaster to deal with and would remind me of the real-life 'Apollo 13' mission a year later.