Marooned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marooned Reviews

August 22, 2017
Some astronauts get stranded in orbit and almost suffocate.
July 16, 2017
This is the first movie I ever saw in a theater; I was six, and it was at the height of the space race. It is still one of my all time favorite movies.
½ June 9, 2017
Snoozefest. Gets a bit more interesting in the final 30 min or so but much too late for me to care.
March 14, 2017
Kind of like 'Apollo 13' but before that even happened, this goes heavy on the technical and the dramatic tension suffers as a result. For such a heavy hitting cast hardly any of them are given much to work with. Functional basically.
½ May 18, 2016
Filmed with the hype of the moon landing, Marooned is an average science fiction melodrama with very little science involved. Other than some nice cast, the film was fairly forgettable
February 16, 2016
Long and tedious, but it still manages to capture how one might feel marooned in space.
½ November 15, 2015
Marooned has a notable cast who don't play their best characters. Otherwise, there isn't much else here. The space story is well done, but it's hard to get around that space is slow and rather dull at times. The suspense works at first, but the movie becomes too depended on it. It's simply a uninteresting, well film.
½ September 13, 2015
The most boring film ever made! Dear God, it's unwatchable.
April 17, 2015
Great movie, one of my all time favorites. Of course I want to be an Outer Space Submariner when I was kid (talk about conundrum).
May 26, 2014
Suspenseful space-rescue film that could be considered a companion piece to "Gravity!" While that film was more action oriented, "Marooned" is about the characters and what they go through.

The performances are excellent throughout. And, the film builds the tension carefully and wisely as the stakes get higher as the film moves towards its conclusion.

The visual effects won an Oscar in 1969. They are no where near the level of 1968's "2001: A Space Odyssey," but that isn't a surprise, as effects never got back to that level until 1977 with "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."
½ March 29, 2014
A well made exciting movie. Great to watch even in 2014 inspite of the newer space movies like Gravity. Well edited and directed with a definite retro feel though.
½ January 26, 2014
Intense rescue scene.
January 4, 2014
My 2nd Xwife had more air than these guys.
½ January 2, 2014
foreshadows the "apollo 13" and is tense and suspensful sci-fi thriller
May 5, 2013
Who knew a movie about peril in space could be so boring! How does this have 100% on Rotten Tomatoes again? For some reason this film won an Oscar for special effects, even though they aren't even close to being as good as those in 2001: A Space Odessey, which came out over a year previous!
March 27, 2013
This film may have seemed more exciting when it first came out, but this story of astronauts stranded in space pales in comparison to the similar true-life story filmed in "Apollo 13". This film just felt stagey and dull. It almost, though not quite, comes off as a Towering Inferno-type of star-studded (Gregory Peck, Richard Crenna, David Janssen, James Franciscus, Gene Hackman, Lee Grant and Mariette Hartley) disaster film. Definitely a low point for director John Sturges.
March 23, 2013
Many of the reviews of this movie differ from mine (ie are WRONG). This movie is suspenseful and thoroughly entertaining. The movie centers on the people below (not above) and their furious efforts to save the astronauts above them. The fast action on the ground is contrasted with inaction of the helpless heroes stranded above. The conflict and material differences between the people below about how to proceed are the most interesting part of this film. I enjoyed and recommend this film.
½ March 21, 2013
I didn't like the way the end of the movie dragged on. But from a 2013 perspective I liked watching Peck, Jannsen, Fransiscus, Crenna and Hackman, and the way the Soviets got involved. I noticed on the capsule of the Soviet ship the letters CCP. I remember those days and the letters CCCP represent USSR. They left out a C on the capsule.
January 15, 2013
a fine example of how far we have come, how much we have lost in our evolution in technology and good old movie quality!!!