Marooned Reviews

• Aug 01, 2019

I saw it when this first came out in Huntsville, Alabama (my Dad worked on the IU - a part of the Saturn V). It created a lasting memory - as it did for the Director Alfonso Cuarón who makes multiple references to it in Roma. Looking at it 50 years later I can see why I loved it then, and why I like it still all these years later. Ironically the plot anticipates Apollo 13 in some ways. It is not a perfect movie and not for everyone - but it still works after all of these years.

• May 10, 2019

A slow burning great film with an all star cast. Made around the time of the moon landings, you can imagine the impact this must have had at the time. I first watched this about 35 years ago and it has lost none of its power. Played deadly straight, this is a masterclass in storytelling.

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Mar 03, 2019

The film never really launches off as it's paced at zero gravity. Sturges chooses not to use music to enhance dramatic points. Adding to the missed landing is the filmmakers' failing to orbit the storyline around the relationships between the astronauts and their suffering wives. Nonetheless, it's an interesting film if you'd like to see the movie that inspired Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity.

• Mar 02, 2019

Great story and depiction.

Great story and depiction.

• Mar 02, 2019

A suspense thriller set in space, Marooned is the plight of a base commander (Gregory Peck) trying to get three astronauts (Gene Hackman, Richard Crenna, and James Franciscus) back to earth when their mission fails. An Oscar-winner for "Best Special Visual Effects," the film also picked up nominations for "Best Cinematography" and "Best Sound." It was later retitled Space Travelers. Great for fans of science fiction; others need not apply. This film is a slow burn that pays off the viewer by the decent script and the All - Star cast . This creepingly slow space drama was mainly conceived, I'd posit, as a showcase for the acting talents of the four leads: we're treated to Hackman, Crenna and Franciscus playing the astronaut trio trapped in space, and Peck as the no-nonsense controller back on the ground whose attempts to return them to Earth make up the bulk of the running time. The film stands on its own very credibly with a great storyline which leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to see what is going to happen to the astronauts trapped in outer space. This film even won an Oscar for Special visual effects. The NASA scenes were done so well that I felt like I was watching something that was really happening. Marooned my be flawed ... and yet it really draws you in.

• Jan 04, 2018

great movie, one of the best from 69

great movie, one of the best from 69

• Aug 22, 2017

Some astronauts get stranded in orbit and almost suffocate.

Some astronauts get stranded in orbit and almost suffocate.

• Jul 16, 2017

This is the first movie I ever saw in a theater; I was six, and it was at the height of the space race. It is still one of my all time favorite movies.

• Jun 09, 2017

Snoozefest. Gets a bit more interesting in the final 30 min or so but much too late for me to care.

• Mar 14, 2017

Kind of like 'Apollo 13' but before that even happened, this goes heavy on the technical and the dramatic tension suffers as a result. For such a heavy hitting cast hardly any of them are given much to work with. Functional basically.