Marriage Italian Style - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marriage Italian Style Reviews

May 10, 2012
Absolutely wonderful movie, with laughs, romance, sad stuff, suspense, everything you could ask for. And great cinematography and acting and blah blah blah. Just see it. Sophia Loren is brilliant. Hugely underrated actress. And De Sica is a genius.
½ March 16, 2012
A tragic comedy that only can be Italian. Loren is superb as the prostitute turned .................. erm, personal mistress? Marcello Mastroianni as the ever suffering Domenico puts in a great performance. Another fine De Sica Neapolitan fairytale.
December 13, 2011
2: This one just didn't work for me and not just because of Loren. I just wasn't terribly engaged in the story. The fractured timeline and plot seemed a little hackneyed to me as well. Many directors working today seem to have gotten this trick down, which just makes this earlier attempt that much more abrasive.
August 25, 2011
The film employs a tremendously perky rhythm and register to showcase the traits of the earthly Italy at its post-war development, even though essentially the overwrought kernel of a prostitute's tribulations could hardly appropriate as a comedy material.

Vittorio De Sica's camera enigmatically haunts and pivots around two leads' present and past, the intangible love/hate chaos is disarmingly intriguing and subconsciously imbues the audience with a fervent compassion towards Sophia Loren's unswerving while passionate Filumena. The leading performance is worth of much accolade, especially for Sophia Loren, whose full-brown force of personality spanning over 20 years in the film and undisputedly devotes a magnificent performance with all her zest and vigor. Marcello Mastroianni, is great as well, to hone up his versatility and render the womanizer an ambiguous moral criterion which is a more delicate task.

I cannot help being fascinated by the exquisite script as well, credited by five names, no wonder all the twists and turns are so fruitful in a way that both surprising and amusing. Nominated for 2 Oscars (BEST FOREIGN FILM and a second BEST ACTRESS nomination for Loren) and is a milestone which not only represents Loren's heyday but also is a comforting fruition of Loren-Conti correlation. Maybe it is not director De Sica's best canon due to its slight superficiality of machismo, which I sense may not be the director's fault as it is a general bias lies in all over the globe. Anyway, the film itself surely is a fine piece captures a genuine Italian aura (the Naples' style) and definitely worth your pocket.
½ August 18, 2011
"Matrimonio all'italiana" is one seriously underrated foreign film. Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni are obviously the most talented and most celebrated Italian actors of all time, and though this was my first time viewing them together on the big screen, and out of their many pairings, it's a treat. Domenico (Mastroianni) and Filumenna (Loren) have been together for almost twenty-two years, and the relationship is suddenly stopped when Domenico decides to marry somebody else. In a desperate attempt, Filumenna pretends to be on her deathbed so he will marry her. It works, but Domenico isn't happy. "Matrimonio all'italiana" is one of the many films that paired up Loren with masterful director Vittorio de Sica. I have always thought of him as "her director" because it seems like all of her best films he directed. One of those cases settles here. I was expecting this to just be a lighthearted, funny, Italian rom-com, but oddly enough I didn't get that. OK, sure, the first half is, but after that, no. The first half is just flashbacks, and when the present sets in, that when some super dramatic, tear-jearking stuff comes along. The first hour I was thinking, "Sophia got nominated for this?" but clearly I was not far enough into the movie. Actresses can play middle-aged with makeup and a creaky voice, but this time Loren steps into the role and is very very good, thus giving a totally deserved Oscar nod, and Mastroianni deserves his Golden Globe nomination too. Their performances are moving, and when their characters go through a huge transformation from selfish to selfless, they pull it off effortlessly. We get the best of the actors and the director here, a very good script, and a good view of Italy. What's not to like? "Matrimonio all'italiana" is a good film to see on Instant Watch. Highly recommended.
½ August 14, 2011
Mastroianni & Loren.that´s it
July 30, 2011
Its triple delight when Director of Bicycle Thief, Italy's finest Actor Marcello Mastroianni & ever sensous Sophia Loren make a film together. This is one of the finest in all their careers. Its about a womanizer who keeps on and off relationship with a prostitute, when the lady finally takes a decision to change the course of both their lives. Its light hearted comedy with drama sprinkled throughout.
½ July 22, 2011
Very nice movie, Now I know Sophia Loren was not only stunning but a great actress too.
May 28, 2011
De Sica steps away from the neorealist films for which he's most famous, and he still comes up with a delightful drama laced with comedy. Loren and Mastroianni are both wonderful in this tale of love beyond explanation.
March 1, 2011
buenisima pelicula!! muy recomendable
November 11, 2010
un classico che non avevo mai visto interamente, scene e dialoghi intensi tra legerezza e commozione napoletane. Uno spaccato sociale che non esiste più
November 7, 2010
A lovely, but yet a to complicated plot. I must say that Sophia Loren is more sexier than ever.
½ October 29, 2010
still can't see the appeal of the screen siren, Loren... my bad... :p
it's otherwise a rather lame story...
October 29, 2010
Mastroianni is a dead-ringer for Rhett Butler. This comedic italian classic captures much of the essence of european filmmaking of the time, and can be quite entertaining if you can get past being terrified of the loud venomous spats emanating from the (justifiably) vicious viper loren. i had to close my ears after 2 minutes (like many-an-italian-bloke, i bet). :) the youngest boy steals the show though.
April 28, 2010
The Italian style marriage seems to be quite complicated to say the least. And I'm currently too distracted to think of anything to say about this film so I'll just... babble, apparently. It was interesting.
March 21, 2010
It's hard not to like this Neapolitan trio! Mastroianni is delightful as a womanizer, yet once again unmanned by the indomitable Loren. Pure comedy, Italian style.
January 28, 2010
Very Italian. Simply just love it with great casts.
½ November 4, 2009
Una joya para pasar una buena tarde en casa!
½ September 7, 2009
retrato tpico do tipo de relacionamento homem-mulher vigente at hoje quando uma das partes ama demais. o mastroianni chega a estar asqueroso no papel de um cara que no d valor pra sua senhora e que s o faz quando v que ela o centro de sua vida e matrona perptua das razes que ele deixa no mundo. comdia mais que dramtica.