The Marsh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Marsh Reviews

½ October 25, 2015
Your typical paranormal supernatural film about unsettled spirits. It took forever to get to to that point in the film. You never really do get to know each character. This one is a slasher, so there's a very small body count and nobody really knows who is killing who. It's okay, better than HiC 2, but not 1.
June 3, 2015
Terrible. TERRIBLE. One of the worst main characters for a horror film I've ever seen. Any scene she was in was so boring I would start to get drowsy from hearing her whispery voice. The movie wasted no time bringing in the chills and spooky imagery except, oh yeah, without any buildup or introduction to our characters, every single one fell flat save an instance when a woman turns around slowly and realizes her giant horse had somehow gotten out and snuck up behind her, breathing heavily and looking all whale-eyed. That was kinda freaky. But the rest of the movie was pretty much a snorefest. Wikipedia didn't even give it a proper entry. Was this direct to DVD? Bleh.
½ March 11, 2014
(42%)
A slightly above average horror elevated by decent performances and a directer that at least tried to make an appealing movie. It is very generic and forgettable though and is not a must watch by any means.
October 30, 2013
nothing special but nothing overly bad either
August 22, 2013
This sounds just plain awful. Pass.
April 15, 2013
I only gave it one star because it was boring. It was extremely slow moving. The star was because Forest Whitaker was in it.
September 30, 2012
Creepy! Lots of Twists. Very Good
September 6, 2012
A pleasing concept with a couple of sufficient scares but Jordan Barker doesn't execute it as well as I would have hoped.
June 25, 2012
semi-predictable and standard ghost story, but entertaining all the same!
June 25, 2012
Very interesting movie
May 19, 2012
Rote and flat to a fault. Nothing new and doesn't do the old that well either.
May 3, 2012
Hey movie, could you move a little slower? I think five lines of dialogue in the first 15 minutes is just waaay too much. Can we show the protagonist staring off into the distance a bit more, please? And can we give the characters all faint, untraceable accents? We can? Then in the words of Patrick Stewart, make it so! Honestly, I'm not ashamed of how many times I zoned out during the first half an hour. I gave up after 40 minutes, during which only about three minutes of plot development occured. I give this film a 1/2 star for total failure to hold my attention, but +1/2 because for all I know, the movie got a lot better after that. I have no desire to find out, however.
½ April 10, 2012
a weird but a twist of an ending makes this a good movie
½ March 1, 2012
Thursday, March 1, 2012

(2006) The Marsh
HORROR

Straight to rental film that involves children book author Claire (Gabriel Anwar) who while receiving treatment because of the constant nightmares whenever she goes to sleep, involving a little girl running through the swamp, stumbles onto a house renting flier which happens to be the exact same house as the one in her dreams decides to go and rent it for the purpose of retracting and making sense of her repeated nightmare!

The movie starts out interesting but gets worst as the film progresses as it becomes a conventional, convoluted horror story since there's a lack of police presence throughout, it's like a ghost story on a lawless town! It could've been good but ends up asking more questions!

1 out of 4

2 out of 4
December 28, 2011
Out of the dozens of horror movies I have seen this year this low budget film is probably the one I enjoyed the most. It is your typical ghost story movie which has some thrills scattered throughout the movie and which looks for a suprise ending by revealing to us why the ghost is seeking vengeance. So why did I enjoy this one more than all the other horror flicks? I think it has to due in most part to Forest Whitaker who plays a paranormal consultant who tries to explain why these things are happening. His on screen presence is what helps make this movie more believable and his character provides some sort of knowledge of that which is a mystery too us. The main character played by Gabrielle Anwar is also a decent act and is not your typical scared chic, she is in search of the truth and is willing to face her fears in order to unlock the mystery. I thought this was an overall decent movie and is a bit above the average of other scary movies with much higher budgets.
½ October 11, 2011
Scary enough to put you to sleep.
½ September 11, 2011
An entertaining diversion of a psychological thriller, but not offering much to warrant repeat viewings.
½ July 21, 2011
What could have been a fair ghost story was spoiled by an over-reliance on bombastic special effects. The repressed memory angle also made the whole plot somewhat dubious.
½ May 22, 2011
The male ghost was scary!