Martian Child - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Martian Child Reviews

February 6, 2013
This is an incredibly safe movie and role for Cusack to take on. That said it is extremely appealing and likeable despite being quite predictable. It does tread on some familiar territory but ultimately sells itself as a family friendly flick with real heart and meaning. Will I watch it again though? Not a chance.
February 4, 2013
Been watching John Cusack flicks since the 1980's...this one's no slouch.
January 22, 2013
Only good thing is the family being played by a family. Otherwise, just junk.
½ December 23, 2012
great movie, great moral to it n sad with a happy ending
December 7, 2012
An out of the blue gem. This one barely made a ripple in theaters, which is certainly not telling of its quality. What we have here is an unusual, but touching film of a widower adopting a young boy who has never known what it is to have a caring family. The movie does a fantastic job at allowing you to relate to both characters and digs deep. It also makes a strong case for adopting, which I appreciated.
½ November 28, 2012
This was a truly beautiful movie. Cusack and Cusack together again for more drama and laughs. I am so glad the little child was not really a martian and that he didn't pull a K-Pax!
½ September 28, 2012
Cute movie of love and patience. Not a whole lot of plot details, but for my third straight movie that was probably a good thing
½ September 24, 2012
I remember this movie being really good. Maybe I should rewatch it.
September 8, 2012
I can relate, and a great soundtrack too.
½ September 5, 2012
In consistent with too many plot holes.

Director Meyjes' film boasts impressively strong performances but is hampered by a bipolar script that bounces from touching to treacly and back again and dialogue that's sometimes way too obvious. "Just be yourself," David constantly tells Dennis when, in reality, he expects his son to fall in line with the new world order.
August 26, 2012
I recommend this obscenely sappy movie to 44-year old Christian moms.
½ August 14, 2012
What can I say? I'm a sucker for tear jerkers.
½ August 6, 2012
When an eccentric writer adopts a child that believes he is from Mars a journey into the psyche of both individuals follows. Adorable story and characters. Worth a rent.
July 28, 2012
hate romantic dramas..make me puke.
½ July 16, 2012
I was expecting High Fidelity John Cusack and instead I got American Sweethearts John Cusack! Not one of his better performances. I also think that the writer/director decided to make a play at peoples hearts instead of coming up with good dialog/acting! By the way Child Services would never give a single Man a child...NEVER!!!
July 16, 2012
awwww that is the cute movie the poor kid
½ July 15, 2012
One of the rare cases in which the emotional manipulation actually worked on me - most likely because of the performances.
July 10, 2012
The only overt emotional manipulation that I perceived was the somewhat hokey ending. Definitely the ending was played for effect and is somewhat jarring. It seems tacked on rather than integrated to the rest of the film. I think the same idea could have been communicated without the somewhat silly melodrama. Otherwise, the movie is excellent with some great acting.
½ July 4, 2012
so heart warming- John Cusack is still one of my favorite people ever- always choosing the loving eclectic- this kid is adorable- makes a hard argument for adoption because really how can you argue against loving a child that is already in this world?