Mary and The Witch's Flower Reviews

• May 09, 2019

great story from the Studio Ghibli new series.

great story from the Studio Ghibli new series.

• Mar 05, 2019

So near perfect. I was so gripped throughout. Everything about it is top-notch. The only complaint I have is that Mary And Peter go from sort of rivals to BFFS to quickly.

• Feb 06, 2019

i don't usually like these type of 1 off anime movies but the animation of this was well done. the voice acting of the English version was outstanding.

• Jan 30, 2019

Take Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky and mash them together.

Take Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky and mash them together.

• Jan 05, 2019

It was predictable which I didn’t like. It was a very sweet movie and heart warming. I really wanted to love this movie, but they just made the story line too obvious.

• Dec 19, 2018

I really enjoyed this movie on boxxy software I thought it was great.

I really enjoyed this movie on boxxy software I thought it was great.

• Dec 07, 2018

A shameless and talentless rip-off of Studio Ghibli. The story is clichï¿ 1/2 (C) and predictable at best, and the characters and their motives are laughable. The world itself seems very poorly thought through, being derivative not only in an obvious way, but in a way that actually undermines the story itself and the rules it presents. Truth be told, it's only quote as awful as I'm making it out to be if you compare it to a Studio Ghibli movie. If you think of it as just a kids movie - with no depth or greater meaning to anything that goes on - then it's probably just fine. It has beautiful animation, after all. And if you're showing it to your child, they're not likely to pick apart the characters motives or the plausability of the world itself, and will likely enjoy it simply for the pretty effects and mildly wholesome story aspects. But I've got to say, my brother and I have been lifelong Ghibli fans, and we couldn't stop finding aspects to criticize for a single minute out of the nearly 2hr long movie. My favourite part - without a shadow of a doubt - was the epilogue. There was a whole minute or two of wholesome animation undercut by a beautiful song, in which there was no diologue, followed by credits in which the song continued. In summation, it was a complete and utter waste of nearly two hours.

• Nov 30, 2018

I didnt particularly like nor dislike this movie. The story wasn't particularly interesting to me, definitely aimed more at children. The film was very well animated and clear and easy to follow, just really not my type of film.

• Nov 28, 2018

It was entertaining. But it has such a huge buildup to something that ended up being average.

• Nov 19, 2018

So recently I saw Mary and the Witch's Flower and it was... decent. This is definitely one of those films where even among those interested in anime as a medium will be divided as to whether or not this is a good film or not. It definitely has good qualities to it, but for every positive this movie has, there is a corresponding negative. The performances were good I suppose, the cinema I saw this movie at played the English dubbed version and so there were well known western actors filling in the roles, Kate Winslet was easily the standout and Jim Broadbent was fun as usual, other than that the movie felt really stale. The main character was really unlikeable, the plot was at times super predictable and at times super confusing, and not in a good way. Some of the plot threads donâ(TM)t even make any sense; so weâ(TM)re supposed to believe that inside a book of spells there is listed a spell that can remove all magic spells (notice I said âremovesâ? and not âundoesâ?) and they say it and all the magic is removed, except the magic taxi people still move, and the Headmistress can still fly, and Mary can still fly on her broomstick. Also if youâ(TM)re going to use a spell that removes magic then doesnâ(TM)t that in itself cancel itself out thereby creating a paradox? There are so many inconsistencies that arise when you write a script that doesnâ(TM)t explain the rules of your universe. This had the potential to be a really amazing start to the studioâ(TM)s pantheon, but instead this was a beautiful looking disappointment, I only hope that they improve their products in the future⦠and Iâ(TM)m giving this one a 5/10.