Mary and The Witch's Flower Reviews

• Jul 12, 2020

With the looks of a ghibli movie, the capacity to make you want to live in that place, to be able to walk those corridors such full of colors and amazing stuff happening. Even tought is not on par in story impact as ghibli and specially Miyazakis bests it is still a joy that this exists. Last 20 minutes are not that fullfilling, pretty standard. Rounding up because of School walkthrough

• May 10, 2020

The abundance of positive reviews from both critics and audiences inspired me to suggest this film for a relaxed evening with my housemates. It did not live up to those expectations, alas. It wasn't terrible, but I wish I had chosen a different movie. I'm honestly bewildered at the effusive praise. The artwork is beautiful, yes. But the characters too simple and devoid of personality to make us care about them, the world-building is incoherent, and worst of all, the characters constantly and awkwardly explain things out loud. There is no sense of mystery, discovery, or suspense; strange things just happen and then are abruptly accepted without a realistic emotional response. Halfway through the film I considered going to bed because I did not feel compelled at all to find out what would happen next.

• May 07, 2020

It gets to be too much on the predictable side, but it is respectable and works better as a children's fantasy. The young will be tickled with whimsical joy from "…the Witch's Flower".
That said, teens and adults can enjoy the beautifully fluid and expressive animation/art.

• May 06, 2020

While I know that the film is from Studio Ponoc and it is not technically a Studio Ghibli film, I am just going to refer to it as a Ghibli film. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. With former Studio Ghibli lead film producer Yoshiaki Nishimura as a producer and former Ghibli animator Hiromasa Yonebayashi as director Mary and the Witches' Flower is able to hit that Studio Ghibli feeling right on the adorable little mark. The film is brimming with all your favorite Ghibli-isms. With its insecure young female protagonist, animal sidekick, inventive magic, remarkable architecture, and heartwarming story, it is yet another whimsy pumped adventure to fall in love with. The animation is as thoroughly breathtaking as usual with its incredible landscapes and exquisite detail. The plot does hit all the expected beats right on schedule, but the film always remains fun and exciting. ———– Overall: While it doesn't rank amongst the best in the Ghibli catalog, Mary and the Witches' Flower is a wonderfully lighthearted animated film from the folks who do it best. —————–Highlight: All of Mary's adorable(and relatable) moments of constant insecurity are a joy to see.

• Apr 16, 2020

Absolutely brilliant film. Definitely will be going out to buy the dvd & the book. 10/10

• Apr 16, 2020

another anime movie taking from the reins of Studio Ghibli it's another story of a young girl becoming a witch but the difference here is that she doesn't realize there's a huge world of magic hidden from the human eye Mary stumbles upon a magic flower that grows only 7 years and once she bonds with a broom along with a black cat she's transported to a school in the clouds for upcoming witches think of it like 'Harry Potter' meets 'Kiki's Delivery Service' as per usual the animation is beyond gorgeous throughout the whole thing; the story doesn't really have too many surprises but it's nice seeing this young girl adapt to a new environment there's also debatable conversations about whether magic is necessary to make breakthroughs in nature and science, if it's too dangerous or our ambition reaches too high, and whether or not we actually need magic to succeed Mary is such a lovable character with her red hair and the many different forms of magical elements she has to face good or bad the film itself doesn't gain originality for its storytelling but it's a fantastic feast for the eyes as well as the fantasy element

• Apr 15, 2020

Based on the book 'The Little Broomstick' by Mary Stewart from 1971 this anime film is produced by the somewhat newly formed Studio Ponoc which was founded by ex Studio Ghibli producer Yoshiaki Nishimura. It really shows as this film has a lot of the Studio Ghibli feel to it. Not just with the animation style, but also the story telling. This one doesn't quite hit the mark for me, but I still enjoyed it. Directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi (The Secret World of Arrietty (2010), When Marnie Was There (2014)) this film is something I would describe if Harry Potter got an anime movie. We follow a young girl named Mary (Ruby Barnhill) who discovers a broom in the forest one day. After touching a flower known as the fly by night flower it causes magic to happen and the broom comes alive. The broom brings Mary to a school called Endor College where witches learn how to harness their powers. Mary meets the school head mistress Madam Mumblechook (Kate Winslet) as well as one of the professors known a Doctor Dee (Jim Broadbent). Mary thinks all is well until she mentions that the fly by night flower gave her the powers. Soon enough it's shown that Madam Mumblechook and Doctor Dee are hiding some very dark secrets. Like I said previously I enjoyed this one. The animation is top notch and it's a movie that doesn't overstay it's welcome with some really solid pacing here. Mary though falls a bit flat for me and I just wish she had a bit more of challenge in this one. She's likeable, but she's very much the same person by the end of the movie. For anime fans and even fans of Studio Ghibli I would highly recommend checking this one out regardless it's definitely worth a watch.

• Mar 25, 2020

Wonderful and fantastic.

Wonderful and fantastic.

• Feb 07, 2020

This was cute. Unexpected.

This was cute. Unexpected.

• Jan 31, 2020

This movie fail to captivate me and bring me into its fantastical world. The artwork is spot on, the magic just is not there. (even thought there is magic in the film)