Mary Magdalene - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Magdalene Reviews

½ November 12, 2018
An alternative version of life of Jesus Christ, focusing from the feminist point of view: the old story about Mary Magdalene had the right message, but it was tergiversed by initial church -that is, Apostle man (it is strange to think why Jesus chose them, if they were going to malinterpretate him). It also offers a good explanation about Judas. Anyway, the movie will not get a place in History, even though there is not much more interesting about the life of Jesus in cinema.
October 17, 2018
Exquisite film on so many levels
Incredible woman
Excellent cinematography
10/10
½ September 13, 2018
For a film about Mary Magdalene, there is sadly too much here about Jesus Christ and "God's design" and not enough about herself, as she becomes little more than a passive spectator in a story that poorly tries to depict life as a woman in such a strongly patriarchal society.
½ September 3, 2018
A sluggishly paced, largely dialogue free account of Jesus's female disciple meeting the messiah, following him around and looking mildly peeved when he's put to death. The film has a fantastic aesthetic, with the camera work and cinematography creating areas which are sparse and lifeless or bustling and chaotic, depending on the needs of the film. The music can be pretty haunting too. But the story itself is not worthy of these significant advantages. The movie is painfully slow, with the glacial camera movements enhancing the atmosphere but completely ruining the pace. Characters meander from pace to place, not doing very much and saying even less. Jesus mumbles a series of not very inspiring sermons and the crowd shuffle off as if they meant nothing. Joaquin Phoenix certainly looks the part, but his performance does nothing to stand out from the wealth of men who have played the Son of God in the past. As controversial as The Passion Of The Christ was, at least it had a grand feel to, and Jim Caviezel's pain and anguish was convincingly portrayed. But the film's biggest failure is that it never makes its title character feel like an important part of the story. She could have been cut out altogether and the plot would go on unaffected. Rooney Mara's a talented actress, but here she spends the entire film much like everyone else does: Wandering around a beautiful wilderness, staring off into the distance. It's more like a Middle Eastern rendition of the Twilight Saga than a retelling of the greatest story ever told. It would have made more sense to call the film Judas Iscariot and cover that characters conflicted feelings up to and after the world's most famous betrayal. Instead we have a passive character who only has any real input in the last 10 minutes, but which time I guarantee you'll be far too bored to care.
August 3, 2018
I really ENJOYED THE FILM AND UNDERSTAND THE MEANING BEHIND IT BECAUSE of I READ AND LISTEN TO DOCUMENTARIES ABOUT mARY mAGDALENE AND THE LOST GOSPELS. i DO FEEL THAT THE MOVIE REVEAL AND TALKS ABOUT THE CONFLICTS THAT mARY FACED IN HER LIFE IN NOT SO MUCH DETAILS.
½ July 29, 2018
Awful! Just Awful movie! Mary was not present at the last supper. I have found nothing in the Bible that even hints that Mary was anything but a follower of Jesus, and nothing in the Bible that indicates that Jesus was "involved" with her, or that any of the apostles were. Not worth watching and was a waist of my time. My husband and I were very disappointed with this movie and the way it was portrayed.
July 22, 2018
Toda una curiosidad ver a Phoenix como Jesucristo.
July 21, 2018
Engrossing, moving and we'll rooted in contemporary scholarship. Given the character of reviews in the media, I wonder if this may become our generation's 'It's a Wonderful Life', largely ignored on initial release, but destined to become a beloved classic. We may just have to catch up with this one.
½ July 12, 2018
The movie is as awful as it is inaccurate. In the movie Mary seemed like some desperate slut chasing after a group of men. Then when they come to a city and "John the Baptist" is talking to the women, he encourages them to disobey & defy their husbands and fathers. This is not the right way...in Ephesians 5:22-24 it tells women "wives, obey your husbands as you obey the Lord." The only thought this makes me provoke is that Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute, she was just a slut because at least prostitutes get paid. That is the way this film portrays her. They need to find the person that chopped down the tree that they used to make the paper on which they wrote this script and slap the hell out of him. Also, why did they have to whitewash history again? The middle east is not full of white people. Also, the people of this time and place were hebrews and it is historical fact that hebrews were people of color.
July 8, 2018
Sad to see the bible is still being WHITE WASHED .. YOU DID ADD SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE FROM THE TRIBE OF JUDA .IM JUST WAITING ON A MOVIE THAT SHOWS WHO AFRICAN PEOLE REALLY ARE WE ARE THE TRIBE OF JUDAH WE ARE THE ORGINAL ISRAELITES.. ATLEAST USE PEOPLE OF COLOR ..
OH AN EGYPT WAS ALL BLACK ITS PART OF AFRICA MARY WAS GREEK NOT EUROPEAN .. SHE WAS FROM Benjamite Tribe.. AND THE MAN YOU CALL JESUS WAS ALSO AFRICAN FROM THE GREAT TRIBE OF JUDA .. ETHIOPIA IS IN AFRICAN .

DONT WATCH THIS CRAP
½ July 3, 2018
Not historically or biblically accurate. A very bad attempt and not the best acting either.
½ June 29, 2018
Absolutely awful, but for a very, and i mean very few moments of emmotion.
the Jerusalem entry was handled so badly, the temple scene was awful.
did they actually read the gospels?
absolutely no feeling of the spirit of christ.
it did sort of convey Mary's closeness to christ, and their spiritual intimacy a bit.
it didnt seem to grasp how many women travelled with his followers, or were poqwerful supporters, finacially and in other ways of his mission.
and phoenix really just comes across as a nut job. no sense of the gentle, calm, whole, jesus. entirelyt missed how he always pointed at god. missed so much that made him what he was in the real world, which makes mary's faith in him seem misplaced. the judas guy just seemed like a looney too. again whoever wrote this did not do their homework either via gospels, nor research into what was going on at the time enough.
on the temple again, they didnt seem to get what jesus was offended by there: the traders had a scam running with the money lenders and temple officials in that poor folk, who'd travelled miles and put all their finances into this annual festival (passover) would have brought their best goat or lamb with them for sacrifice, and would always be told it wasn't kosher enough, so would, being skint, be told they'd have to borrow from the lenders, and so on. a real racket parraler to how to poor are still exploted and abused today! a point which would have been pertinant today. but maybe the writers were too cowardly to convey it in it's real sense?
a big let down indeed
½ June 26, 2018
The star of this essentially boring film is the metres upon metres of beige cloth, reams and reams of it, enough that it smothers most of the sparse dialogue. JP does not even slightly convince as JC. JC died in his late 20s, JP is in his early 40s, and could pass for his 50s here. What we have is a strangely weak/high-voiced American Jesus, being constantly in the wordless adoring gaze of Mary M. And everything is just so beige, believe me. Wall-to-wall beigeness set to a painfully slow melancholy score - you end up wanting to slit your wrists. But don't do that, don't waste your life's blood, go and view a different film, anything will be more engaging than this!
April 16, 2018
Beautifully shot, amazing sceneries, magnificent, spellbinding performances by both Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix. Truly gripping. It´s a mythical journey into a world that - we tend to forget, has almost always been very patriarchal, and takes a fresh perspective on a story we think we all know by heart.
April 14, 2018
Beautiful... Jesus is a feminist. This film is not about speaking to Christians or non Christians or non faith people. This film is not about evangelism or following the bible to each exact letter. And if you're disappointed that you know what the ending might be, this probably isn't for you either. This is Mary's story, her version. It's about allowing women to be women and not telling them what they should be. If a viewer perceives this viewpoint any other way, like some of the other apostles in the film, you've missed the point. Jesus brings freedom, dignity and a deep love. He was a feminist then and he's a feminist now. Wonderful portrayal.
½ April 2, 2018
This is the most inaccurate account of the Bible! I highly suggest you read your Word and stay clear of this movie!
April 2, 2018
Evocative and haunting. A film to see again, with the sub-titles turned on to read the dialgue. Very interesting interpretation, not just about Mary of Magdela, but also of Judas. I can see it is film more for believers than others, but praise be to the film-makers for not altering their viewpoint in an effort to please everybody.
April 2, 2018
Un relato lento sin fundamento histórico,una forma sutil de vender un inductor al sueño cargado de ideología feminista.
April 2, 2018
Finally they show the truth story of Mary Magdalene. Church they lie for so many years,about that. Loving and historical