Mary of Scotland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary of Scotland Reviews

½ October 22, 2008
Slow moving and sluggish, not one of Kate's better efforts.
½ September 12, 2008
Great performance by Hepburn, she is naturally regal and elegant, so she makes a wonderful Mary Queen of Scots. I didn't care much for the rest of the cast. Or their accents for that matter!
September 2, 2008
Basically a woman's melodrama in queens robes. Hepburn is great, but it runs a bit too long.
August 25, 2008
After a trip to Scotland, am in love with the history of Henry, Elizabeth, Mary and James. Watching a movie made over 70 years ago, I still feel the movie is a good one.
½ July 26, 2008
Great acting, and amazing costumes. I was a little disappointed in Mary's lack of ability to stand up for herself in this movie.
½ June 28, 2008
Hepburn is luminous as usual but how hard could it have been to find actors that could do a decent Scottish accent.
April 10, 2008
I would rather watch every episode of Oprah while smelling Oprah's sweaty armpit. I would rather vote for Obama or scrape the burnt off of toast. To put it simple, no, this movie will not be watched by me.
December 10, 2007
Katharine Hepburn acting is marvelous!
November 25, 2007
Fredric March plays a protagonist like a stock character, and the settings suck (pretty much all in doors, I know it's an adaptation of a play, but c'mon), but Kate Hepburn makes up for it with tears in her smile, and also great lines like "I'm going to begin to be myself." There's also the revisionist history that I love such as Elizabeth coming to Mary's jail cell to tell her how jealous she is of her. Finally, there's the heroic defense of her innocence, all and all, worth your time.
½ November 19, 2007
John Ford out of his realm and it shows. The chemistry between March and Hepburn lacks a much needed spark, and Mary is portrayed as a complete saint while everyone else around here is scheming and devious.

Photography and set design more than make up for the films shortcomings.
½ November 15, 2007
Katherine Hepburn is always luminous. The black and white cinematography is masterful and I'm a sucker for bagpipes. But the romance is pretty tepid, especially March, who can't seem to play off Hepburn's sensitivity very well:

"Yer a woman! And I'm a man! I love ye!"

No shit??
November 3, 2007
Although I do love this film--in short it is a bit boring. I loved the period costumes and sets and the acting, but storyline lacked any real excitement!! Katherine Hepburn was fine but any real passion in the acting department has to go to Fredric March. The supporting players were good in their parts, especially Florence Eldridge as Queen Elizabeth. It is a nice film, but a tad too long and boring!
October 20, 2007
good film, katherine hepburn is very memorable
October 17, 2007
saw the end, now I want to watch the whole thing.
½ October 16, 2007
One of the big pieces of crap. She's still illuminating. But I guess if I wanted to start exploring the oeuvre of Miss Kate, I shouldn't start with the one where she wears a dress.
September 4, 2007
This movie wasn't great by any means, but it is well worth it to see Kate in one of her early leading roles. Quite frankly, she never looked lovelier. March was great as her dapper, handsome Scottish hero. Florence Eldridge turned in a nice supporting role as the evil, hell-bent on destroying Mary, Elizabeth; altough the characterization of Elizabeth, at times, seemed a bit over the top. I'm not sure why this film didn't work. March (who, as always, looked quite lovely himself) and Hepburn are convincing in their only on-screen pairing. The film seems to lack direction, which is odd, considering John Ford directed it. Overall, this is worth a look. If anything, it's worth a look just for the on-screen greatness of March and Hepburn.
August 31, 2007
Katharine Hepburn rules!
½ July 12, 2007
It wasn't terribly good. This was a bad stage in Hepburn's career.
½ June 11, 2007
she really is a queen
June 9, 2007
Una de las peores peliculas de John Ford, ni siquiera la actuacion de Hepburn puede salvar el torpe guion y puesta en escena