Mary Poppins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Poppins Reviews

February 4, 2016
Mary Poppins is a legendary piece of art.
January 31, 2016
A timeless family musical classic, highlighted by Van Dyke's prodigious energy, luxuriant sets, lilting and amusingly melodic music, and witty - and impeccably sentimental - scenarios. Apparently, this was Julie Andrews' first appearance on the screen - and she certainly triumphed, performing and singing with ease and grace, displaying a fresh type of beauty that adapted perfectly to to the then-new colour cameras.
January 31, 2016
best live action disney film
January 28, 2016
There is not much one can say about how great this Disney film is. Some special effects were groundbreaking for its time. This is a showcase for the underrated brilliance of Dick Van Dyke, the triple threat of acting, singing and dancing. He even plays multiple roles! People tend to forget that John Ritter owes everything to the physical comedy of Van Dyke, whom he obviously studied carefully and paled in comparison. Van Dyke was a giant in his time, and the Dick Van Dyke show was another testament to this. David MacAlister is great in his role as well. Oh yeah, and Julie Andrews is pretty good as Mary Poppins as well.
January 18, 2016
It's Mary Poppins. You can't hate Mary Poppins.
January 18, 2016
Disney's early-20th century fantasy is as charming and whimsical as it is emotionally affecting. The dreamlike environment and catchy songs transport the audience to a unique world in which anything can happen. It's a bright, colorful yarn, but it also has it's fair share of heartfelt moments that depict the more morose side of growing up.
½ January 18, 2016
The half star is for Dick Van Dyke's wonderful performance. The rest of the film resulted in this being the only positive element i found. I love children's films and classic musicals, but overextended dance numbers combined with overly simplistic songs (only improved by Andrews's beautiful voice) AND a terrible finale left me bored out of my mind and terribly disappointed. Fiddler on the Roof is a much better musical, appealing to most every audience. At least they told the truth about one thing: the sound of the S song was quite atrocious.
December 30, 2015
Well, that's the second classic of the Christmas period I assumed I'd seen before but hadn't. Very good, non stop happy action. DvD's accent and the very weak child acting was the downsides.
December 15, 2015
Rarely ever do I give movies five star ratings.
½ December 15, 2015
I woke up this morning with "Feed the Birds" stuck in my head, and I realized that I haven't watched this movie since I was 12.

Its kind of amazing how great this movie still is, even 50 years after its release. The effects still hold up really well, and the story is just as magical for me as an adult as it was as a child.

Honestly, my only complaints on the movie are that Jane has literally no character. Her brother, Michael, is described as "extremely stubborn and suspicious", and that carries through the movie. He screams and refuses to do things and acts like a child would. Jane, on the other hand, gets "prone to giggling and doesn't put things away." Not only does this not carry through out the rest of the movie, but thats not a character. Jane is just the cute innocent that tells her brother to calm down from time to time. None of the adults treat her with the interest that they treat her brother either. Its honestly kind of disheartening.

But other than that, the movie is weirdly perfect. Its the perfect mix of magical and fun and sad and complex. Its one of those movies where every time you watch it you notice another fun detail. It makes you want to get up and dance in the happy scenes, and it makes you feel the weight of the heavier scenes. It really deserves its place as a classic.
December 12, 2015
Practically perfect in every way.
December 8, 2015
One of the best films ever made! Full of magic and wonder and honestly, I think this film got better as I got older. When I was a kid I loved the songs, the scenes where the toy room comes to life and cleans itself, the animated horse race, laughing on the ceiling and the dance on top of the rooftops of London. Just pure fun! As an adult, and after watching 'Saving Mr. Banks' I can see how Mary Poppins helps the father become a better man and bind the family together. There is a good reason why this film is currently sitting at 100 percent on rotten tomatoes. It's, "practically perfect in every way!"
December 6, 2015
Enchanting and hilarious, Andrews is beyond brilliant as the snarky and mysterious nanny from heaven, Van Dyke is electric, and the kids are adorable. Tomlinson, however, may be the real treasure as Mr. Banks, who's like a lesson in big yet believable character arcs. One of the few real masterpieces of Disney's live-action catalogue, it's practically perfect in every way.
½ December 2, 2015
Joke about this movie and all it's problems but this is an amazing movie.
½ October 19, 2015
Lots of fun, but very outdated. Little bits of racism and references that are way out of date. But still a classic!
October 16, 2015
Such A Great Classic You Will Need No Sugar To Get This Medicine Go Down Trust Me
October 14, 2015
It's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! By far, one of the crowning achievements for Disney as well as the entire film industry!
September 17, 2015
Blev sugen på att se denna efter att jag sett Saving Mr Banks som jag tyckte väldigt mycket om. Men detta var inte så givande tycker jag, men svårt att bedöma så långt efter att den gjordes kanske.
September 15, 2015
I haven't rated this yet for some reason.
September 14, 2015
Makes me wanna go fly a kite