Mary Poppins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Poppins Reviews

½ December 15, 2015
I woke up this morning with "Feed the Birds" stuck in my head, and I realized that I haven't watched this movie since I was 12.

Its kind of amazing how great this movie still is, even 50 years after its release. The effects still hold up really well, and the story is just as magical for me as an adult as it was as a child.

Honestly, my only complaints on the movie are that Jane has literally no character. Her brother, Michael, is described as "extremely stubborn and suspicious", and that carries through the movie. He screams and refuses to do things and acts like a child would. Jane, on the other hand, gets "prone to giggling and doesn't put things away." Not only does this not carry through out the rest of the movie, but thats not a character. Jane is just the cute innocent that tells her brother to calm down from time to time. None of the adults treat her with the interest that they treat her brother either. Its honestly kind of disheartening.

But other than that, the movie is weirdly perfect. Its the perfect mix of magical and fun and sad and complex. Its one of those movies where every time you watch it you notice another fun detail. It makes you want to get up and dance in the happy scenes, and it makes you feel the weight of the heavier scenes. It really deserves its place as a classic.
December 12, 2015
Practically perfect in every way.
December 8, 2015
One of the best films ever made! Full of magic and wonder and honestly, I think this film got better as I got older. When I was a kid I loved the songs, the scenes where the toy room comes to life and cleans itself, the animated horse race, laughing on the ceiling and the dance on top of the rooftops of London. Just pure fun! As an adult, and after watching 'Saving Mr. Banks' I can see how Mary Poppins helps the father become a better man and bind the family together. There is a good reason why this film is currently sitting at 100 percent on rotten tomatoes. It's, "practically perfect in every way!"
December 6, 2015
Enchanting and hilarious, Andrews is beyond brilliant as the snarky and mysterious nanny from heaven, Van Dyke is electric, and the kids are adorable. Tomlinson, however, may be the real treasure as Mr. Banks, who's like a lesson in big yet believable character arcs. One of the few real masterpieces of Disney's live-action catalogue, it's practically perfect in every way.
½ December 2, 2015
Joke about this movie and all it's problems but this is an amazing movie.
½ October 19, 2015
Lots of fun, but very outdated. Little bits of racism and references that are way out of date. But still a classic!
October 16, 2015
Such A Great Classic You Will Need No Sugar To Get This Medicine Go Down Trust Me
October 14, 2015
It's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! By far, one of the crowning achievements for Disney as well as the entire film industry!
September 17, 2015
Blev sugen på att se denna efter att jag sett Saving Mr Banks som jag tyckte väldigt mycket om. Men detta var inte så givande tycker jag, men svårt att bedöma så långt efter att den gjordes kanske.
September 15, 2015
I haven't rated this yet for some reason.
September 14, 2015
Makes me wanna go fly a kite
½ September 5, 2015
Finely crafted and wonderfully acted agreeable little story.
August 31, 2015
A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.

A strict, up tight, and rigid banker hires a nanny to take care of his two children over the summer. A mysterious nanny appears, via a flying broom, and reluctantly takes on the responsibility. She pairs with a local singing alcoholic to give the children their most amazing summer ever!

"I think a trial period would be wise."

Robert Stevenson, director of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Love Bug, Jane Eyre, Herbie Rides Again, Old Yeller, Johnny Tremain, and Dishonored Lady, delivers Mary Poppins. The storyline for this picture is very well done, interesting, and a solid children's settings and feel. The acting is also first rate and the cast includes Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Reta Shaw, Glynis Johns, David Tomlinson, and Arthur Malet.

"You didn't jump in the river...how sensible of you."

My daughter received this blu ray DVD for Christmas from her grandmother and we finally got around to seeing it...it was awesome (I had not seen it in a long time). My daughter enjoyed it in and out, she was mesmerized one moment and bored the next (she is six) but it is still a timeless, worthwhile, family picture that I strongly recommend. This is worth having in your DVD collection.

"I brew what I like and I like what I brew."

Grade: A
½ August 29, 2015
It doesn't get much better than "Mary Poppins" with it's elaborated sets, dazzling special effects, it's delightful songs and one of the most iconic roles and legendary performances by the amazingly talented Julie Andrews.
½ August 14, 2015
My childhood right here.
July 28, 2015
Mary Poppins is a magical work of art thanks to its catchy songs, superb special effects, and a wonderful Julie Andrews in the title role
July 28, 2015
I recently just viewed this classic film for the first time. It's been in Disney collection for years; as I get older I'm appreciating musicals more and more. I love all the songs, and sometimes I find myself humming them. Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews are brilliant!!' You can't beat Disney movie magic. Highly recommend this film.
July 23, 2015
I grew up with live action Disney films, and have a deep-seated love for them.

Not this one. Everything about this one irritates me. I generally dislike Julie Andrews, and only her performance in "The Sound of Music" irritates me more than her performance here. Dick Van Dyke I like (it even rhymes), but his accent in this film so so terrible it overcomes his usual likeability. Everything else about the film I can take or leave.
½ July 11, 2015
It has only taken me 51 years to watch this well-known musical...and I was disappointed. Actually, I found it slow and uninspiring in parts. The plot is generally weak and some scenes really don't piece together very well. And while there are the timeless classic songs, most are not memorable. But there are clever special effects, charm from the children, and an excellent performance by Andrews. AAN 1001
½ June 29, 2015
Mary Poppins has so much charm and very well choreographed dance scenes. The only problem is that the movie is too long. That makes up for it once the great finale hits and its incredibly satisfying.