Mary Poppins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Poppins Reviews

½ September 5, 2015
Finely crafted and wonderfully acted agreeable little story.
August 31, 2015
A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.

A strict, up tight, and rigid banker hires a nanny to take care of his two children over the summer. A mysterious nanny appears, via a flying broom, and reluctantly takes on the responsibility. She pairs with a local singing alcoholic to give the children their most amazing summer ever!

"I think a trial period would be wise."

Robert Stevenson, director of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Love Bug, Jane Eyre, Herbie Rides Again, Old Yeller, Johnny Tremain, and Dishonored Lady, delivers Mary Poppins. The storyline for this picture is very well done, interesting, and a solid children's settings and feel. The acting is also first rate and the cast includes Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Reta Shaw, Glynis Johns, David Tomlinson, and Arthur Malet.

"You didn't jump in the river...how sensible of you."

My daughter received this blu ray DVD for Christmas from her grandmother and we finally got around to seeing it...it was awesome (I had not seen it in a long time). My daughter enjoyed it in and out, she was mesmerized one moment and bored the next (she is six) but it is still a timeless, worthwhile, family picture that I strongly recommend. This is worth having in your DVD collection.

"I brew what I like and I like what I brew."

Grade: A
½ August 29, 2015
It doesn't get much better than "Mary Poppins" with it's elaborated sets, dazzling special effects, it's delightful songs and one of the most iconic roles and legendary performances by the amazingly talented Julie Andrews.
½ August 14, 2015
My childhood right here.
July 28, 2015
Mary Poppins is a magical work of art thanks to its catchy songs, superb special effects, and a wonderful Julie Andrews in the title role
July 28, 2015
I recently just viewed this classic film for the first time. It's been in Disney collection for years; as I get older I'm appreciating musicals more and more. I love all the songs, and sometimes I find myself humming them. Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews are brilliant!!' You can't beat Disney movie magic. Highly recommend this film.
July 23, 2015
I grew up with live action Disney films, and have a deep-seated love for them.

Not this one. Everything about this one irritates me. I generally dislike Julie Andrews, and only her performance in "The Sound of Music" irritates me more than her performance here. Dick Van Dyke I like (it even rhymes), but his accent in this film so so terrible it overcomes his usual likeability. Everything else about the film I can take or leave.
½ July 11, 2015
It has only taken me 51 years to watch this well-known musical...and I was disappointed. Actually, I found it slow and uninspiring in parts. The plot is generally weak and some scenes really don't piece together very well. And while there are the timeless classic songs, most are not memorable. But there are clever special effects, charm from the children, and an excellent performance by Andrews. AAN 1001
½ June 29, 2015
Mary Poppins has so much charm and very well choreographed dance scenes. The only problem is that the movie is too long. That makes up for it once the great finale hits and its incredibly satisfying.
June 19, 2015
Not sure who doesn't LOVE this movie!
June 17, 2015
Well, I thought this movie was fine and all, but I wouldn't say it's a must-see.
June 15, 2015
Kjmpe søt film! Både Dick van Dyke og Mary poppins..mine favoritter=)
June 11, 2015
True Disney magic! Timeless!
June 3, 2015
i love marry poppins it is lovely
May 28, 2015
This movie has changed me. It would also be nice watching this movie right after "Saving Mr. Banks". It will probably bring you to tears, as it did for me
May 13, 2015
92% on my Tomatometer.
May 11, 2015
This is my childhood. It holds up through time by charm alone.
½ April 24, 2015
A very charming film.
½ April 12, 2015
I hadn't seen this one since I was a young kid and I'm not a big fan of musicals so I didn't have high expectations, but I ended up really enjoying it. It's silly, but a lot of fun. The songs are really catchy as well. It helped watching "Saving Mr.Banks" recently to know the back-story as well. Just a tremendous family film to be enjoyed by all.
April 8, 2015
If you have seen the film, you will understand what I mean when I say it is the best film of it's time.