Mary Poppins Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Poppins Returns Reviews

March 23, 2019
Loved this movie so much
½ March 23, 2019
Emily Blunt was brave to take this on, but it does not work out well.
March 22, 2019
I canÔ(TM)t believe she came back after 54 years. The original Mary Poppins was the 1st movie I ever saw as a boy. I was 6. I will never forget that movie. It was wonderful.
Mary Poppins Returns, what can I say, I cried when I saw her coming down from the sky. I was immediately transported back to that 6 year old boy. I was in amazement. It was perfect. I am hoping that every little boy and girl who went to the movies to see it, will be as amazed as I was tonight. There will never be a remake of the original that could replace my fascination with Mary Poppins.
So, Mary Poppins Returnes, has just made a place just below and slightly to stage right of my heart. This wonderful movie has giver me back my childhood. Two separate movies for two separate generations that that are among the two best movies I have ever seen in my 60 years. Thank you Disney.
½ March 22, 2019
The original film is near and dear to my heart. I probably watched this a thousand times with my grandmother and I was concerned that my eye might be too critical of an update.

The film wasn't exact, but I'm not sure it was intended to be.

Emily Blunt was spot on. Her mannerisms, her impersonation of Julie Andrews' Poppins... Down to the blinks and head posture... Was perfect.

Lin was lovable. The major dance performance by Lin and the lamp lighters was a perfect tribute to the chimney sweep performed in the original film.

They incorporated new graphic technology as well as an old style animation as shown in the original. It made it believable as a sequel and it felt at times like a continuation of my old favorite.

Dick Van Dyke was incredible to see again. I admit I cried.

Overall, I thought it was masterfully done and my inner child is grateful for the sequel.
March 22, 2019
They did a good job!
March 21, 2019
I was really looking forward to watching this movie with my wife. We got the video and started watching it. She was asleep in 45 minutes and I was bored out of my mind. Very disappointed.
½ March 21, 2019
Mostly enjoyable film with a solid performance by Emily Blunt as an exquisite actor and an adequate singer. Many of the songs felt out of place and the plot was uninspired, with Ben Whishaw as a charmless and off-putting central character. Better plot and more originality needed next time please. Also consider casting a musical actress/singer who can act rather than an actor who can get by with singing,
March 20, 2019
Very good movie. Definitely feels like a Disney movie from Bank when the original was made.
March 20, 2019
Absolutely loved it. Don´┐ 1/2(TM)t listen to the negative reviews.
March 19, 2019
Being a fan of the original and having feelings of nostalgia associated with it all the memories of happy times with family who are no longer here, i was hoping but wasn't really expecting this sequel to be anywhere near as good as the original, although not quite as good it's still a really enjoyable family film. all of the cast were great they did an excellent job trying to match the feel of the original, Emily Blunt had a hard act to follow but did a fine job singing as Mary, can't think of a single other actress that would've done a better job playing Mary.. The songs aren't as memorable as those in the original film but those people who thought they would be must be imbeciles, they're still fun and enjoyable all i can think is the people complaining mustn't have much soul if they didn't find at least some of the songs enjoyable or highly emotional particularly (The Place Where Lost Things Go) if you've lost someone you love or have the ability to share affective empathy with the films characters that song will bring tears to your eyes.. There's nothing wrong with the story it may not be that original but few things are these days.. We liked Mary Poppins Returns and would recommend it.
March 17, 2019
this movie is so sweet you won't have any teeth when you leave the theater
March 17, 2019
It is really nice to be politically correct, but during the period of Mary Poppins, no chimney sweep was Puerto Rican. That is like White people playing slaves in Roots.
½ March 16, 2019
Disney is rolling around in his grave he would have not approved this movie

They made it into a Broadway play instead i literally felt lyr if it was a recording of a Broadway play

And who knew marry poppins teaches you to break in to someones house when they dont want to open the door .
March 16, 2019
I watched this movie back to back with the original one and really liked it. It uses quite a lot of throwbacks and the general outline of the movie is the same, but I think they managed to make it a wonderful experience!
The cast was great and contrary to a lot of critics I saw I found the children to be very good (at least for children). They were definitly better than the children in the original, in my opinion. Loved Emilys Mary and there is little Lin can do wrong as I love him dearly.
Definitly a movie you can watch!
March 16, 2019
La pelicula sin duda brinda un espectaculo lleno de colores y magia. Emily Blunt y Lin-Manuel Miranda nos brindan personalidad rebosante y enserio necesitaba de todo lo que pude ver aqui
March 16, 2019
Emily Blunt can make me watch anything. She is a brilliant character. The movie was fun but I didn't like any other character than Mary Poppins, oh except the great surprise of Meryl Streep of course.
March 15, 2019
I don't remember much about the original Mary Poppins from the 60s, aside from a few of the legendary songs and Julies Andrew's stellar performance as the quirky nanny. The sequel, produced 54 years later, does so little to distinguish itself from the original that I don't know why they didn't just set out to do a straight-up remake. Emily Blunt is as great as ever, but the acting by the children is poor, and Lin-Manuel Miranda, an actor I haven't seen a lot of, seems to be saddled with the role of 'Character who pops up now and then solely to extend the runtime.' I really wanted to enjoy the songs and the dance numbers, but they always felt like they were going on forever. The scene with the street light dancing in the park feels especially pointless. Also, I found the logic of the movie to be fatally flawed and inconsistent. Mary Poppins can turn a bathtub into an elaborate underwater world and fly down from the sky but not fix a cracked bowl. Also, in the first movie Poppins came to help the children because they were somewhat mischevious, but here she appears to take care of kids who are reasonably well behaved, and the issue here is that their house is going to be repossessed. The film then proceeds to gloss over this issue rather than addressing it, and takes every chance to demonise the father for being stressed about their impending homelessness. I got annoyed at how the film constantly treated the Dad like the bad guy, and how Mary Poppins never seemed to use her powers to truly help him. I'm not even sure if her inclusion in the film affected the final outcome. I don't know if I just misread the message, but I had a hard time properly getting into the story. To me it was certainly bright and glossy, but there seemed to be a striking lack of heart lurking beneath the surface.
½ March 15, 2019
Think about everything you liked about the original Mary Poppins, and then imagine a movie without any of that stuff.

Remember that Savings Mr Banks movie where PL Travers is worried that Disney will destroy the Mary Poppins character? This is the movie she was worried they would make.

The fake accents will keep you up at night
March 15, 2019
Wife and I saw this a few hours ago. Naturally before I pulled the trigger I checked the reviews and went against them and Im glad I did.
I wont spoil it for others but I'll give you my general take on it and how it conflicts with others.
Marvel has some fun with the movie. Ive seen this trend with guardians of the galaxy and am glad they continue to do it.
Marvel isnt an over-the-top mary sue like Star Wars, but she IS op at the end. This is basically Marvel's version of superman. Most of the movie you dont see how OP she is, but when it all comes together you can see what is up.
The movie is better than age of ultron. Age of ultron was such a snooze and yet seeing some commenters say they are on the same level - i disagree.
I found the movie better than black panther and equally as forgettable. I find most marvel movies fun to watch once a year or so -except iron man 3- and this one fits that bag.
Fury's eye story was lazy.
The cat's cgi was as low-budget as black panther to the point i noticed it too much.
The cat comedy relief was "ok" to me but I noticed the audience loved it, so maybe im in the minority.
The feminist thing doesnt state women are better than men, rather that women can do it too. Nothing offensive there.
Bri Larson was pretty good. I thought it would look forced as others have suggested but I didnt see it.
Tbh. This isnt the ghost busters reboot or last jedi. Its a campy fun movie with some 90s nostalgia thrown in for good measure.
Id rate it slightly better than the average marvel movie but not the best.
March 15, 2019
best disney movie ive seen in a long time.