Master of the Flying Guillotine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Master of the Flying Guillotine Reviews

DragonEyeMorrison
½ April 24, 2007
Baddest old guy in a kung fu flick ever. Baddest weapon ever created. Indian guy that stretches his arms....i could go on and on.
May 21, 2007
I feel like I've just been let it on a secret.

One of the coolest, purest and craziest kung fu films ever made.

The flying Guillotine is one of the most WTF weapons in the genre. Imagine a bladed bee keepers helmet on a chain and it's being wielded by a blind blood thirst monk on a revenge kick.
Beefy
September 23, 2006
Such fun!
August 13, 2012
Well it is a bit to bizarre with someone getting choked out with hair and extending arms but it was still pretty badass. The final fight scene was between an old blind nazi and a one armed boxer, so it's out there. Some great Kung Fu choreography and it's well made. And even though one guys a nazi murderer you really don't know who to root for. My favorite part was the tournament itself though, actually really cool to see everyone's reaction, it was a great set of scenes.
lesleyanorton
August 14, 2009
Old school kung fu fun (& a Tarantino & Samuel L Jackson favourite) as the one armed goody fights a variety of quirky baddies. Apparently there's a remake in the pipeline for 2010. Noooooo!
shanehaley41
June 23, 2009
This is a really masterfully done movie for the era. The soundtrack and background music is amazing and really adds to the film. The fight scenes are superb and the vast array of martial arts specialists that comes to the tournament is impressive. A lone monk receives a letter from 2 of his disciples who are tracking a one armed boxer to kill him. If the monk gets the letter that means that the boxer killed them instead and they wish the blind monk to avenge them. He burns down his home and makes a pact to avenge them or die. He is the master of an elusive style called the Flying Guillotine that involves a weapon that has a long chain and a vale at the end that covers the head and then he yanks the chain and sharp razors cut your head off. A great movie with a cast that involves a few people who show up in some main stream kung fu and martial arts films.
iLeo
March 7, 2008
Great.
½ August 1, 2007
Great, fun film with an awesome theme song. Oddly, the Master of the Flying Guillotine is actually the film's villain and the one armed boxer is the hero.
The fight scenes in this are highly entertaining, especially the introduction of the Thai kickboxer, and the extended competition scene reminds me a lot of the excellent extended training scenes in 36th Chamber of Shaolin, in the sense that it totally steers away from the films narrative (maybe not so much in 36th Chamber) to deliver awesome kung fu action. And to think all the critics were praising Fargo for it's scenes that don't involve the plot!
You can't go wrong with this film if you are a martial arts fan, and listen to the commentary if you have the DVD. It's entertaining and informative.
½ September 17, 2013
Happy to finally cross this one off the list for Movie Shame Monday. Great fight sequences and some truly bizarro practical effects make this one for the ages as a blind master hunts down and kills every eon armed man in the countryside in his efforts to take out the One Armed Boxer who killed two of his disciples.

Wild stuff, definitely worth a rental at the very least.
May 8, 2012
Probably the greatest martial arts tournament-type film ever made this side of 'Enter the Dragon', with no end of creative gimmicks and fight sequences. Jimmy Wang Yu plays a particularly sadistic one-armed boxer, who massacres pretty much every threat posed to him by a blind Master seeking revenge for the murder of his two disciples. Any flick with a flying guillotine in it at all is worth three stars from me, so it's a bonus that this one also packs in a lot of weird, brutal fun.
August 24, 2013
February 16, 2012
I saw this as a kid and it scared the hell out of me. I was terrified of having someone come after me with a flying guillotine. That being said, it's a good movie but also kind of corny.
January 6, 2007
Great all around kung fu flick. The sound effects and the Master's theme are rockin'. Nut kicking leg breaker and Monkey style guy are some of my favorites, but that kick boxer is pretty basass! The final battle scene is great, hatchets, caskets and all.
½ November 26, 2010
Once you find the groove of this delectable cheese fest, you'll realize how influential Guillotine has been. One of the greatest (and weirdest) Chinese martial arts movies of the 1970s.
July 15, 2010
I ran into some gold last night when I saw these two films. Master of the Flying Guillotine is an awesome but sometimes hilarious kung fu film. Totally awesome theme song for the Guillotine master. YES!

Rescue Dawn was a very good film, wouldn't expect any less from Christian Bale and Werner Herzog. Loved this film. And it's not because of the fact that I have a totally heterosexual mancrush on Mr. Bale.
July 15, 2010
[b]SYNOPSIS:[/b] The one-armed boxer is stalked by a vengeful flying guillotine expert, after his disciples were killed in the first 'One-Armed Boxer' film. But as the flying guillotine master is blind, he starts his quest by becoming a serial killer of one-armed men. Meanwhile, the one-armed boxer is running a martial arts school, where he teaches his pupils to control their breath so they can run up walls and along ceilings. And there's an Indian fakir whose arms can extend until they're ten feet long. As you may have gathered, a rational plot summary is pretty pointless - but rest assured there are epic martial arts battles and ludicrously inspired moments galore.

[b]REVIEW: [/b]Jimmy Wang Yu is like box office gold to me. I can watch this guy chop melted cheese and I'd still be captivated. Master of the Flying Guillotine is one the several One-Armed Bandit movies that Wang Yu made, including Zatoichi vs. the One-Armed Bandit, to name one that I liked. There's plenty of action in this flick and the ending is, well, it's okay as long as you're not expecting the Guillotine guy to get his revenge. OK, OK, I killed the ending for you. Sorry.

[u][b]CATEGORY RATINGS:
- ENTERTAINMENT VALUE: 8
[color=Red]OVERALL AVERAGE RATING: 6.4[/color]
[/b]
July 15, 2010
In all typical lights of criticism, this is a terrible movie, however, it'll find a place in your heart if you're a fan of grindhouse Hong Kong movies. (all 11 of you.) It's about an old guy who throws a hat with razor blades in it to decapitate people, what more do you need?
½ July 15, 2010
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b]Well, I've seen a number of movies over the past 6 months. I kept a list of them so far and today I almost decided to just delete the list and stop tracking my movie watching, but then I changed my mind. No one reads this thing anymore anyway; I figured I would put what little I can remember about these movies in here.[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i]Casablanca[/i] (Curtiz, 1942)
Entertainment Value: 6/10 :fresh:
Film Quality: 9/10 :fresh: [/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b]The low level of personal entertainment I find in 'classics' like this sometimes gets me ostracized. I'm not denying that the film is impressive but I don't find it as engrossing as many do. It contains several great scenes in it and the ending is probably the best but I didn't feel like there was enough to take me between these moments. Even though it wasn't engaging enough for me I could see how someone could get swept up into its romance and intrigue. Number 37 on AFI's Top 100 Trills doesn't seem appropriate for the film at all, though.[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i]The Crow[/i] (Proyas, 1994)
Entertainment Value: 4/10 :rotten:
Film Quality: 4/10 :rotten: [/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b]Dark, stylish, and action-packed are all far too polite of things to say about this movie. It's superficial story and skin-deep characters make the whole experience empty in spite of having the fore-mentioned attributes. Honestly, I can't even remember much about it, so I guess it isn't very impressionable either.[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i]Carrie[/i] (De Palma, 1976)
Entertainment Value: 7/10 :fresh:
Film Quality: 7/10 :fresh: [/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b]Good. Very good, actually. Having read the book I didn't know quite what to expect since there is no way of adapting the book as it's written. In case you haven't read the book... it regularly switches back and forth between telling the story of the events leading up to prom night and talking to survivors and witnesses afterwards. Because of all the talk of the aftermath it does an incredible job of getting you excited to see what actually happens on that night. Although the film couldn't really imitate this, it still did a great job of keeping me on the edge of me seat for the big moment. It's a solid adaptation and a great thriller.[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i]Master of the Flying Guillotine[/i] (Wang Yu, 1975)
Entertainment Value: 5/10 :rotten:
Film Quality: 5/10 :rotten: [/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b]A generally unimpressive Kung Fu film. There are some things to enjoy about it if you're craving some old school Kung Fu without the compelling stories and artistic touches of some films. I definitely had my moments of joy with some cheesy super abilities with bad effects (like the stretched arms) and crazy weaponry plus I was squirming in my seat during the 'hot feet' battle. But their just isn't enough wackiness or impressive fight scenes to make the movie fresh. [/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i]Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan[/i] (Meyer, 1982)
Entertainment Value: 3/10 :rotten:
Film Quality: 4/10 :rotten: [/b][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b]I do not in any way see what people like so much about this movie. I'm not a fan of the show either, so maybe that's my problem, but it felt to me like an extended version of a bad episode that thinks it?s more dramatic, touching, humorous, and clever then it really is... which made me despise it even more. There were some good things about it... thinking back now I can't remember them (it was a long time ago), but I know I didn't completely hate everything about it. I won't be running out to rent all the other Star Trek films anytime soon, though.[/b][/size][/font]
½ July 15, 2010
[i]Master of the Flying Guillotine[/i], as the title implies, is an over-the-top kung fu/martial arts film from Hong Kong?s golden era (i.e., the 1970s). In other words, [i]Master of the Flying Guillotine[/i] is a glorious, and occasionally delirious, cheesefest. Among its many other (guilty) pleasures, [i]Master of the Flying Guillotine[/i] features crude, if effectively choreographed, fight scenes (the primary reason for seeing any martial arts film), mystical kung fu (the lead character can walk up walls and ceilings, plus characters with a penchant for jumping great distances), colorful characters, including a yoga master who can extend his arms great distances (think ?Stretch Armstrong?), a blind monk wielding the weapon of choice, a flying disk that instantly decapitates anyone in its path, and the protagonist/hero of the film, a one-armed boxer, rebel leader, and master teacher given to [i]faux[/i] pearls of wisdom.

As with most Hong Kong martial arts films, the plot [i]Master of the Flying Guillotine[/i] is thin, a frame to mark time between the elaborate set pieces. Enter the blind monk, a government assassin, as the film opens, discovers that two of his disciples have been killed by the aforementioned one-armed boxer (Jimmy Yu Wang, hiding one arm under his clothes; he also wrote and directed). Angered by their loss, and fueled (what else) by a desire for revenge, the blind monk (Kang Kam), decides to seek out the one-armed boxer. Presumably, the one-armed boxer will be easy to find. Unfortunately, two other one-armed men cross the blind monk?s path, to disastrous results. We get to see the flying guillotine in action. Apparently, not only does the flying guillotine decapitate its victims, it also cauterizes the rather large neck wounds (the headless bodies don?t exhibit signs of blood loss).

Enter the real one-armed boxer, a [i]sifu[/i] or teacher who operates a martial arts academy. Here, we get to see his teaching methods in action, where he walks on walls (a sign of high proficiency in the arts), and practically floats above a wicker basket (to demonstrate the benefits of deep breathing). He also emphasizes the importance of jumping and jumping high (aided by off screen trampolines). Hearing of a nearby martial arts tournament, the one-armed boxer decides to attend, but not participate in the competition. The tournament itself gives Wang the opportunity to stretch the plot with a series of over-the-top fight scenes featuring a variety of fighting styles, including a Thai boxer (Tsim Po Sham) who begins each fight with an awkward dance steps, a Japanese fighter (the one-armed boxer mentions his jumping skills with approval), the yoga master with the extended arms, and several other, less imaginative fighters, most of whom, in American wrestling fashion, are simply fodder for the more colorful fighters. This long interlude is finally punctuated by the appearance of [i]another[/i] one-armed boxer, whose presence signals the reentry of the blind monk. After dispatching the ?wrong? one-armed boxer, the blind monk lays waste to the competition.

Discovering the identity of the ?real? one-armed boxer, he tracks him down to the martial arts academy. Wang wisely follows martial arts conventions here, turning the first confrontation between the adversaries into a defeat for the one-armed boxer (he flees, slightly injured). The one-armed boxer, along with his students and a female fighter, retreats to a mountain hideaway where he heals first, then plans a way to defeat his formidable adversary. First, he must defeat the Thai fighter, whose alliance with the blind monk remains unexplained. Asking for character motivation (or logic) in a martial arts film, of course, is to expect too much. The one-armed boxer is clever enough to realize he must defeat the Thai boxer and the blind monk separately, in both cases luring them into an ambush. [i]Master of the Flying Guillotine[/i] culminates with the blind monk and the one-armed boxer fighting across three different locations, inside a self-made forest of bamboo poles, an aviary (which helps to distract the blind monk?s reliance on sound), and ultimately, inside a coffin shop. Without this last action set piece, the colorful characters, and the flying weapon of death (better imagined than seen), there?d be little reason to recommend [i]Master of the Flying Guillotine[/i]. Luckily, for connoisseurs of 1970s Hong Kong martial arts cinema, [i]Master of the Flying Guillotine[/i] is an enjoyable, occasionally cheese-heavy, afternoon diversion.