Master With Cracked Fingers (Guang dong xiao lao hu) Reviews

• Jul 26, 2016

Cub Tiger from Kwang Tung, réalisé par Mu Zhu, est le premier film avec Jackie Chan en tête d'affiche. On y trouve aussi Yuen Biao en extra combattant. Voici tout ce qu'il y a à retenir de ce film qui aurait été oublié s'il n'avait pas été sorti en plusieurs versions. Celle-ci n'est pas la dernière et conte une histoire somme toute très simple puisque Jackie Chan doit venger son père qui ne voulait pas qu'il apprenne les arts martiaux, mort à cause de voyous. En 1h20, Mu Zhu fait combattre son casting à peu près 3 fois chacun, avec des chorégraphies encore un peu rustres, mais assez énergiques. Heureusement, tout ceci est très court et Jackie Chan a assez de charisme pour ne pas ennuyer un spectateur qui sera parfois tenté de faire autre chose à côté.

• Jul 01, 2016

A young Jackie Chan stands up against the scum who are trying to shake down his father. Yuen is the balls.

• Mar 14, 2014

Watchable fun, probably the oldest Chan film I'm tracked down, this one under the title Cub Tiger From Kwang Tung. Worth a rental.

• Aug 11, 2013

I own this on DVD in a five movie pack along with: * Fantasy Misison Force (1984) * Eagle Shadow Fist (1973) * Fire Dragon (1986) * The Young Tiger (1973)

• Nov 03, 2012

This was Jackie Chan's (then going by Sammo Hung's opera school name Yuen Lung) first big break after a former colleague got him the lead in a film that was so bad the producers walked off with the footage one night without ever finishing the film. Later [someone] re-edited the existing footage with scenes from other films and tacked on a pseudo finale with a Jackie Chan look alike releasing it to the Western market in 1979 under a plethora of different titles. Originally released in Hong Kong as "Cub Tiger from Kwangtung."

• scott g Super Reviewer
    Sep 16, 2010

not seen many early chan, but he must have been something as his charactor was called jackie chan, a entertaining watch full of great fighting and the dubbing truly awful, but they always add something

• Sep 16, 2010

This film has some strange scenes, but overall it isn't too bad a watch.

This film has some strange scenes, but overall it isn't too bad a watch.

• Jul 27, 2010

Jackie (Chan) has secretly studied martial arts under the tutalage of an eccentric master (Yuen). Now, he must use his skills to defeat a vicious band of extotionists and avenge his father's death. I saw this movie most recently under the title "Ten Fingers of Death" and I think there must be multiple cuts of it out there (not to mention that it's probably lurking under even more titles), because parts of it seemed familiar while other parts were completely new to me. Either it's mercifully faded in my memory since I first saw it as "Snake Fist Fighter" or I gave up waaay early in the film and skipped part of the opening. (How could I forget the unintentionally creepy scene of a dirty old man commanding a little boy to take off his pants while there are alone in the dark forest?) I don't remember "Snake Fist Fighter" as being all that good, but either my taste in movies has refined over the years (Hah!) or the version of this film that's known as "Ten Fingers of Death" is almost unbearably bad. It feels like it's two movies that's been edited together, and according to numerous sources, it almost is. Although frequently touted as Jackie Chan's first starring role, this is one of those many movies that was started and later abandoned--according to some reports, the film's producer skipped town with the bankroll and the actors and crew were left unpaid. Several years later, after Jackie Chan became a fullblown movie star, the movie was completed with one or two of the original actors returning to appear in additional scenes and a standin and not-so-clever camera angles were used to kinda-sorta fill Jackie Chan's role in what passes for the story. There are isolated bits of the movie that are good. Chan's running battle with thugs threatening his uncle's restraunt (that terminates in mud puddles), the fight on the waterfront, and the Creepy Old Master's confrontation with the effeminate Manderin crime boss (who is exactly what al Qaeda in China's head honcho must be like), and even the "kill some flowers" scene has some merit... but what little good we find here is overwhelmed by the fact the film is overlong with a meandering and nonsensical storyline, and some of the most obvious uses of a stand-in to finish a film I've ever seen. (And they're unnecessary uses in a couple of cases, such as when "Jackie" and the Creepy Old Master go to confront the Manderin crime boss.) This is not a movie worth going out of your way for, even if you're the world's biggest Jackie Chan fan. It's barely worth watching. Ten Fingers of Death (aka "Master with Cracked Fingers", "Snake Fist Fighter", and "Little Tiger of Canton") Starring: Jackie Chan, Siu Tien Yuen, Dean Shek, Casanova Wong, and Kwok Choi Hon Director: Mu Zhu

• Jul 27, 2010

[font=Arial]I have seen this movie so many times and I am still not bored with it. This is another older Kung Fu Film and it was Jackie Chans first leading role. The story line is the same as every Kung Fu film, But it is so good, I must say that the fight scenes don't closely compare to Chinese Tiger, but just knowing Jackie Chan plays in it helps. this is a really old one, but it is also really good. Me and a friend of mine remade this on with our own voice overs and it was so good, I loved it... this one is great and I recommend it, It can also be found under the name Snake Fist Fighter. Another Kung-Fu junkie dream.[/font]

• Jun 13, 2010

I am a Jackie Chan fan. He is great light entertainment, and never fails to deliver in his films. Unfortunately, due to serious chancers and money-grabbers, his reputation gets tarnished with this horror of a film. Master With Cracked Fingers tells the story of a young child who lives with his uncle and undertaking some brutal training, and later grows into a hardened fighter, which comes in handy when a local gang try to beat him up. Good points about this film? Well, it is only 80 minutes long. Saying that, its 80 minutes of your life you aren?t going to get back. There is one decent fight scene near the end that is good to watch. But, there are too many bad things to mention. Put simply, this is a film made up of other films and tried to be pieced together to make another story. This is code for making as much money out of Jackie Chan?s name as possible, which is a terrible insult to the martial-arts legend. Due to this story being literally stolen from many others, it feels incredibly disjointed, scenes cut awfully from one to the next, meaning that you are simply guessing what is happening about halfway through the next scene. There is no flow. The story isn?t saying ?come along for the ride?, it is saying ?Come on, try to keep up, because I don?t give a damn whether you enjoy it or not?. It really makes for ugly viewing. The sound quality is awful as with most films from this region at this time, which normally doesn?t bother me, but this sheer atrocity of a film only amplifies this. Quite simply, Master With Cracked Fingers can be described as the film equivalent of John Merrick without the intellect. It is rare for any movie to leave me feeling incredibly uncomfortable with its viewing, but MWCF does this with ease. Please don?t watch it, or more to the point, don?t ever give me another copy of this ?film? ever again.