Masterpiece Theatre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Masterpiece Theatre Reviews

April 2, 2013
Don't know if this was the best version. Can only judge it as a film on it's own merit, and it left me wanting.
jjnxn
½ January 28, 2013
There is a lot wrong with this version of the classic tale. First and foremost the compressing of the story into two hours, the original and best version with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon only told a fraction of the book and it was of equal length, makes everything feel rushed and motivations fuzzy. Almost as damaging is the miscasting of Robert Cavanah in the lead. Heathcliff is a complex, difficult, mostly unlikable character which requires an actor of great personal magnetism to bridge that gap for the audience, Cavanah is not that guy. He just seems cruel, insane and totally unsympathetic. Orla Brady is a bland Cathy making Heathcliff's mad devotion all the more puzzling. Another sore spot no one ages! Once the main characters reach maturity their looks never change even though decades pass. The one bright spot is Matthew MacFayden whose performance is controlled and centered unfortunately his part is small and comes late in the proceedings so he can do little to rescue this woeful effort. Watch the 1939 version instead.
December 6, 2010
supermovie this afternoon :)
½ December 31, 2009
It's jumpy and confusing even for someone who knows the story. The best part was the 2nd generation story (aka Macfayden), which is too often overlooked, but even that couldn't save this. There was no real chemistry or passion between Heathcliff and Catherine, and if I'm not mistaken, that's what the whole story is supposed to be about.
October 6, 2009
What a sad story. What a traggic and sad touching story. I enjoyed it. I want to see different versions of the same strory. I love the end.
½ September 18, 2009
Intense, heartrending...not the usual fairytale ending, but beautiful regardless.
½ July 31, 2009
i don't like it as much as the 1939 classic version ( i still think is the best.)
But it is very poignant, goign through the begginning to the end. I like it better than the 1992 version though. It moved human emotions.
March 29, 2009
sandsynligvis meget tro mod forlaeget men en smule anstrengende og overspillet
January 26, 2009
Has some issues - superfluous scenes, missing explanations, shortened time line - but is otherwise good. Just not pretty to look at.
January 25, 2009
I watched this on Masterpiece Theatre tonight, and totally loved it!! I never read the book..I think I need to now.
½ January 17, 2009
Absolutely the best in every way next to Olivier. Both of them are right, something the other versions never manage and it's not some devolved Hollywood thing based on names and fashions of the day. I've had to buy it twice.
January 12, 2009
Even though I hate the novel.
January 7, 2009
what a great version....
December 24, 2008
I love this version of Wuthering Heights.
½ September 19, 2008
Unfairly maligned on its first TV showing, this Wuthering Heights is intelligent and fairly close to the original book. Not yet the perfect version - has there ever been one - but not the period drama turkey dismissed by some reviewers.
August 13, 2008
skip this and see the original
½ July 30, 2008
Gloomy, scary, dark, passionate. Makes you hold your breath.
June 20, 2008
This is one of my favorite storys of all time.
What a love story...I wanna find my Heathcliff too!!!