Masters of the Universe Reviews

• Mar 30, 2021

The acting was decent, for the most part. The fight scenes were ehh, but I've got one issue, it reminds me too much of Star Wars, and the opening and closing music reminded me of Superman. It was in the same key and everything.

• Mar 16, 2021

Disappointing as a kid who probably didn't understand the 80s SFX issues with a He-Man/Adam transformation or a floating side kick but there are plenty of great effects for the time, plenty of action, 80s mix of mild romance, comedy, tragedy and action and a solid cast. It didn't quite work on some levels but is completely cult sci-fi IMO anyway and very rewatchable. You're going to love it or hate it I guess.

• Mar 03, 2021

I enjoyed it when I was little and still do....however I don’t think the director and the rest of the crew really understood the He-Man and the MOTU property. It isn’t quite true to the source material.

• Feb 18, 2021

Known more for its goofy costumes and a boring subplot starring a pre-Friends Courtney Cox than He-Man himself, 1987's Masters of the Universe has become sort of a cult classic over the years, although it was absolutely demolished by critics when it was first released over 30 years ago. Dolph Lundgren plays He-Man, a warrior wielding a powerful sword, who must prevent the magical world of Eternia from falling into the hands of Skeletor, the evil overlord. As Skeletor stumbles upon a cosmic key that can enable him to enslave the whole universe, He-Man and friends erroneously find their way to Earth where two teenagers will help them not only retrieve the key but also save the universe itself. Although Dolph Lundgren looks perfect as He-Man, he limited acting range at the time really shows during conversations where he fails to hide his thick Swedish accent. The CGI and the makeup is also not up to the mark, leading the modern audience of today to wonder whether they are watching He-Man or one of its countless inevitable parodies that feel more akin to Space Balls than Star Wars. Skeletor, the most recognizable character from the entire franchise, is completely butchered and made a laughing stock. If social media had been a thing in 1987, we would surely have seen a #justiceforSkeletor hashtag invading our news feeds by throngs of passionate fans. Skeletor's facial makeup is so bad that if you have seen the original cartoons, you would surely have a prolonged hissy fit every time you see the monstrosity on screen. With popular characters such as Battle Cat and She-Ra also not in the film, the film fills its roster with obscure characters from the mythology that most casual viewers will not be familiar with. The film's abrupt detour to Earth and the resulting shenanigans involving Courtney Cox and her boyfriend not only distract from the overarching fantasy feel of the film but is also not in line with the source material. This pedestrian by-the-numbers subplot that involves the humans into the eternal struggle between Skeletor and He-Man only makes the movie more disappointing. With visual and narrative similarities to both Conan The Barbarian (1982) and The Beastmaster (1982), Masters of the Universe should be viewed as a product of its time. Sword and sorcery epics were the hoopla those days and the makers behind this film clearly intended to capitalize on the craze rather than honoring the source material. With the film representing one of the earliest attempts to bring a diverse group of super powered characters onscreen in the same film, Masters of the Universe can also be understood to have influenced subsequent films that accomplished this flawlessly, such as X-Men (2000) and The Avengers (2012). More akin to Superman IV: The Quest for Peace and Dragon Ball Z (2009), 1987's Masters of the Universe demonstrates one of the earliest failed attempts by Hollywood to turn a popular childrens' cartoon into a live action feature film. With the film now firmly in ‘so bad it's good' category three decades after its release, He-Man and friends need an authentic reboot that not only does justice to the source material but also stands on its own as a good piece of entertainment cinema.

• Feb 07, 2021

Absolute classic film. Drawing on CGI techniques from Back to the Future and Gremlins it combines technology and a generally watchable storyline. With actors in the heyday of perms and bold outfits, Billy Barter (Wilber) really shines through with his ingenuity and ‘never say die' attitude. However, Dolph Londgren could be considered a little stiff on camera at points, he adds to the movies strength and prowess. While some of the shots aren't up to today's standard you might now see in the Avengers, for example, this movie has probably influenced a whole lot of comedy and action/ thrillers since 1987. One to watch and reminisce with friends and family for sure.

• Jan 14, 2021

he man filme tosco açao horrivel vilaos pessimos

he man filme tosco açao horrivel vilaos pessimos

• Dec 28, 2020

You know it's incredible how subjective movies can be.....we all loved He Man as kids and this is a kids film live action He Man version for the time, i love it as a kid and thought for its time it was just fine, fun adventure characters, struggle of right and wrong, morals, action sequences, few special effects for the day, yes some acting is poor, yes some scenes are dubious but it's a kids film for christ sake and it does a good job for me, loved it as a kid in the 90's and as a man rewatching i feel it does what its meant to, id give it somewhere between 40-50% personally for its objective and deliverance for the date

• Nov 27, 2020

I miss when movies were sexy, it adds so much to the entertainment factor and just to the whole fantasy of it. When did Hollywood become so prude? This is not the only reason I enjoy this movie of course, but rewatching it recently, that does stand out a lot. Dolph Lundgren just oozes sexiness, they somehow made the costume even more skimpy than cartoon He-Man and I love it! Him in this role and Carrie Fisher as Slave Leia were... essential part of my teenage years. A shame modern heroes need to cover everything from head to toe for whatever reason. You just know in the reboot they're supposed to be making, they'll have He-Man wear an ugly full body armor and look nothing like the sexy character he got popular as. Anyways, movie is silly, fun and sexy: what else could you ask for from a piece of entertainment? Excellent film, and 100% a cult classic.

• Oct 27, 2020

Watched the movie on TV when i was in primary school, was one of my favorite movies tied with Gremlins 2, no idea why it has such a low score.

• Jul 08, 2020

I remember first seeing this movie as a kid, and it was kinda disappointing because it wasn't much like the cartoon or the toys. Some characters were faithful adaptations, others were created out of thin air. Then there's the whole ‘coming to this Earth' aspect that is something I'm just not a fan of for fantasy type adaptations. It was a ‘meh' as a kid for certain reasons, and it's a ‘meh' now for other reasons. If you haven't seen it in 10 or 15 years and can catch it without commercials it might be worth a watch but that's about it. It really wasn't worthy of the ‘Masters of the Universe' name. 2 of 5