Maurice Richard (The Rocket) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maurice Richard (The Rocket) Reviews

January 15, 2015
I am NOT a hockey fan but I do know of Maurice Rashard. This was a well put together movie that offered some good insight into such a great player.
March 21, 2014
Pascal Dupuis is in this!!! Gotta see it!!! LOL
½ June 14, 2013
A relatively boring and dry film. As someone who doesn't care about hockey, the story and the acting left a lot to be desired. The story was hard to follow and boring and uninteresting. It was just a mediocre film in the end. Unless you are a huge Canadians fan or a big hockey fan I can't reccommend this.
½ May 26, 2013
4/5 This was a pretty good movie, added it to my favs. It got a bit choppy and starts to jump around in the timeline, but it's still pretty good. One of the better hockey movies I've seen, definitely in my top 5 of hockey movies
March 19, 2013
Possibly the best biography movie of anybody!! Well acted and visually engaging, The Rocket proves that great movies doesn't need a Hollywood superstar!
December 4, 2012
Such an excellent movie! I think it might the single best Hockey movie that I've ever seen!
September 8, 2012
An amazing hockey film, chronicling the rise of a hockey legend that gave hope to French-Canadians in the mid 20th Century. With actual French-Canadian NHL players on-screen, it is very authentic. The story is an inspiring, emotional epic. As far as hockey films go, this The Rocket always has a place among the top of the list.
July 7, 2012
Despite being a hockey movie, I really enjoyed this--probably because I adore Roy Dupuis.
June 9, 2012
a wonderful hockey movie!
May 22, 2012
Solid sports drama that ends up feeling just a bit to generic. Stephen McHattie ftw.
½ April 30, 2012
Instructif, pour qui n'a pas grandi au Quà (C)bec. Belle photographie, les jeux de hockey sont super bien rendus, Roy Dupuis est très bon.
½ April 25, 2012
Très bien, Roy Dupuis est crédible, Julie LeBreton un peu moins. Ça vaut la peine pour la dernière demi-heure.
January 6, 2012
Maurice Richard (the Rocket)
It was a very well done movie. the thing that i liked the most from it was how it or in the English version, combined both languages in to the movie and i think that i was very clever if them to do so. another thing i liked was seeing today's NHL play the rolls of the great legends of the Original 6. like Vincent Leacaviler played Jean Belleavu or most notable is Sean Avery playing Bob Dill (the guy who fights with him in Madison Square Garden.) Roy Dupuis gave a good performance as Le Rocket, and a marvelous one to say the least. the other stuff id liek to say about this is that the sets and props are very well done, like the Uniforms of the teams at the time were spot on and the stadiums were to. i give this the top score even though im not a fan of Les Canadians (Sens fan) but is was a very great 2hrs that i never want back
½ June 29, 2011
I don't know much about Hockey, but like any good sports movie The Rocket doesn't really require me too other than a basic knowledge of how it works. I do know however that any player who's name is an award given to most goals scored in said sport is probably a legend, and if you're a sports legend especially an obscure one that the average man probably hasn't heard of than there's money to be made in an Oscar Bait biopic and thus are born movies like these. Because no matter how uninteresting the subject, the fact is they are a legend and so at the very least the accomplishments should make things exciting. Furthermore people are unfamiliar with the facts if its an obscure sport so they're more likely too see such a movie not knowing the full story anyways and you can if necessary take more liberties with it. But nonetheless cynicism must be dispelled when it comes to Canadians and Hockey and it's probably not irrational to assume that things are truly being done for the love of the sport and not money. Canadians have destroyed entire cities over the outcomes of Hockey Games and this French-English biopic is authentically Canadian and at least claimed to set out to tell the whole true story. But from a film making standpoint did this prove worthwhile? Or is it just a sick indulgence from a nation with an unhealthy love of an icy blood sport? Let's take a mother puckin' look.

The film is about French speaking, Montreal, NHL player Maurice Richard (Roy Dupuis who is so damned stone faced I can't tell if he's a great or just god awful actor) who is widely regarded as the greatest player the league has ever seen due to the sheer amount of goals he scored and tremendous physical obstacles he over came through skilled skating. Richard was significantly smaller than the average hockey player and had a weak bone structure as well but he overcame all this as well as a prejudice the league had towards French speaking Canadian players to become one of the greats and blah, blah, blah. I'm sorry, it's great he overcame all this but this is about all of interest this story has to say and we've heard it all a million times before. The man has no troubles at home and indeed has an exceptionally loving and devoted wife Lucille (Julie Le Breton who goes through the motion of silent suffering athlete wife). He has minor disagreements with his hard ass coach the American Mr. Norchet (Michel Barrette who is equally uninspired) but nothing out of the ordinary in fact the coach seems stern but very supportive. Here the movie falls short as it shows the fact that Richard is really good at hockey is about the bulk of what it has to actually say.

Don't get me wrong there's plenty of subtext here and buried under all the hockey is a story of a minority over coming some deep rooted racism inherent in the NHL at the time but the lack of passion due to the movie's deep desire to get the facts straight makes it feel like nothing but Hockey. Now don't get me wrong the film captures in Charles Biname is capable hands the feeling of hockey exceptionally well and the stunts are so beautifully choreographed that while I know nothing of hockey or skating techniques I could appreciate that at least the Richard the film portrays here had some serious moves. Not only that but there are two moments of typical hockey gone bad violence that I really enjoyed and got a laugh out of the viewing audience I saw this with but I believe it's because it was a break from all the skating and talking. But still as a period piece the film is beautifully handled and makes me want to see more by the Director which saddens me this is his only widely released film and even this wasn't that widely released. There are a lot of brilliantly composed shots in here and the sets seem authentic enough which more than makes up for the lack of much to say and the lackluster ordinary performances.

I won't say this is a bad movie but it has some serious glaring flaws, such as its over zealous desire to be factually accurate making it at times incredibly uninteresting. I found the life of Maurice Richard to be ultimately fascinating but here a little too in depth which made the cheesy moments of triumph and the pretentious shout outs seem all the more glaring and annoying. At the end of the day a sports movie doesn't have to be about the best of the best to be an amazing genre defining film and this movie proves the inverse is also true. The movie will keep your interest all the way through and many times even entertain you but when you ultimately realize how little it has to say it will go as quickly as it came out of your memory. Still I imagine for hockey fans this is a must see particularly fans of Richard and for everyone else there are worse ways to spend your time.
½ June 11, 2011
The best hockey movie ever made.
½ June 3, 2011
Biopic of Maurice "The Rocket" Richard and the bias French-Canadian hockey players faced in the NHL in the 40s and 50s. Decent story but cheesy production values and the worst English dubbing I've heard/seen since "Godzilla."
Did enjoy the scene of Richard beating the crap out of Bob Dill (played by Sean Avery.)
½ May 30, 2011
Once again, the film suffers from what many other biographical films do: cramming too much story into one two hour film. However, it is a treat to watch for any hockey fan.
½ April 28, 2011
Un bon petit film qui nous fait bien comprendre l'ampleur et l'impact qu'a eu le Rocket dans le monde du hockey. Brillante performance de Roy Dupuis, comme d'hab.
½ March 4, 2011
Elokuva Canadiensien keppinojailulegenda Maurice Richardista. Elokuva ei juuri säväytä, jos ei ole miehestä edes koskaan kuullut. Suurennuslasin alla on ranskankielisten asema Pohjois-Amerikassa.
March 1, 2011
One of the best, if not THE best hockey movies I've ever seen. Roy Dupuis is The Rocket! Truly awesome job of capturing hockey in the 40's & 50's and a fine tribute to the Canadiens, and one of hockey's greatest heroes.