Maurice Richard (The Rocket) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maurice Richard (The Rocket) Reviews

January 20, 2011
Every bit as single-minded as its French-Canadian protagonist, pic overwhelms a potentially interesting story in careful literalism and elaborate period detail.
December 29, 2010
Slow. Dull. Weird, especially Dupuis!!! Man, just skip this one, even if you love hockey. Skip it!
December 23, 2010
Très bon film qui nous rappelle notre triste sort de Canadiens Français ! LOL
December 13, 2010
As it focuses on Richard the man, and not just Richard the hockey player, this film should hold interest even for those who know very little about the sport. Beautifully shot; great secondary characters. It all seems a bit... heavy at times, but I guess that makes sense given the amount of work Richard had to do both in and out of the NHL.
½ November 12, 2010
A good film about a famous Canadian hockey player during 1942-1960 career with the Montréal Canadiens. The facts were established in this film but it was plain and not that exciting. A real disappointment.
½ October 13, 2010
Une page d'histoire brillamment mise en contexte. Jeux d'acteurs efficace et surprenant. Plusieurs sauts dans le temps et des oublis (ou coupure au montage) de personnages secondaires importants. Finale bâclée.
½ October 8, 2010
A good depiction of his story, but if you didn't know the story beforehand you'd get kind of lost. Characters aren't really introduced so you're left wondering "who the heck was that?" instead of worrying about the plot. The hockey scenes were amazing, though.
May 5, 2010
A spiritual high-octane adrenaline fueled jump up and cheer classic sports film that (in my opinion) is a modern classic. Maurice is an astonishing hockey player in canadian history, and to have a movie made this well on a gifted player is an honour for our country. For an independant film, it sure the delivers and never disapoints throughout!
April 23, 2010
Tougher and tougher.
February 17, 2010
One of the best Canadian films in years, "The Rocket" tells the story of Maurice Richard from working class to the nascient NHL's star player leading the Montreal Canadians to the top and becoming an icon for the Quebecios. Features stand out performances from Roy Dupuis as Richard, revealing the on-and-off ice passions that drove the man and Stephen McHattie as Dick Irvin Montreals couch who demanded nothing less then the best from his players.
January 9, 2010
If I were a hockey fan I might see this as Richard is a legend among hockey fans. But I'm not as much a hockey fan. I used to be a sportswriter, however, so I may get around to it.
December 31, 2009
�trangement, je m'attendais à un film mauvais, mais je me suis retrouvé avec une maudite bonne histoire bien fait.
½ December 27, 2009
A fantastic biopic about a true sports legend, Maurice Richard, and arguably every bit as strong a hockey film there is.
½ December 15, 2009
Amazing. I wouldn't call this a hockey movie, but prob the greatest movie centered around it since Miracle. Just a solid bio film about an epic athlete.
November 23, 2009
Intense, mais trop condensé
November 12, 2009
Probably the best hockey film ever made. And please, don't give me that "Slapshot" or "Youngblood" crap. This time, we're talking about pure beauty and real social issues. You know, Art? " Maurice Richard... C'est tout le Quebec debout qui fait peur et qui vit ".
November 6, 2009
Sans nuance ni profondeur, ce film m'a laissee de glace.
November 4, 2009
To understand the story of Maurice Richard is to understand history of Hockey and Canada. This movie captures both nicely, from the tensions between english and french canadiens to the Habs and their problems with the league. The dynamics and visuals of the movie are stunning, recreatinos of the original 6's arenas, to the fact that each player could skate and play the game (which is why the directors chose to showcase NHL stars rather than normal actors). Definitely a great movie for history buffs and fans of Les Canadiens
½ November 3, 2009
One of the best sport movie!! plus it's canadien made :)
½ October 13, 2009
A very good sports movie, some great performances (especially by Dupuis), interesting story. Very entertaining.