Mauvais Sang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mauvais Sang Reviews

July 19, 2016
What is most memorable in this lyrical film about unrequited young love is Carax's stylish direction together with a sublime cinematography and production design, even though he overdoes it sometimes and would only be en pointe with his approach in his following oeuvre.
December 21, 2015
Unforgettable, an extraordinary film.
October 27, 2015
There is a frenetic energy to Leos Carax's Mauvais Sang. Helped along by an incredibly physical performance from Denis Levant balanced by the enigmatic, more subdued one from Juliette Binoche, it is a mesmerizing and engrossing film. It starts with a great premise - an epidemic is sweeping the nation's youth. People who have sex without love are struck inexplicably and fatally ill. From there it morphs into an exercise in film style, playing with genre and the image until the final result becomes something difficult to understand, but ultimately facinating. It might me unclear exactly what Carax's aim is with this film, but that doesn't make it any less worthwhile.
October 7, 2015
Stylishly shot and fitfully brilliant (that flailing purge of emotion set to David Bowie's "Modern Love" is unforgettable), Mauvais Sang begins as a traditional heist movie and morphs into a complex assessment of love in modern times. Its slightly surreal tone is both accommodating and off-putting, almost removing the film from a place of reality at all; sadly, it's also calculated in a way that stunts its impact, settling for greatness when it could've reached the masterful territory of Carax's later effort Holy Motors.
March 2, 2015
Juliette Binoche and Julie Delpy but they're just window dressing! The real shooting star of the film is Denis Lavant!
November 26, 2014
Quirky surreal fun with a rather dark edge.
November 21, 2014
Mauvais Sang é terrivelmente entediante e perde a oportunidade de desenvolver um enredo que tinha ótimas chances de originar um filme incrível. Movido pelo meu encantamento pelo primeiro filme do diretor, acreditei que fosse me deparar com mais um filme maravilhoso. Ao contrário do que esperava, nem os próprios diálogos ou o silêncio fluem aqui. Tanto Alex quanto Anna, personagens principais, não conseguem causar empatia; opostamente, me davam agonia: um pela prepotência, outra pela fraqueza. (Aliás, é incrível ver o mal aproveitamento da Binoche aqui, que se torna um fantoche apático. Estava acostumado a ver interpretações bem melhores dela e foi um choque).
September 6, 2014
After debuting with what may be the best French film of the 80s, Leos Carax's sophomore picture was a very logical follow-up. Using the new-wave mode to tell a genre-influenced tale, Mauvais Sang is rich in ideas and spectacle, even if it's head is a bit murky. The film's intentionally fleeting narrative and archaic dialogue can clash more than sing at times, and one could make a case of the film being style over substance. Still, it's moments of greatness are too visible for one to call this picture a sophomore slump.
May 27, 2014
A nifty crime movie and love story. Beautifully shot. Sags frequently under the weight of pretension, but soars occasionally in unbridled cinematic joy as well.
April 1, 2014
Il s'agit de bien l'amour.
October 2, 2013
Moody, Imaginative Drama...
½ September 10, 2013
Monday, September 9, 2013

(!986) The Night Is Young/ Mauvais sang
(In French with English subtitles)
PSYCHOLOGICAL DRAMA/ ART HOUSE

An unknown man gets killed while waiting for the subway, we don't really know who he is nor quite know why he was killed. As it turns out, he happens to be one of the two people of a group who owed this lady a lot of money which Marc (Michel Piccoli)was only given only two weeks to repay all that money back as well as pay for his partners as well. This father who was killed also happens to have a son named Alex (Denis Lavant), and they recruit him for his father's place to steal some chemical vials. This little scenario serves no purpose but a backdrop to the many pointless advance scenes of Alex toward a young Anna(Juliette Binoche) since she's already in love with Marc who's like 70 year old. Written and directed by Leos Carax who's Influenced by Jean Luc Godard which there's a lot of meanderings and to me that's dull and boring. Julie Delpy also stars in this as Alex's girlfriend Lise.

2 out of 4 stars
½ November 20, 2012
Wildly creative director, but wherever did he get the idea that that made it beneath him to team up with someone who could actually write a script?
½ November 12, 2012
Anna: Life is splendid with him. He guides me so well. He requires of me very beautiful things, very rigorous. You know, he is self-taught. Yes, he has done it all. He looked at me with the eyes of an inventor, with the eyes of a researcher, like I was an invaluable discovery, as if I had the solution to something. Something secret and mysterious that is hidden deep inside him. Sometimes I get so close, so near, but more often I am light years away? Curious, isn't it? It's my life, this thing, this thing like an enigma. An enigma that glues us together, both of us accomplices together. Maybe our love will die if it is solved too early or maybe not at all.

Tengo que confesar, que mientras veía la película no la entendí mucho, las escenas no tenían una continuidad, y había simbolismos por todas partes, pero me costó comprender lo que pasaba. Hasta que leí la sipnosis, es cuando todo empezó a tener sentido. La fotografía es hermosa y hay unas escenas que me quitaron el aliento. Los colores también le dieron a la película un toque especial.
½ October 25, 2012
Mauvais Sang is a fascinating romance/ crime drama a la Leos Carax. The vibrant visual and its unconventional way of storytelling add much whimsy to the film as well, and the performances are superb, especially Lavant, who veritably embodies Carax' vision with his character's eccentric, mysterious and yet engaging quality.
½ October 3, 2012
Taking a somewhat well-worn crime romance story, Leos Carax transforms the material into a a vivid and energetic exercise in style. Some extraordinary cinematography and creative editing was the highlight of the film for me, as despite having two very young looking French beauties in Binoche and Delpy, I could take or leave the actual plot and only really found Lavant interesting when using his acrobatic energy, rather than acting per se. Perhaps a little like Tarantino, you do have to wonder if a talent like Carax is really interested in the narrative side of cinema compared to the image-making. He certainly shows a creative flair and his passion and knowledge shine through, notably when bearing in mind the film was released in 1986, As a story, however, it did nothing for me and the greatest films for me are the ones that successfully get the right balance of both narrative and image.
½ September 2, 2012
Carax does 80s Melville, with non sequitur fits of stylistic fancy. Playful enough but bloated by endless soliloquies.
½ August 11, 2012
A bold and painterly vision. Like teenage poetry. #MIFF2012
August 5, 2012
A wonderful film by Carax and while there is an element of science fiction, it's as much about the heist, the love story - and many other subplots. Shot in the style of early Godard, with passing nods to several other directors.