Max - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Max Reviews

July 3, 2014
A pretty good approximation of the young artist and zealot.
January 17, 2014
Beautiful and chilling at the same time.
July 5, 2013
Powerful film with one of the most hauntingly memorable endings that I've ever seen.
January 5, 2013
a great and memorable movie
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage. Really wanted to see this controversial film about the art dealer who had a friendship with Hitler.
December 5, 2012
Very tough subject matter. Superb acting all around. Makes you sad to know art could have, maybe, saved all that happened.
½ November 18, 2012
Very unappealing subject matter.
½ August 4, 2012
Cusack plays a Jewish art dealer who takes a young artist under his wing, by the name of Adolf Hitler. A compelling watch.
July 26, 2012
That may sound weird, but Noah is a great Hitler! Interesting movie, well played, some writing flaws, but nicely done overall.
½ May 12, 2012
An intelligent and utterly compelling hypothetical question in which scholarly musings and dramatic irony come together to create a powerful, thought-provoking experience.
October 30, 2011
'Politics is the new art.' ~Adolf Hitler
September 21, 2011
Interesting but confusing investigation of the roots of Hitler's aspirations.
August 7, 2011
They stabbed us in the back
hunterjt13
July 21, 2011
An art critic attempts to encourage a disturbing young man's art and dissuade him from pursuing political aspirations ... oh, and the young man is Hitler.
A colleague recommended I see this film because, in his words, "People criticized it for humanizing Hitler, but I thought that was one of its strengths." His point is that we so often dichotomize, see historical and political differences in clear terms of good and evil: the bad guys have the red light sabers and the good guys have the blue or green ones. His point, and I would argue the film's point, is that human beings, even the most depraved ones, are motivated by a myriad of influences, and dichotomies, by definition, are reductive.
The film presents Hitler in no gentle terms. He never smiles, but when you glimpse his teeth, they are nothing to behold, gray and misshapen. He screams a lot. He's remarkably insecure. The roots of his antisemitism are presented in no uncertain terms. He makes everyone around him uneasy. In the end, I would argue that the film didn't humanize him enough because the character, aside from his insecurity, is just as unlikable and impossible to identify with as you would expect. I'm not proposing that Hitler be portrayed in positive terms, quite the opposite. What I'm writing is this: here is a man who rose to power because something he said connected with people; he also was married. A humanizing portrait of him would get to the root of what his supporters saw in him even as we can whole-heartedly reject his ideology.
But it's a noble, risky, and controversial proposition to begin with, and I think it's admirable for Max to attempt to make us see the world in less myopic terms.
John Cusack is great as the Jewish art critic who attempts to take Hitler under his wing. The direction by Menno Meyjes is also quite strong, able to convey character and story in some single, beautifully framed shots.
Overall, Max is not a great film, but it's an interesting conversation-starter; questions like "Is our historical understanding narrow?" or "Is this film's attempt immoral/unethical?" are worth asking.
July 20, 2011
Тка 62% liked it,а 3/4длие 1/2 ил 1/4...л"ев 3/4 1/2е 1/4аа, вк?,или ~а? 1/2е 1/4а 1/4?
½ July 13, 2011
But Noah Taylor = awesome as usual.
½ March 26, 2011
A muddled attempted at asking whether Hitler's art could have prevented him from his foray into politics. Cusack is fine, and Noah Taylor has his moments as a young Adolf Hitler, but the film bites off more than it can chew, and in the end feels a bit like a mildly interesting play crossed with some rather interesting ideas that never really come together to create a truly engaging film.
½ March 20, 2011
Creo que esta pelicula intenta humanizar a uno de los mas temidos villanos del mundo moderno. Si bien, la historia no es real (o al menos eso creemos) COnsidero que la pelicula presenta una realidad alterna lo suficientemente buena y creible de lo que pudo haber ocurrido con Hitler. Ademas, todos los actores y actrices participan de esta pelicula, logran conmovernos, hacernos odiarlos y quererlos. De por si, no soy fan de Susack, pero debo admitir que su papel me encanto y, Taylor simplemente se luce. Tambien, encontre que la pelicula tiene varias escenas bien logradas, bastante sutiles pero con mucho significado para el desarrollo de la misma y hasta para examinar la historia de los Nazis. En conclusion, si eres fan de las peliculas de nazis, la historia del WW2 o de buenas peliculas, creo que esta es un MUST, para disfrutar. Altamente recomendada.
½ March 12, 2011
an interesting story made into a pretty boring film.