Maxed Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maxed Out Reviews

½ February 27, 2016
If the devil ever presented himself to the world in the form of hard plastic, he would be a credit card with a $10,000 credit line, and he would allow himself access to the broke or erratically employed with regularity. Even though this documentary was released 10 years ago, the cautionary warning message still resonates today for credit card customers (which really should be referred to as 'bank loan' cards because the term 'credit' card carries misleading connotations of receiving 'free money'). The strong temptation for one to live above their means combined with inadequate finances can send many into bankruptcy and even worse, as this film points out, provoke some to take their own life because of massive credit card debt. What this documentary points out most emphatically is that banks and credit card companies don't make much money off of the financially responsible 'good' customers, but rather they 'bank' on (pun intended) the late payment fees and over-the-limit fees incurred by those desperate for a short-term fix to their long-term financial problems. I would recommend this documentary that promotes a much needed cautionary warning for all college students and young adults who are new to the idea of personal responsibility and the challenges of maintaining financial self-sufficiency.
June 28, 2015
Sounds interesting. I've been toying with the idea of getting a credit card, but it may be something to say no to on principal even though I'm Scottish enough not to get in trouble with it.
May 7, 2015
Maxed Out is a very informative documentary that even though I didn't care for much, I think everyone should watch. It's a scary outlook as to what will happen when you abuse credit. It's honestly really freaky what happens to these people and it can shape viewers in the process. My problem with this movie is that it drags at more than a few times and that some people needed subtitles because of their tone and quietness of their voice. I liked this movie but it's nothing a documentary hasn't done before. B-
August 14, 2014
This pre-2008 documentary is shockingly prophetic...
August 8, 2014
Troubling anecdotal stories as pot shots against corporate evil.
June 18, 2014
Want to see, can't find.
May 17, 2014
While really outdated as there has been a lot of legislation around credit, it does a bad job of making me feel for a lot of these people. Save for a few people who got put in bad situations outside of their control, most people didn't read the fine print or who were amazed by the salesman doing their pitch. At the end of the day, every business is out there to make money. Yes, they are going to offer you this product or service at this price, but it costs them far less to give you that service so they can make a profit and build a business. Yes, the creditors in this movie aren't great people, but they are just exploiting a system that is broken. Basically, where is the talk about being personally responsible for your finances and not spending more than you make. Then it also has a bit about the national debt, which isn't entirely related to personal debt, but is something that worries me until that gets to a much more manageable figure. They touch on the government is spending more than it makes, but conveniently doesn't bring it up when talking about individuals. 2ish
½ March 21, 2014
Scary. Just plain scary. This should make everyone cut their credit cards. I've been in debd and still am (student loans) but I haven't had a credit card in over 7 years and only buy what I can afford and it's been refreshing. The only time this hurt me was when purchasing a car. Next up... buying a house.

I love how the director shows how vicious the debt collectors are, but the collectors themselves seen themselves as saviors. but was disappointed at how little it went into details about really how, especially details about the companies that charges all those interest.

The rich just getting richer off the poor. There is no more middle class.
December 4, 2013
Great but depressing documentary about how credit card companies are killing not just the economy but people, relationships, and families.
November 2, 2013
Scathing documentary on the debt crisis.
½ June 7, 2013
incredibly thought provoking warning of credit card economic dangers
March 22, 2013
Very informative, banks and credit card companies prey on the middle and lower income population, as they are the bread and butter of their business, because they will pay minimum payments literally FOREVER!!
March 18, 2013
There are great lessons in this film about the perils of credit - but - like one who is hustled on the streets for not being street smart - if you believe that renting money does not have a cost - and you buy stuff you cannot afford - you will drown in debt in other words, you will get hustled.
I am a little distraught that this movie focused on only one side of the issue and not on the other side - the lack of personal responsibility. Nobody forced these people to get credit cards. If these vultures continue to exist, then we must educate our children not to become easy prey . . . especially when they hit college.
½ February 10, 2013
La tristesse de ces américains. L'Amérique n'est qu'une fuite en avant!
½ February 5, 2013
Interesting to see the inner workings of the consumer lending business. However, and this is a big however, the movie presented big companies and government the main problem, leaving crushed victims behind them in a wake of profits and unfair business practices. What has happened to personal responsibility in this country? If a person is mentally or physically impaired they should be looked out for, but everyone else is responsible for themselves. We are all responsible to read the fine print and be aware of what we are signing up for.
January 30, 2013
great documentary! shows how credit card companies and the goverment work together in order to get people into debt
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
½ November 5, 2012
It sucks as a documentary (poor narration, no stats, few facts, few emotional highs) but excels at making its main point: debt or death. A country that allows this is a shitty country whoever's in the White House.
September 10, 2012
A decent effort but just feels like random interviews thrown together without exploring how people get to this point.
September 3, 2012
A little out of date since it was filmed pre-2008, but still interesting.