May - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

May Reviews

½ October 13, 2016
An under the radar slasher that doesn't get enough credit.
July 19, 2016
Saw this roughly around the time it came out back when I was around 16. It was one of the only horror movies that has stuck with me through out the years as a stark pin point for disturbing.
July 11, 2016
Although 'Bettis' and 'Faris' do what they can, everything else is remotely unsatisfying.
½ May 24, 2016
This one really gets under my skin. I'm not really distressed by the subject of most horror films because they are usually about things I personally have no fear of ... serial killers, the supernatural, giant bugs and the like. Films about people slipping into degradation and insanity and not really noticing it get to me because that shit really happens ... all the time. Angela Bettis is extremely convincing as a woman who is really just extremely socially awkward, but plummets into deep pits of insanity due to her inability to connect with anyone. That scares me. Anna Faris is her usual radiant self, and this time she really has a good role to play. That's all too rare for her.
½ May 11, 2016
4 1/2 STAR HORROR FLICK. very rarely do i feel this way about anything in the genre...i have my favorites, the rest suck. i would have given it 5 STARS, but Sisto's acting should have been caught and corrected.

this movie is more than a simple horror film. it's a social message and should be heeded.

that said....great soundtrack. hilarious at times (namely thanks to Anna Faris's portrayal of a dumb lipstick lesbian trying SUPER hard to hookup with May), and mainly, Angela Bettis's spot-on performance throughout the movie. you really feel what it's like to be a person like her.
i could go on about personal angst and social anxiety and the hatred we feel towards the people who look down on us for having a scar in the wrong place or a lisp or a limp or whatever is wrong with you........but that would be unnecessary, because that's not what THIS movie is about.

it's about getting back at them for it. plain and simple.
it's about snapping and getting even.
it's another version of Carrie and Frankenstein and Psycho...but it also makes you understand why things like Columbine happen.

it's about being systematically tortured and weirded out on every single day from preschool on.
it's about trying to stay out of the line of sight, yet being singled out for these very reasons.
it's about wanting the perfect friend.

it's about one girl getting fed up with her dolls and pretty much everybody else......saying, NO MORE! i'll just keep the best bits......
(minus the supernatural elements...LOL)
April 15, 2016
Builds up to an explosive, horrifying climax.
½ March 10, 2016
Totally deranged and poorly made. I hated this strange movie. (First and only viewing - 3/8/2016)
½ February 27, 2016
Slightly obscure with its psychological mixed with gore storyline, but does hold the attention.
½ January 9, 2016
Gross stupid and weird a triple threat just an awful movie.i put a half a star but its really a negative two stars.
½ January 7, 2016
Another interesting low budget horror from the director of the excellent 'The Woman' (2011). The film builds unease very well up to a point with plenty of inventiveness. The final act doesn't quite live up to the early work but still a worthwhile view.
½ December 30, 2015
Horror? No. Horrible? YES. Not even any satisfaction can be gained from her obviously-forthcoming "vengeance". DON'T bother.
½ December 20, 2015
Until the end, this is quite an original story, unfortunately, it is badly acted, so much so it's awkward to watch. The horror parts take a long time to get going and when they come, there isn't much to it. A shame really.
October 31, 2015
Awesome movie. The plot is pretty fresh and bizarre, the script is really solid and the performances are great, especially Bettis. Her incredibly awkward nature is hysterical and fun to watch, and her disturbed psyche she delivers perfectly.
October 23, 2015
Strange story about a young woman desperate for friends and attention who decides to "make her own friend". Very well acted and directed in a style that's very sad at times, this is not a happy movie. It's very gory and a whole essay could be written on the psychology behind what makes May tick. This is sort of a modern take on the whole "Frankenstein" experience. Not bad once you get past the very slow first act.
½ October 23, 2015
What a sad little girl. We all just want to be acknowledged.
October 10, 2015
It begins creepy and unsettling, and gradually gets more and more disgusting both physically and psychologically. The final scene is horrifying.
August 18, 2015
Bettis' performance is truly a wonder to behold. Plot is predictable but effectively done.

But the cast list is at the very end of the credits, behind all the Casting Directors and Assistant Directors and Best Boys and Worst Boys all the children no one cares about except themselves. No one else cares, they want to see the cast list. To list it at the very end of the credits is an insult..
July 14, 2015
May is a cut above most other modern day slasher flicks thanks to a terrifically layered performance from Angela Bettis and concise, tense pacing
June 11, 2015
May is terrifying, brutally disturbing.... powerful components of horror mixed with an explosive performance by Angela Bettis. Very good movie!!! one of the disturbiest endings i've seen... 4/5
June 9, 2015
May is one of my favorite horror movies, as well as one of the most underrated horror movies EVER. I urge everyone to see it before they die. It's brilliant.

It's like a modern day Frankenstein tale made all the more realistic by Angela Bettis' INCREDIBLE performance. Everything she does here is believable. Even though May goes into slasher territory halfway through, Bettis doesn't make her titular character one of those immortal masked murderers. She's just a lonely, deeply disturbed woman trying to make a friend.

Lucky McKee's directional debut is unforgettable. It's a dark, creepy, highly original horror movie with frightening imagery and one of the best final shots I've seen in a movie.