Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision Reviews

½ March 11, 2014
An extraordinarily simple Documentary about a young Chinese/American Yale student who enters a Vietnam War Memorial Competition & wins but faces some incredible opposition & slander for a 21 year old.

Maya Lin is as humble as she is extraordinary & has an incredible gift to understand her memorials deeply & in turn connected with people.

Her work on the civil rights memorial was truly outstanding & she is truly gifted. This is a documentary about a simple artist who achieve great things...a sensational documentary!
May 15, 2012
Interesting story. I'm a little unclear how this won Best Documentary. It wasn't that great. But, the parts where she is actually creating or talking about creating art--versus the reactions against her art--are terrific.
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Buddy.
½ June 29, 2011
A good, but not great, documentary on a great Chinese-American artist. There should've maybe been more exploration of her life outside her work.
January 1, 2011
: A superb film about a remarkable artist and architect and her work and aesthetic. There were moments I found my eyes welling with tears. Highly recommended.
½ August 10, 2010
Terrific. I've been to the 'Wall'. My sense of the memorial was complimented by this film about Maya Lin's 'strong, clear vision'. It's so interesting to watch her work as her true artistic spirit takes shape. We are fortunate that Maya was generous enough to let us glimpse her creative process. She is so focused and so articulate in rendering her personal muse into words---an uncommon gift---probably a result of her academic parents, one an artist and the other, an English teacher.(PS: Another reviewer was critical because she had become so predictable, making the same thing over and over. I suppose that person would find Frank Lloyd Wright boring because he just kept building 'buildings' all his life!)
½ November 9, 2009
A fascinating subject in itself, Maya Lin has an interesting vision and it is amazing how young she was when she designed 'The Wall.' I thought the film made a nice circle with the order of storytellin. Whether intentional or not, it played off Maya's work well because circles are very prominent in her designs.
½ July 4, 2009
She is so amazing...:)
½ April 16, 2009
This standard documentary portrays Asian American artist/architect Maya Lin and her production of memorials of significant social importance. The heated objection surrounding her Vietnam War memorial split veterans in half and demanded attention on subjects such as race, gender, and the futility of human lives. The film succeeds in showing Lin as a designer whose projects represent the significant thought she puts into each. Unfortunately the film feels like a classroom video, a standard informative fare that exists solely as textbookish back-story.
½ December 13, 2008
Besides seeing a masterful architect at work... this is a place I'd like to visit since seeing this documentary. Pays tribute to the Vietnam War victims and draws people close in a time of loss.
July 2, 2008
It's not the most intriguingly made doc, but Maya Lin's work is pretty interesting. Especially the Vietnam Veterens memorial she created at the age of twenty and the initial controversy surrounding it.
April 23, 2008
Recommended by Buddy.
April 22, 2008
An exceptional film about an extraordinary woman. Mock engages the viewer like few documentary directors can (though most try). Very emotional and more than a little eye-opening, especially the reaction many people had to Lin's ethnicity (she's an Asian woman who designed the Vietnam Memorial Wall, something several people found unacceptable, which of course is petty and small-minded). Highly recommended.
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
March 22, 2008
Fascinating story of the artist who created the Vietnam memorial in Washington, D.C. I had no idea of the controversy surrounding the design selection until seeing this film.
½ February 25, 2008
Fascinating documentary. I never knew any of this and it was interesting to learn. Maya Lin is an extraordinary artist and I really enjoyed just listening to her talk about her work. Inspiring.
February 19, 2008
See how a girl grew into a woman in the public's eyes. How she stood firm on the grounds admist all troubles and realised what she sees at first sight. Admirable.
November 9, 2007
Indeed best documentary!
October 14, 2007
Valuable in that it lets us get inside the mind of the artist as much as possible. While she is famous for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, many of her other works are just as remarkable.
January 11, 2007