Maytime - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maytime Reviews

½ April 28, 2016
Maytime is an amazing film. It is about elderly Miss Morrison recounts her life as the once young and beautiful opera singer Marcia Morney. Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Robert Z. Leonard did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
½ December 31, 2014
The best of the MacDonald/Eddy musicals, this film was the worldwide box-office champion of 1937. MGM's lush photography adds to the romantic storyline and the presence of John Barrymore gives the film stature; the duo sings "Will You Remember? (Sweetheart)," among others songs, both popular and operatic.
October 29, 2012
My favorite of MacEddy. Great voices, great music and a wonderful performance of Macdonald.
August 27, 2012
my second favorite but their 3rd studio pairing
½ July 4, 2009
When people say "they don't make 'em like they used to" - Maytime is most likely the film they are referring to. I really can't imagine this film being made today using the same type of 1930's conventions and be anything but a groan-inducer to modern audiences.
Yet I found this flick most satisfying *sniff sniff* Pass the tissue for cry please *thanks*

A spinster (Jeanette MacDonald) espies her young neighbor quarraling with her boyfriend. It seems the young girl shows promise to become an opera singer if only she moves away to New York for advanced vocal training. The boyfriend has his own selfish plans for her - namely being a wife - so moving away to New York not an option *boo hiss*
The spinster consoles the crying young lady and she proceeds to tell her own tale of LOVE crossed with AMBITION...

- queue flashback -

It seems the spinster was once a famous opera singer too - the great Marcia Mornay - who at the time was betrothed to her stern, yet very competent mentor/manager Nicolai Nazaroff (John Barrymore). One evening, Marcia Mornay is out riding (for a breath of cool air) when the horse suddenly bolts loose of her carriage. She is conveniently stranded, though, in front to a beer hall filled with the sound of raucous singing. Intrigued...Marsha enters the establishment and sees that the singing is being led by one Paul Allison (Nelson Eddy) a penniless opera student...and so the love triangle is established!

Not only is this a treat for classic fans but for music lovers too. The selection of songs in this one is varied enough and is just a wonderful showcase of the vocal talents of both MacDonald and Eddy. I haven't seen all of the Jeannette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy films yet -but this one is becoming an early favorite...MGM spared no expenses with this one - the production values are quite high...and the lavish costumes that Jeannette wears - magnificent!!!

...and did I mention that nobody, but nobody can smolder like John Barrymore? He gives the mother-of-all-smolders in this one...

So just this once - leave your modern conventions behind please- and enjoy this great romantic musical...*where's that damn box of tissue?*
½ June 24, 2009
This is my favorite Jeanette/Nelson movie. A lovely story and BEAUTIFUL music! There is nothing better than listening to them sing the duet from "Czaritza" (a variation of Tchiakovsy's 9th). John Barrymore is also wonderful as Jeanette's voice coach/husband.
December 27, 2008
Good! I always forget how good the Barrymore's are until I see them again. The couple is great, as well, and, as much as I wished for a happy ending, I respect the movie for not doing so.
½ August 11, 2008
I love this team one of their best
½ July 2, 2008
Made me cry like a fool. Spoiler warning: that young girl should have gone to New York to become an opera singer, dag nab it. Kip could have come too. But wow - Jeannette MacDonald is great!
December 11, 2007
I love these two together and Maytime is probaly my favorite one they did. The singing is astounding and the ending is so beautiful. Their movies never fail to make me smile.
December 1, 2007
Wonderful movie. Very sad, but very meaningful. The story stays with you long after the movie ends.
½ November 28, 2007
Two of my parents favourite stars in their favourite film. They watched this every May. I grew up with this and love the music and the sad story. Two "Sweethearts" at thier best!
June 11, 2007
I love Nelson Eddy...will you remember- classic!
June 6, 2007
One of the most romantic and beautiful movies ever made. The music and singing is incredible as well.
½ June 4, 2007