McLintock! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

McLintock! Reviews

February 26, 2013
A Funny John Wayne Flick. Very good movie to watch with the family
½ January 22, 2013
Might be my favorite John Wayne film, but is for sure my favorite poster for any one of his movies!
January 20, 2013
Great John Wayne movie comedy classic
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
November 25, 2012
As western/comedies go 'McLintock' is one of the best. Despite being slightly too long, Wayne and O'Hara generate enough chemistry and charm to keep you entertained.
October 11, 2012
this is a diverse movie. comedy, action, romance. why can't modern movies cover all that. it's usually one or the other. or one advertised as the other.
October 7, 2012
good western john wayne
½ September 25, 2012
The comedy's a little too broad for me, but there were some good parts to it--especially the very end, which was pretty humorous. There's some good fights, too.
September 3, 2012
John Wayne at his Katherine O'Hara beating best.

McLintock! (my favorite use of the exclamation mark, and made by Andrew V. McLaglen, 1963)) is John Wayne's bombastic Western that helped define his star image, in which he plays a wealthy cattle baron in the old West whose shrewish estranged wife (Maureen O'Hara) suddenly returns to his home in anticipation of their daughter (Stefanie Powers)'s return from boarding school (or college, or something like that). Mrs. McLintock wishes to take the girl back to the state capitol with her to live a proper, upper class life, while John wants his daughter to marry the right man and pursue her own destiny. More than that, he wants to hang on to the life and legacy he has built there in town as greedy landowners conspire to take it away from him. This parallels the U.S government's efforts to relocate the Native American tribes in the area, a fact that also weighs in Mr. McLintock's mind. Can McLintock keep the peace both in his city and his household? That's the film.

And it's not much of a question, because the answer is, "of course he can! And he can do it with gusto!" We know this because that's how he does everything else, deflecting his wife's barbs and actually spanking her, while belting a man after saying that he won't in possibly the most famous moment of John Wayne's whole career. McLintock is a larger than life figure, earning that exclamation mark, and while he can be annoyed (as he is repeatedly in this film), he can't be brought down, which he proves by resolving nearly every conflict he encounters with bravado, earning the respect of both his foes, his friends, and his daughter's would be suitor (Patrick Warren), the inspiration for the spanking trick. He wins back his household (thus getting the girl), cements his legacy, and comes out the good ol' American superhero we've all been told John Wayne is. It's cute, and entertaining.

Is it a good film? Eh...

Look, I don't hate McLintock!, by any means. I just recognize it for what it is. This is how traditional Americans view the ideal of manhood, a proud, strong, decisive man who doesn't take no guff and keeps "his" women in line. It's a movie that illustrates the generation gap in 1963 better than many other films I can think of. Again, a little known fact (for some reason) is that in the early '60's, television was kicking the movies' ass, and young people (the mobile part of the population, upwardly and otherwise) just weren't all that into this kind of hero and this kind of story. Don't know how well this film did in its time (John Wayne was still a big star), but this Hollywood was in the process of breaking down as the new American culture was taking shape. The economy was good, and science and technology had brought about a whole new set of entertainment options. Things to do. Places, and more importantly, ideas to explore. This was when everyone started questioning everything, and young audiences thought this kind of character with these sensibilities was pretty old hat. As a result, those of us born afterward tend to watch movies like McLintock! With a sense of irony. We know how outmoded all of this is, and how you can get put in jail for abusing your wife today. We know that being big and bombastic is kind of obnoxious to a lot of people. We know that John Wayne's confused values about Native Americans (a confusion far from exclusive to him) aren't all that appealing in the modern era. So you have to take this material with a grain of salt, which wasn't necessarily the intention of the filmmakers. Still, for what it is - well shot, colorful, with beautiful woman, tough guys, and simple values - it is an exemplar. Don't love it, but don't hate it. B-
September 3, 2012
An anachronism that's hard to hate
½ August 11, 2012
A western in the sense that it is set in the west during the time period when we think all westerns are. It is more of a comedy than anything with the crux being the relationship between Wayne and O'Hara, or lack thereof at the start. Wayne plays the owner of most of the land and industry of the area with O'Hara his estranged wife, back east living the life of the upper-crust. She is back awaiting the return of their daughter, Stephanie Powers, who must choose between a life back east with her mother or out west with her father. The juxtaposition between mother and father is also between the class distinction of the money back east and the hard-earned money out west. This class war is played out throughout the movie with the classroom educated, Agard and Douglas Jr., being portrayed as clumsy and incompetent while the street-smart people, G.W. and the Warren family, faring much better. The class war usually makes for good comedy and throw in a town full of odd characters and this makes for a watchable movie.
August 10, 2012
In the mood for a misogynistic western versions of "The Taming of the Shrew"? Well then this is the movie for you!
July 31, 2012
This is a decent movie. The muddy fight scene is very good as are the battles with his wife!
May 21, 2012
My dad dragged me (a kid) to this when it 1st came out 'cause mom didn't want to go. Too bad, we laughed our asses off. Wayne and Maureen O'Harra coudn't be a better match in movie-heaven.
½ May 20, 2012
this one is my fav i enjoy this movie
½ May 19, 2012
Amazing movie just for the one-liners: "Half of the people in the world are women; why does it have to be YOU that stirs me?"
April 19, 2012
This was John Wayne at his funniest. He and Maureen O'Hara made a great team as an estranged couple. The best part was when they were fighting at the mine shaft and everyone fell into the hole. O'Hara said in an interview at least 45 were fighting in that scene.
April 8, 2012
A real good family fun western movie that may change some people's idea on the Duke as a all short up type of guy.......
April 1, 2012
This is my all time favorite movie...